Uncharted - Nathan Drake's wrist cuffs

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Leatherworker, Nov 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Leatherworker

Leatherworker Active Member

Hi there,

there are already several threads dealing with Nathan Drake costume parts as used in the Uncharted game series - including holsters, shirts, belts, buckles etc.

Would like to open a new one in particular dealing with the wrist cuffs - hope it's not to much double posting. Since nothing official is available I started to build them from scratch.

Here is the prototype for the version from Uncharted 1. Unlike part 2 and 3 there is no watch included.

Would be great - e.g. if someone has better reference material or has build an own version - to get comments or ideas to further improve the concept.

The intention is to be 100% screen-accurate and functional...

[​IMG]

Best

kkpwnall likes this.
  2. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Nice work! Same with your other Uncharted leather props. Any plans to make the Lawrence of Arabia bandoliers?

I just finished Uncharted 3 and am going back to play 1 and 2 for the first time. The plan right now is to build a Nathan Drake Uncharted 3 desert costume since it's easy and functional outside the prop world. I've been researching watches all night trying to find an acceptable watch for the cuff, and aside from a Rolex, I've narrowed down the best options in both cost and value. But I won't hijack this thread with that info, so just wanted to say good work! I'm very interested in what else you can produce.

3. Leatherworker

Hi there!

Since the cuffs from part 2 and 3 are on the list, I'm also looking for an appropriate watch. So I think any info about similar looking time pieces would be great to have! Also if some close-up reference pictures from the game are available - I am not sure wether there is a bezel etc.

For me the watch have to be water resistant and robust as in-game. My current idea is a Seiko 5 model (SNZG15K1 in google picture search).

I have the bandolier from part 3 more or less finished - these damned buttons are the only problem I have to solve - the metal casting is difficult. There is a picture in another thread (uncharted 3 shoulder holster #17) if you are interested. I will update there if it is ready. Also the part 3 holster...

Best

4. Leatherworker

So...

prototype wrist cuff with watch of uncharted 2/3 is ready.

The leather work is not a huge challenge, more difficult is to find an appropriate watch.

This one is a quarz one (more accurate than a automatic rolex:lol), all stainless steel and water resistant up to 300 meters - so robust enough to cope with any of Nathan's adventures. Magnification lens at 3 o'clock position as in-game.

I will probably try some weathering to make it look more "used".

On many pictures and screen shots there is a second wrist cuff in uncharted 2 which is much broader and with a different look. Its a while when I played uncharted 2 but I am not aware when Nathan changed his outfit. Does anyone has any information about this topic?

If someone has better reference material or information to improve the design and screen accuracy please let me know!

[​IMG]

5. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

I'm going to guess you're talking about shots like this one.

and no, I have no idea why it looks so huge here. :confused

6. Leatherworker

Exactly what I am talking about. Here is one of the best frames I found. Also a pretty cool design - will make a version in any case.

The question remains why these two different cuffs in close game situations :confused?

7. devwiththewelch

devwiththewelch New Member

i have the same invicta watch

8. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

In U1 cuff instead of two pieces of leather crossed, there was a metal jolly roger(similar to the belt buckle in U1)
    Other than that, great work! (Actually I like the way yours looks better)

_Atlas.

9. Leatherworker

Hi,

the thing with a "metal jolly roger" sounds interesting! I analysed many many pictures but always recognized a cross of leather straps - maybe I was wrong.

Do you have a picture available, or a link were a respective picture is available? Could help a lot to improve screen-accuracy, which is my main priority...

Best

10. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

It seems like you were completely right in the first place.
    Might be just that most pictures I have seen from U1 are old ads from gaming magazines, maybe it was an old design?

Anyways, sorry for the inconvenience, my bad. But keep up the beautiful work!

_Atlas

11. Leatherworker

No problem...

it could be the same problem as with the wrist cuff watch from UC2. I have no idea why there are two versions on divers pictures available - also in a book with the artwork, I found this broader one (see above).

I replayed the whole game and only found one version - the narrow one. Seems that parts of the outfit were changed or modified during a very late step of game development...

Best

12. Leatherworker

Hmmmm...

Since some members have mentioned INVICTA watches to be close to Nathan Drakes watch, I had to get one and build a new version of my wrist cuff. After replaying Among Thieves, I used a darker brown for the leather and some minor modifications with e.g. the aging.

