Underworld Awakening: Coat?

Katsu Ma'roy

I'm trying to identify the military surplus coat that Selene wears in UA. It looks Russian or East German, but I'm not having much luck finding it in any of my usual surplus shops. Is there a style name that might help me in my search?
69832_Kate2_123_160lo.jpg

70517_Kate5_123_379lo.jpg

I can't believe that it's an off the rack, it's got to be custom made for her. With red piping I'd think it'd be Eastern Bloc kind of style.

This is also better off in the costume forum.

Last edited:
That's the thing in movie wardrobe. If something happens to be an off the shelf item it is most certainly custom tailored to the actor. A lot of costume designers just take inspiration of off the shelf and make their own. But I agree does look like a RAF

Wild guess here..Maybe.. East German. Or German WW2 Panzer Overcoat. They have pink piping on them.

That's the thing in movie wardrobe. If something happens to be an off the shelf item it is most certainly custom tailored to the actor. A lot of costume designers just take inspiration of off the shelf and make their own. But I agree does look like a RAF

They'll also take off the rack items and add things to them.

Though, this was probably made FOR Kate. The rest of her outfit is custom made, leading me to believe that the jacket is also custom made.

I am completely obsessed with that coat. Does anyone know where you can order a custom designed coat? Given that there are no reproductions and the pattern probably isn't readily available.

They'll also take off the rack items and add things to them.

Though, this was probably made FOR Kate. The rest of her outfit is custom made, leading me to believe that the jacket is also custom made.

But when she grabbed the jacket from the rack to put on there were a bunch of them. I'm pretty sure it's a mass produced jacket.

I am sure the costume department made a bunch and put them on the rack... they build entire sets, so I'm sure adding a few extra jackets to a rack is simple.
It's either a designers recent creation or a wardrobe custom, but I doubt it's a findable vintage item.

And here I was going to suggest "maybe Czech?" Because I just got to touch vintage Czech military wool coats and mmm...

But hey if you're looking for a custom-builder, I'm not too backlogged on work right now and I loooooove to work in wool. And coats.

You have to remember that the movie is based in an Hungary, Budapest area. That's because the old coven, which was the vampires coven; used to be part of the Hungarian Army and she never left the country. But after some checking up, it was an old RAF jacket that had been in the studio and fitted and customized for Kate's role and the movie. sorry guys

Thanks for this thread! I finally bought the DVD yesterday when it came out. I am equally obsessed with the coat! It's so bad-a$$!

Anyone making this thing / or looking into it? I am thinking about it for DragonCon this year but my sewing skills are limited... :)

Hi guys.

I am pretty sure it is not an RAF greatcoat, I think it is too grey. I have two because I am in the RAF and mine are more blue/grey in colour or at least they seem so to me.

Having said that I know that they pop up on eBay quite a lot and they are never horrendous money so you could certainly tailor one to get a close approximation I reckon :D

Good luck!

I live in Virginia and I managed to find the exact coat at a vintage clothing store which we have. The one I got cost me about 95 bucks and its in pretty good condition.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back