Underworld Awakening: Coat?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Katsu Ma'roy, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Katsu Ma'roy

Katsu Ma'roy New Member

I'm trying to identify the military surplus coat that Selene wears in UA. It looks Russian or East German, but I'm not having much luck finding it in any of my usual surplus shops. Is there a style name that might help me in my search?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. terryr

terryr Sr Member

3. Katsu Ma'roy

Katsu Ma'roy New Member

It's very similar to an RAF overcoat, but no red piping. I was figuring her size is why it is so long on her.

4. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I can't believe that it's an off the rack, it's got to be custom made for her. With red piping I'd think it'd be Eastern Bloc kind of style.

This is also better off in the costume forum.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's the thing in movie wardrobe. If something happens to be an off the shelf item it is most certainly custom tailored to the actor. A lot of costume designers just take inspiration of off the shelf and make their own. But I agree does look like a RAF

6. AD craftworks

AD craftworks Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Try russian greatcoats or overcoats.

7. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

Wild guess here..Maybe.. East German. Or German WW2 Panzer Overcoat. They have pink piping on them.

8. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

They'll also take off the rack items and add things to them.

Though, this was probably made FOR Kate. The rest of her outfit is custom made, leading me to believe that the jacket is also custom made.

9. SolidusSnake89

SolidusSnake89 New Member

I am completely obsessed with that coat. Does anyone know where you can order a custom designed coat? Given that there are no reproductions and the pattern probably isn't readily available.

10. Underworld54

Underworld54 Well-Known Member

But when she grabbed the jacket from the rack to put on there were a bunch of them. I'm pretty sure it's a mass produced jacket.

11. Jaedena

Jaedena Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

12. THEMAN

THEMAN Well-Known Member

I am sure the costume department made a bunch and put them on the rack... they build entire sets, so I'm sure adding a few extra jackets to a rack is simple.
    It's either a designers recent creation or a wardrobe custom, but I doubt it's a findable vintage item.

13. Underworld54

Just asked one of the directors about the coat and he said it was indeed specially made for Kate. Sorry guys.

14. ObiWannabe

ObiWannabe Well-Known Member

And here I was going to suggest "maybe Czech?" Because I just got to touch vintage Czech military wool coats and mmm...

But hey if you're looking for a custom-builder, I'm not too backlogged on work right now and I loooooove to work in wool. And coats.

15. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

16. cadena2556

cadena2556 New Member

You have to remember that the movie is based in an Hungary, Budapest area. That's because the old coven, which was the vampires coven; used to be part of the Hungarian Army and she never left the country. But after some checking up, it was an old RAF jacket that had been in the studio and fitted and customized for Kate's role and the movie. sorry guys

17. oracle1982

oracle1982 Active Member

Now we know it was custom made for Kate I'm sure one of us on here can make it from scratch! Any takers? ;-)

18. orionmessier42

orionmessier42 New Member

Thanks for this thread! I finally bought the DVD yesterday when it came out. I am equally obsessed with the coat! It's so bad-a$$!

Anyone making this thing / or looking into it? I am thinking about it for DragonCon this year but my sewing skills are limited... :)

19. mattyp916

mattyp916 New Member

Hi guys.

I am pretty sure it is not an RAF greatcoat, I think it is too grey. I have two because I am in the RAF and mine are more blue/grey in colour or at least they seem so to me.

Having said that I know that they pop up on eBay quite a lot and they are never horrendous money so you could certainly tailor one to get a close approximation I reckon :D

Good luck!

20. WingZero

WingZero New Member

I live in Virginia and I managed to find the exact coat at a vintage clothing store which we have. The one I got cost me about 95 bucks and its in pretty good condition.

21. Hfuy

Hfuy Active Member

Fastens left over right, so it's ostensibly a man's coat.

But it fits Beckinsale?

My assumption would have been that they built it!

22. Banzai88

Banzai88 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any pix?

23. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Yeah, pics or it didn't happen ;).

24. Underworld54

Highly doubtful it's the same coat since I tweeted one of the directors and they said the coat was specifically made for Kate. So unless it came from the Screen Gems wardrobe dept I would say with 100% certainty that you don't have the same coat.