However, I am more and more convinced that in-game sometimes there seems to be something red on the clock face. This would point to an additional GMT hand. Seems that I will go for another watch soon - I know I am crazy be:facepalm

So it could be that one or two of my first versions will end on ebay...

13. Leatherworker

There were some questions what kind of buckle I used for the watches. So I attached a picture of the back side - sorry for the ugly photo...

The used pattern - I tried to be as close as possible to the in-game design - allows to widen the wristlet to a certain degree. However, for making is tighter, there is a minimum size, where the ends of the leather touch each other (as seen in the photograph). Making it more tight would then result in an overlap, which would be pretty uncomfortable.

So for this piece I would recommend a custom fitting...

14. Darthdavi79

Darthdavi79 Member

I have the watch, but I am interesting this wrist cuffs from Drake's Fortune. :)

15. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Some screen caps of Uncharted 2 opening scene:

Width/position of band varies between shots, which shouldn't be possible since they're pinned down with the buttons. But it's a game, afterall.
    [​IMG]

Face of the watch is far too dark for the Submariner, but I blame this (and many other renderings) on in-game limitations on details.
    [​IMG]

Buttons appear black, and flat. But from other shots, they may very well be silver but just appear black. They are undoubtedly flat, however.
    [​IMG]

Here's the money shot. The buckle holds the strap in, without one of those leather loops you find on belts. Note the number of holes and which hole is being used. Also note the wide band overlaps which, as Leatherworker noted, may very well be uncomfortable.
    [​IMG]

16. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There is an article/interview out there with Amy Hennig (of Naughty Dog) who said that this is the reference photo used for one of the watches:
    [​IMG]
    (Check the hand placement- it's the same.)

The choice to alter the silver tones was probably done so it wasn't as conspicuous on his wrist.

The same watch rendering was used in the closing scene of U3 too.

EDIT: Here is the link:
    Virtual Fashion: What They’re Wearing In Uncharted 2 | Kotaku Australia

17. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Cool, thanks. Yep, that Xanadu is a Submariner homage, meaning they meant for Nathan to have the Submariner (as he proudly displayed it on his belt when he was a kid--probably pick-pocketed it from some rich tourist). I can't justify a $5-6K watch, so the Invicta will do! The other close homage is an Orient, which may be preferable as it has a sapphire crystal, but the Invicta is growing on me.

18. Leatherworker

So many thanks to synasp!!!!!! Great job preparing this gorgeous screen shots:thumbsup

I now have to change several aspects of my original design. Exchange the buckle (hard to find one), omit the leader loop, every decoration line and staining of the leather edges (hmmm...sounds like less work than before :confused), use flat headed rivets (hard to find quality ones).

With this "overlap" I get in severe trouble - having this great information, I always tend to be screen accurate. If one would use thin leather, it may be ok. But having approximately 2 cm of leather+buckle+strap under the wrist may be a problem for every day wear - e.g. writing something on a computer, placing your arm somewhere. It will also produce a lot of pressure to the wrist at the edge = not comfortable. I will perform some tests with certain arrangements to see wether it can be realized without changing the look - it is e.g. possible to make only the critical areas thinner...

19. Leatherworker

Have some time - waiting for silicon molds to dry...

So I think its time to do some first steps to build the ULTIMATE Nathan Drake watch - with the great pictures from synasp it should be possible...

The leather for the main poart is 5 mm thick. We have to tumble it for quite a while to get it super soft. We can not use a simple rectangle pattern as used in cheap versions. It has to be a bend "recangle" which produce a cone shape when wrapped around the wrist. This gives a much better "anantomical" fit. One side is gradually thinned to 2 mm, all edges bevelled. We have to do this because of the planed overlap! The straps are 2-3 mm thick.

The problem with flat headed rivets is solved. I have not found anything on the market so I flattened them myself - pretty easy, after I found the trick. They are from brass with silver finish and thus rustproof. I would keep them silver and not black! With the watch housing in silver, black or titan colored rivets look pretty ugly. As seen in the image, the silver appears nearly black, depending on the direction of light. Think it is the same in-game.

