Uncharted - Nathan Drake's wrist cuffs

Leatherworker

Hi there,

there are already several threads dealing with Nathan Drake costume parts as used in the Uncharted game series - including holsters, shirts, belts, buckles etc.

Would like to open a new one in particular dealing with the wrist cuffs - hope it's not to much double posting. Since nothing official is available I started to build them from scratch.

Here is the prototype for the version from Uncharted 1. Unlike part 2 and 3 there is no watch included.

Would be great - e.g. if someone has better reference material or has build an own version - to get comments or ideas to further improve the concept.

The intention is to be 100% screen-accurate and functional...

9331-uncharted-1-wrist-cuff-comparision-game-design.jpg

Best

Nice work! Same with your other Uncharted leather props. Any plans to make the Lawrence of Arabia bandoliers?

I just finished Uncharted 3 and am going back to play 1 and 2 for the first time. The plan right now is to build a Nathan Drake Uncharted 3 desert costume since it's easy and functional outside the prop world. I've been researching watches all night trying to find an acceptable watch for the cuff, and aside from a Rolex, I've narrowed down the best options in both cost and value. But I won't hijack this thread with that info, so just wanted to say good work! I'm very interested in what else you can produce.

Hi there!

Since the cuffs from part 2 and 3 are on the list, I'm also looking for an appropriate watch. So I think any info about similar looking time pieces would be great to have! Also if some close-up reference pictures from the game are available - I am not sure wether there is a bezel etc.

For me the watch have to be water resistant and robust as in-game. My current idea is a Seiko 5 model (SNZG15K1 in google picture search).

I have the bandolier from part 3 more or less finished - these damned buttons are the only problem I have to solve - the metal casting is difficult. There is a picture in another thread (uncharted 3 shoulder holster #17) if you are interested. I will update there if it is ready. Also the part 3 holster...

Best

So...

prototype wrist cuff with watch of uncharted 2/3 is ready.

The leather work is not a huge challenge, more difficult is to find an appropriate watch.

This one is a quarz one (more accurate than a automatic rolex:lol), all stainless steel and water resistant up to 300 meters - so robust enough to cope with any of Nathan's adventures. Magnification lens at 3 o'clock position as in-game.

I will probably try some weathering to make it look more "used".

On many pictures and screen shots there is a second wrist cuff in uncharted 2 which is much broader and with a different look. Its a while when I played uncharted 2 but I am not aware when Nathan changed his outfit. Does anyone has any information about this topic?

If someone has better reference material or information to improve the design and screen accuracy please let me know!

9783-uncharted-3-leather-wrist-cuff-watch.jpg

I'm going to guess you're talking about shots like this one.

and no, I have no idea why it looks so huge here. :confused

I'm going to guess you're talking about shots like this one.

and no, I have no idea why it looks so huge here. :confused

Exactly what I am talking about. Here is one of the best frames I found. Also a pretty cool design - will make a version in any case.

The question remains why these two different cuffs in close game situations :confused?

In U1 cuff instead of two pieces of leather crossed, there was a metal jolly roger(similar to the belt buckle in U1)
Other than that, great work! (Actually I like the way yours looks better)

_Atlas.

In U1 cuff instead of two pieces of leather crossed, there was a metal jolly roger(similar to the belt buckle in U1)
Other than that, great work! (Actually I like the way yours looks better)

_Atlas.

Hi,

the thing with a "metal jolly roger" sounds interesting! I analysed many many pictures but always recognized a cross of leather straps - maybe I was wrong.

Do you have a picture available, or a link were a respective picture is available? Could help a lot to improve screen-accuracy, which is my main priority...

Best

Hi,

the thing with a "metal jolly roger" sounds interesting! I analysed many many pictures but always recognized a cross of leather straps - maybe I was wrong.

Do you have a picture available, or a link were a respective picture is available? Could help a lot to improve screen-accuracy, which is my main priority...

Best

It seems like you were completely right in the first place.
Might be just that most pictures I have seen from U1 are old ads from gaming magazines, maybe it was an old design?

Anyways, sorry for the inconvenience, my bad. But keep up the beautiful work!

_Atlas

No problem...

it could be the same problem as with the wrist cuff watch from UC2. I have no idea why there are two versions on divers pictures available - also in a book with the artwork, I found this broader one (see above).

I replayed the whole game and only found one version - the narrow one. Seems that parts of the outfit were changed or modified during a very late step of game development...

Best

Hmmmm...

