ULTRA'S DRE THE SHRUNKEN HEAD FROM THE KNIGHT BUS (harry potter)

ultraman

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
hello childrens

i'd like to send thanks to everyone who supported me in my knockturn alley sign run... it was a great success!:)

so now i move on to the next project

DRE THE SHRUNKEN HEAD FROM THE KNIGHT BUS ......dunt dunt dunt dunnnnnnnnnnnnn!

it all started around easter when a buddy of mine gave me some NSP chavant clay to play with
...next thing you know i wrapped it around an easter egg and it turned into this:

ern1.JPG ern2.JPG

since then i have added clay to bring the forehead up a bit and i'm currently working on his ears.
i'll have new pics up as things progress!
i have about 3 ideas in my head of how to go about molding this and putting it together...might end up trying all three and see what looks best.

on top of that a buddy of mine in florida wrote a book on shrunken heads and in it ...it tells the whole process of how the real shrunken heads were made.
i will be incorporating some of that knowledge into this project to make it not only screen accurate but also accurate by the standards of real shrunken heads!!!!
so hopefully the end product will be a museum quality shrunken head of dre head from the knight bus!

-ultra:ninja
p.s. sorry for the poopy lighting in the pictures above they were kind of done on the fly.

well i took a break from the john wick coin last night while i wait to see what my jeweler friend does to some of the coins.
i ended up jumping back on my shrunken head from the knight bus and finished the sculpt then built the mold!

dre-mold1.JPG dre-mold2.JPG

then poured 1,000g of silicone for this side!

dre-mold3.JPG

i'll be pouring the other side tonight and casting heads tomorrow!:ninja

well i'm getting a little closer on the shrunken head!!!

i sanded the raw cast out of the mold.
then did a few washes in paint. (these are just tests washes i may change up the color scheme a bit later on)
then drilled out the eyes, mouth, and back of the head.

i know the back of the head in the movie is normal but i wanted to make it more like a real shrunken head so i made a slice up the back and stitched it shut like a real one!
then i had to cut out some hemp pieces and glue them in the eyes and mouth. then sanded out some beads and painted them green and yellow for the dreads.

now i'm working on making the dread locks out of black sheep roving.

soon i will be adding the hair and hopefully when it's nice outside take some better pictures then i have lately inside.

shrunkenheadpaint1a.JPG shrunkenheadpaint2a.JPG

wow Ultra, this looks great! just like in movies. oh how can you guys do these, i dont understand really :) :thumbsup wonderful!

thanks alot guys!
i'll be finishing up some of the dreadlocks tonight and hopefully he'll have his hair soon....then i'll get some better pictures and start an int thread in the junkyard!:cool

wow Ultra, this looks great! just like in movies. oh how can you guys do these, i dont understand really :) :thumbsup wonderful!

Looks great. Well done :)

woohoo got a finished first test done!

i'm still thinking of trying out a couple color schemes though.....i went with the green wash version this go around ..the movie one seems to be a bluish grey and i've seen other pictures of a brownish one. i might try them all and see what works best.

drefin1.JPG drefin2.JPG drefin3.JPG

probablly start an int thread in the junkyard some time tonight so watch out for it!:ninja

Last edited:
woohoo got a finished first test done!

i'm still thinking of trying out a couple color schemes though.....i went with the green wash version this go around ..the movie one seems to be a bluish grey and i've seen other pictures of a brownish one. i might try them all and see what works best.

Great work!

Interesting. I always thought that Dre was in shades of mottled brown, but the HP Wiki says the skin colour is "Dark green with black parts". I believe IMHO that the bluish grey images are a result of it being filmed at night. My preference FWIW would be for the "brownish" version.

Dre_Head.jpg

I'd like to humbly make 2 suggestions. The twine (sutures) you're using could be a little smaller diameter wise and perhaps a shade darker. And the beads in the dreads would benefit from a wash with some diluted wood stain to take off some of the brightness.

I've signed up for 1 in your interest thread, Thanks!

ATL

heyyy Ultra, that shrunken head is wonderful as i said! i wonder something; how big is it exactly? and i think ATL Kenobi is right. i would also be interesting in a brownish version. i like it sooo much :) :love

thanks for the comments guys!

yeah i was thinking of doing a brown version next to see how it looks.
i will be using smaller 2mm hemp twine when i can get my hands on some...i didn't have any for this last test so i bought a hand bag that was made of a twine like material and deconstructed it for this head you see in the pics.
so the hemp should be darker and smaller all by it's self but i may do a wash of wood stain on it and the beads!

to answer lynx...the head by it's self is about 4inches which i think is about 10.2cm and with the hair its about 14 inch or 35.6cm.

i'll add you guys to the int thread in the junkyard!:cool

Great work!

Interesting. I always thought that Dre was in shades of mottled brown, but the HP Wiki says the skin colour is "Dark green with black parts". I believe IMHO that the bluish grey images are a result of it being filmed at night. My preference FWIW would be for the "brownish" version.

View attachment 486964

I'd like to humbly make 2 suggestions. The twine (sutures) you're using could be a little smaller diameter wise and perhaps a shade darker. And the beads in the dreads would benefit from a wash with some diluted wood stain to take off some of the brightness.

I've signed up for 1 in your interest thread, Thanks!

ATL

heyyy Ultra, that shrunken head is wonderful as i said! i wonder something; how big is it exactly? and i think ATL Kenobi is right. i would also be interesting in a brownish version. i like it sooo much :) :love

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back