The most difficult part will be the buckle. I found a stainless steel one which would be perfect (20MM REPLACEMENT SWATCH BLACK LEATHER&WHITE STITCHES STRAP SS BUCKLE | eBay). But where to get one of these without the strap??? :confused

20. synasp

synasp Sr Member

I wasn't even aware of the prep work that needs to go into making something like this. Very interesting and helpful!

And you're right--that buckle looks perfect! If you can't find just the buckle, I would totally just buy that strap. It's being donated to a good cause.

21. Leatherworker

Played with the coloring of the prototype. The steps are: 3x oil dye, 1x antik finish, 2x satin shene finish, polishing. The piece looks pretty stressed in-game - torn edges, marks, speckles etc. I tried to find a balance between "screen accurate" and normal "every day usage".

According to my usual procedure, I did not - yet - stain the inner leather face in contact with skin. This may not please everybody but in my eyes has some advantages. In game, the borders seem to be pretty bright. I therefore leave 1/3 of the border unstained as well.

The idea with a NDI label inside came up - in analogy to Nathans holsters. It is an option, which however requires several extra steps (the leather has to be soaked with water and the stamp (this is tricky to produce) has to be applied with a mechanic press. Hmmm...Would this offend the rights of Naughty dog or sony :confused

I decide to order the buckle I found on ebay. 12 euro :facepalm but I havn't find anything else which comes that close...

Does anyone has suggestions or comments so far?

:$ Just realized that the picture is unsharp - sorry for that!

22. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Very nice! I think not staining the leather where it contacts skin is the right way to go.

The NDI label is a fantastic touch--looks great. "NDI" is trademarked/restricted by Naughty Dog, so you should be good. I always thought it stood for Nathan Drake Inc--treasure hunter for hire. Haha.

I think everything is looking great and will be interested when the buckle gets incorporated. If the strap is 3mm, and the distance from post to housing is ~2.5mm, that's a tight fit but it should squeeze in and hold the watch snugly, right? I think that's actually good--I don't think Drake would've enjoyed the watch moving around.

Nice work!

23. Leatherworker

Hmmmm......

seems like the project will last a little longer!

Just received a note from the guy in Thailand with the buckles from ebay:

"PLEASE NOTE “ I post with Airmail Register will take 10-20 working days to arrive “"

Well, at least shipping is for free. In the meantime, I will check with some watch stores nearby, wether I can find something (more close and less expensive....)

24. synasp

synasp Sr Member

I've been compulsively checking this thread... I hope 10-20 days means 5. :lol

25. Leatherworker

I fear 5 days have already passed...

I found another buckle - a gift from a lady in a watch shop. It was some old spare part from the past. It is strange how difficult is is to find such a piece...

It looks even better than the one I ordered, it is however labelled with a brand name. I will remove this and then use the buckle as a template to cast some own ones.

Unfortunately my melting pot has burned through :angry and I am on hold with making any metal parts.

So two alternatives are persued...

26. Pitfall Harry

Pitfall Harry Active Member

27. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Harry, nice cuff. I saw Matara as one of the few people who market their watches as Uncharted watches. There's one other person on Etsy, and I think that's it.

Leatherworker, keep us updated on the melting pot! I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with.

28. Leatherworker

I like the quality of freddy mataras work - have a "rock star" wrist cuff from his hands, brought several years ago. The materials (leather) are also top and worth the price. I did not find much spec about the "swiss hinter watch" but the look is very nice...

29. morfeus345

morfeus345 New Member

good work my friend!

30. Leatherworker

Minor update with the uncharted watch...

I have prepared a rough prototype of the buckle. I will do the molding soon, but without a melting pot, I am on hold making any metal parts:cry

At least it seems that in the end I have found my perfect uncharted watch! :love Its a "Steinhart Ocean 1". Stainless steel, saphire glass and lens, 30 ATM tested, Superluminova C1 and well-proven ETA 2824-2 movement. For this price a great value...

As soon as there is something new, I will be back...

31. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Very nice! Stein hart is a great watch. The Invictas have a new NH35A movement that's getting good reviews. I might pick one up to compare to the NH25A.

Watch is looking great--can't wait until you get the melting pot.

32. Leatherworker

Will take the compulsory break to test the suitability for daily use...

The specs of the prototype are given - criticism welcome:

- Pattern as in-game (overlap, double bar buckle, number and distance of holes, flat rivets etc.)