Since some members have mentioned INVICTA watches to be close to Nathan Drakes watch, I had to get one and build a new version of my wrist cuff. After replaying Among Thieves, I used a darker brown for the leather and some minor modifications with e.g. the aging.

However, I am more and more convinced that in-game sometimes there seems to be something red on the clock face. This would point to an additional GMT hand. Seems that I will go for another watch soon - I know I am crazy be:facepalm

So it could be that one or two of my first versions will end on ebay...

There were some questions what kind of buckle I used for the watches. So I attached a picture of the back side - sorry for the ugly photo...

The used pattern - I tried to be as close as possible to the in-game design - allows to widen the wristlet to a certain degree. However, for making is tighter, there is a minimum size, where the ends of the leather touch each other (as seen in the photograph). Making it more tight would then result in an overlap, which would be pretty uncomfortable.

So for this piece I would recommend a custom fitting...

Some screen caps of Uncharted 2 opening scene:

Width/position of band varies between shots, which shouldn't be possible since they're pinned down with the buttons. But it's a game, afterall.
attachment.php

Face of the watch is far too dark for the Submariner, but I blame this (and many other renderings) on in-game limitations on details.
attachment.php

Buttons appear black, and flat. But from other shots, they may very well be silver but just appear black. They are undoubtedly flat, however.
attachment.php

Here's the money shot. The buckle holds the strap in, without one of those leather loops you find on belts. Note the number of holes and which hole is being used. Also note the wide band overlaps which, as Leatherworker noted, may very well be uncomfortable.
attachment.php

There is an article/interview out there with Amy Hennig (of Naughty Dog) who said that this is the reference photo used for one of the watches:
drakewatch.jpg

(Check the hand placement- it's the same.)

The choice to alter the silver tones was probably done so it wasn't as conspicuous on his wrist.

The same watch rendering was used in the closing scene of U3 too.

EDIT: Here is the link:
Virtual Fashion: What They’re Wearing In Uncharted 2 | Kotaku Australia

Cool, thanks. Yep, that Xanadu is a Submariner homage, meaning they meant for Nathan to have the Submariner (as he proudly displayed it on his belt when he was a kid--probably pick-pocketed it from some rich tourist). I can't justify a $5-6K watch, so the Invicta will do! The other close homage is an Orient, which may be preferable as it has a sapphire crystal, but the Invicta is growing on me.

So many thanks to synasp!!!!!! Great job preparing this gorgeous screen shots:thumbsup

I now have to change several aspects of my original design. Exchange the buckle (hard to find one), omit the leader loop, every decoration line and staining of the leather edges (hmmm...sounds like less work than before :confused), use flat headed rivets (hard to find quality ones).

With this "overlap" I get in severe trouble - having this great information, I always tend to be screen accurate. If one would use thin leather, it may be ok. But having approximately 2 cm of leather+buckle+strap under the wrist may be a problem for every day wear - e.g. writing something on a computer, placing your arm somewhere. It will also produce a lot of pressure to the wrist at the edge = not comfortable. I will perform some tests with certain arrangements to see wether it can be realized without changing the look - it is e.g. possible to make only the critical areas thinner...

Have some time - waiting for silicon molds to dry...

So I think its time to do some first steps to build the ULTIMATE Nathan Drake watch - with the great pictures from synasp it should be possible...

The leather for the main poart is 5 mm thick. We have to tumble it for quite a while to get it super soft. We can not use a simple rectangle pattern as used in cheap versions. It has to be a bend "recangle" which produce a cone shape when wrapped around the wrist. This gives a much better "anantomical" fit. One side is gradually thinned to 2 mm, all edges bevelled. We have to do this because of the planed overlap! The straps are 2-3 mm thick.

The problem with flat headed rivets is solved. I have not found anything on the market so I flattened them myself - pretty easy, after I found the trick. They are from brass with silver finish and thus rustproof. I would keep them silver and not black! With the watch housing in silver, black or titan colored rivets look pretty ugly. As seen in the image, the silver appears nearly black, depending on the direction of light. Think it is the same in-game.

The most difficult part will be the buckle. I found a stainless steel one which would be perfect (20MM REPLACEMENT SWATCH BLACK LEATHER&WHITE STITCHES STRAP SS BUCKLE | eBay). But where to get one of these without the strap??? :confused

I wasn't even aware of the prep work that needs to go into making something like this. Very interesting and helpful!

And you're right--that buckle looks perfect! If you can't find just the buckle, I would totally just buy that strap. It's being donated to a good cause.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back