Unappreciated

rodneyfaile

Sr Member
Some of the most beloved movies did not do well at the box office and were poorly reviewed by critics. It wasn't until years later that movies like Blade Runner, The Thing, The Big Lebowski, Mallrats, and many others found a cult following and begin to receive the appreciation they deserve.

What other movies have been released more recently, that received poor reviews and low box office, that might also one day be more highly regarded? Any hidden gems?

I think The Watchmen will eventually be more appreciated than it is. Outstanding casting. I think it is a work of art. Yes it has a different ending. I think of the graphic novel as a storyboard. Don't fault the final product just because it was revised from the storyboard version.

GOOD topic! But man, that's so hard to say. What movies that are considered "eh" now will be beloved in ten or twenty years? Wish I knew: I'd try to get merchandising rights :lol

I know the movie "Taken" was met with mixed reviews and only mild box office success when it came out, before quickly falling into obscurity. And yet whenever I go over a friends house, all of them just happen to own it.

I think The Watchmen will eventually be more appreciated than it is. Outstanding casting. I think it is a work of art. Yes it has a different ending. I think of the graphic novel as a storyboard. Don't fault the final product just because it was revised from the storyboard version.
I have mixed feelings on Watchmen.

At one point, I'm glad they did it. I think it was a valiant effort and a good deal of the story remains intact and they were able to keep many of the key parts of the story that made the story great.

But, I think so much of what made Watchmen a great book get's lost in Snyder's style. Too much of the movie is wrapped up in Snyder doing what Snyder does and so much attention to the 'look' that the story and parts of it are lost... I never got a sense of tension or that something was building throughout the film... just seemed to condensed, maybe they tried too much? ...and yeah, no Bubastis and the new ending took a bit out of the film as well (the latter much more than the former).

Ultimately, it's a flawed movie that I will watch and enjoy from time to time. ...and yeah, it was left a tad underappreciated by the general audience.

And I'll always wonder how it would've played out as premium cable TV Mini-series. This could've been an amazing 12 part/hour mini-series...

Ebert gave it 4 stars, and it gets a 7.7 on the iMDB - so it definitely was appreciated by some... just never really found an audience.

Donnie Darko. Yeah, it gets 8.8 on the iMDB, so it get some attention - it's just a film we don't hear enough about. Some folks get it, some don't.

The Star Wars Prequels. So many folks just don't get them - and a lot of them are the fanboys who can't accept they grew up.

Donnie Darko. Yeah, it gets 8.8 on the iMDB, so it get some attention - it's just a film we don't hear enough about. Some folks get it, some don't.

Fantastic film.

Get it. Don't get. Or 'get" in your own unique way.

Music helped make the film what it is...

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Clearly it is my opinion... and I feel very strongly that they're unappreciated and underappreciated (especially by fanboys).

I marvel at the folks who just don't appreciate the Star Wars prequels for what they are. I also realize this is a potential thread derailment and another potential pointless debate at the prequels... so let's just end it here: I feel they're unappreciated and I that's on topic.

My nephew (7) and niece (almost 6) love these films in a way that I loved the OT when I was similar in age.

Clearly it is my opinion... and I feel very strongly that they're unappreciated and underappreciated (especially by fanboys).

I marvel at the folks who just don't appreciate the Star Wars prequels for what they are. I also realize this is a potential thread derailment and another potential pointless debate at the prequels... so let's just end it here: I feel they're unappreciated and I that's on topic.

My nephew (7) and niece (almost 6) love these films in a way that I loved the OT when I was similar in age.

All good, I was quoting another under appreciated movie - big lebowski - a bit older than most films in this thread though :thumbsup

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back