- Partly unstained edges and moderate aging to match in-game look

- NDI logo print inside

It is more comfortable than I thought. The biggest disadvantages so far:

- A lot of material under the wrist due to the overlap - but it does not really bother me. Have several cuffs which are worse...

- The large distance between the holes - makes it difficult to be adjusted precisely

33. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Looks great! For the 2 disadvantages:

1) Material overlap. There's the end that goes over, and the end that goes under (that touches your skin). What about tapering the end that goes under from 3mm thickness gradually to 1mm? I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it would shorten the "bump" in material for the end that touches your skin. I'm not sure how this would affect durability.

2) In your picture, I see 2 holes. Between these 2 holes in the picture, there should be a third in-between (that would in theory be covered by one of the buckle bars). If you already have it like that, then I guess there isn't much to do, but since this is a custom cuff, you don't need to adjust precisely, right?

Great work, as always!

34. Leatherworker

:cry:cry:cry

Finally the buckles from ebay arrived. 20 mm it was said - but the width is merely 18 mm!!!! That does not fit! Great investment:facepalm

So I only have one buckle which comes close and will deal as a template for a custom buckle. My new melting pot is here and works fine. However, custom making of the buckle will significantly increase the time/efforts going into it. If anyone finds a buckle like this, please tell us!

[​IMG]

I tested the prototype extensively and relentlessly and am happy with it. Look and feel are great. I think the pattern is a reasonable compromise between screen accurate and wearability. I now matt/mat/matted :confused (hmmm...what is correct english?) the flat rivets a bit to come close to the satin like finish of the watch housing. But it is clear why these buckles are normally not used: With a two bar buckle there is a lot of bending/tension of the strap, which makes it difficult to close and open the watch. Since I wear my watches the hole day, I did not perceive this as a problem. Could be different for someone else...

35. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Any update? I've been eagerly waiting!

36. Leatherworker

In order to keep the profile as flat as possible, I now thinned the leather at several additional positions.
    I decided to use a special heavy duty waxed polyester thread for the attachment of the buckle (instead of a rivet - a rivet would add another 0,5-1 mm). This thread is completely resistant to sweat, salt water etc.
    The molds rested now 7 days - the minimum time for high temperature application. Tomorrow I will do the first casts. Keep your fingers crossed that the result will be ok...

37. Leatherworker

The first castings are done...

Here is a picture of the raw unmachined parts in comparison to the original (right).

I had to modify the molds a little bit - these small/filigree items are always tricky to do.

It will be a lot of work to finish them to match the shiny watch housing. But we are approaching the final product...

38. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Thanks for the update! How strong are these metal castings?

39. Leatherworker

It's zamak alloy (zinc and alu mainly). It is extremely hard and will never ever bend. If the force gets to high it will break - e.g. if you place it on an anvil and use a hammer with excessive force. Zamak is very often used for e.g. doorhandles, all kind of buckles, buttons etc. Along with "rustproof" this makes the stuff my favorite material for all metal applications - although it is pretty difficult to handle (high temperatures, flux aggressive to normal steel etc.)...

40. Leatherworker

From my side it's done!

To match the shiny Invicta housing I polished the buckle a lot and kept the rivets shiny too...

Everything was finished to fit together and give the proper "uncharted" look...

41. TrentPraeger

TrentPraeger Member

Looks PERFECT!!!! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

42. Dr Banzai

Dr Banzai New Member

Looks amazing, Leatherworker! Keep up the great work, your attention to detail is inspiring! Looking forward to purchasing one of these once you put them up for sale.

Dr Banzai

43. ZenithF0RTE

ZenithF0RTE New Member

Questions: 1: some of the watch faces read: "Steinhart" but the latest image reads "Regent" or something...did you change the watch?

2: Are you taking comissions???

Thanks in advance to your reply and 10/10 for the work you put into this project! It REALLY shows!

44. Leatherworker

Hi there and thanks for the kindness!

I changed the watch because I wanted something "valuable" and "robust" around my wrist - I wear this watch al the time. The Steinhart has sapphire glass and an automatic movement - which I prefer. The Regent is also a good watch but the "feeling" is not as valuable. I also think the Steinhart looks a little more like in-game - but that may be a personal impression.

I already build one for someone in the forum. Not sure wether there is some kind of "review" of this item available - maybe it will follow. In principle I would be willing making another custom one - although time is extremely limited these days.

Best

45. ZenithF0RTE

ZenithF0RTE New Member

That's awesome. Sorry for these questions but I was just so captivated by the whole process and end result.

How accurate would you say your watch is? You mentioned you sacrificed a little accuracy for practicality. What did you sacrifice?

How much did you sell the watch for ? (just out of curiosity really :$)

Once again I must compliment your work! You truly are a master of the art of leather work!

46. Leatherworker

I would say my Steinhart is at max. 4 seconds +/- wrong per day - a reasonable value for an automatic watch. Steinhart has also a great service if you want to calibrate the movement etc. I really can recommend these watches.

synasp here in the forum uses an Invicta automatic watch and is very happy with it. I tried a quartz Invicta and found it a little bit to small - but there are different models available (in principle all rolex submariner clones). My main reason not to use the invictas is the very prominent and visible "invicta" labeling on the side of the housing.

You find a rolex submariner for approx. 5000 Euro, a Steinhart for 340 Euro and the Regent for 69 Euro in the net (the quartz Regent is by the way the most accurate one:lol). The custom leather wristband including hand-made zamak buckle and logo print inside - if I had to sell it - would go for 80-100 Euro.

47. ZenithF0RTE

ZenithF0RTE New Member

thank you for the replies!

Lastly, are there any instructions (video or otherwise) as to how this outstanding piece of work was made?

I'd love to get my hands on one but as stated in this (and other forums), screen accurate versions are hard to come by.

48. SpacemanGray

SpacemanGray New Member

Hello. First, I just want to say that I am a huge fan of your work. The cuff watches you've made are spot on than any other that I've seen, and the Uncharted Drake holsters you've made are beautiful. Looking around on the internet and only finding watches that are ridiculous prices, and aren't entirely screen accurate, I found this thread, and joined this forum to share my gratitude with you.

You've inspired me to create my very own custom Nathan Drake watch. Following the photos you've shared, I have made quite a few watches, but none being quite perfect in my eyes. I even mentioned you on a forum specifically for Uncharted.

Nathan Drake's Watch - Uncharted Forums

The forum is quite dead, unfortunately, and the pics I posted are really blurry, my phone's camera is to blame. The type of leather I used for that one was some cheap generic leather I bought from a crafting store, that I "roughed up" to make it more like Nate's.

I would like to ask you for some help regarding working with the leather. :)

My first question, is there a specific type of leather that you are using for the cuff? I've bought leather online, and I worry that I might possibly be using the wrong type.

Secondly, I could never get the shine quite right, and this has really been my pet-peeve. The oil dye that I've used shines it up a bit, but I've yearned for the gloss just like in the game.

And last but not least, I've had difficulty finding appropriate snaps and also the crazy-to-find buckle for the watch, perhaps you could point me in the right direction as to where to find these.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :D

49. Leatherworker

Hi there!

Very nice work - but I would switch the camera:lol

Concerning the leather. Use only full grain leather, vegetable tanned, 4mm thick (I prefere thicker leather with cuffs). It will be expensive - be prepared. The surface of the leather has to be "glossy" on the surface. To chose the right piece of leather is one of the most important steps!

Good oil dye is only to stain the leather. To end up with a nice finish the steps are (for most of my purposes): 2-3x oil dye, antique finish in the appropriate color (it will not last without further steps!), 2-3x sealing (e.g. leather sheen, satin sheen - this is responsible for the final appearance, e.g. glossy), final polishing (this can make a satin finish more glossy). But don't forget: If the leather is crap - it will be next to impossible to end up with a nice surface.

You can also get a "glossy" surface with e.g. leather wax (I use this e.g. for the UC2 holster to get the in-game look).

I never found a 100% appropriate buckle for Nathan's watch, so I build them from scratch, as most of my metal work casted from zamak alloy. This is a hell of work and you have to be careful (!!) - the alternative is to go for something close...

Hope that helps!

Best

50. Increditastic

Increditastic New Member

I have been scouring this forum for the reference materials for this watch. I have been making a few prototypes. This one I sold off on Etsy for $9. It went in a day. I guess there is a demand. Anyway, wanted to say thanks to all the input. I will post some pics when I get mine finished.