ULTRA'S DRE THE SHRUNKEN HEAD FROM THE KNIGHT BUS (harry potter)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ultraman, Apr 15, 2015.

1. ultraman

ultraman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

hello childrens

i'd like to send thanks to everyone who supported me in my knockturn alley sign run... it was a great success!:)

so now i move on to the next project

DRE THE SHRUNKEN HEAD FROM THE KNIGHT BUS ......dunt dunt dunt dunnnnnnnnnnnnn!

it all started around easter when a buddy of mine gave me some NSP chavant clay to play with
    ...next thing you know i wrapped it around an easter egg and it turned into this:

ern1.JPG ern2.JPG

since then i have added clay to bring the forehead up a bit and i'm currently working on his ears.
    i'll have new pics up as things progress!
    i have about 3 ideas in my head of how to go about molding this and putting it together...might end up trying all three and see what looks best.

on top of that a buddy of mine in florida wrote a book on shrunken heads and in it ...it tells the whole process of how the real shrunken heads were made.
    i will be incorporating some of that knowledge into this project to make it not only screen accurate but also accurate by the standards of real shrunken heads!!!!
    so hopefully the end product will be a museum quality shrunken head of dre head from the knight bus!

-ultra:ninja
    p.s. sorry for the poopy lighting in the pictures above they were kind of done on the fly.

Chaank, hopefulhp and grimstitch like this.
  2. lynx0099

lynx0099 Well-Known Member

heyyy looks great. cant wait to see its final form :) :thumbsup

3. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Great idea! I will try my hands on it using herculite compound, pigment, lacquer, hemp cord, horse hair, synthetic hair and glue :D

4. ultraman

well i took a break from the john wick coin last night while i wait to see what my jeweler friend does to some of the coins.
    i ended up jumping back on my shrunken head from the knight bus and finished the sculpt then built the mold!

dre-mold1.JPG dre-mold2.JPG

then poured 1,000g of silicone for this side!

dre-mold3.JPG

i'll be pouring the other side tonight and casting heads tomorrow!:ninja

5. lynx0099

heyyy Ultra, that looks great. i wonder the final work so much. i am sure its gonna be awesome :)

6. Monkey540

Monkey540 Sr Member

This is shaping up nicely, can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

7. ultraman

thanks buddies!

doing some midnight casting... got some heads all rough out of the mold and ready to sand and test paint tomorrow!:cool

drecast1b.JPG drecast2.JPG

Chaank and ATL Kenobi like this.
  8. ATL Kenobi

ATL Kenobi Well-Known Member

That's just too cool :thumbsup. I'm counting down to when you'll finish - five, four, tree, tree-and-a-half, two, one-and-tree-quarters... :lol

ATL

9. lynx0099

:lol:lol ahahha that was funny

10. ultraman

well i'm getting a little closer on the shrunken head!!!

i sanded the raw cast out of the mold.
    then did a few washes in paint. (these are just tests washes i may change up the color scheme a bit later on)
    then drilled out the eyes, mouth, and back of the head.

i know the back of the head in the movie is normal but i wanted to make it more like a real shrunken head so i made a slice up the back and stitched it shut like a real one!
    then i had to cut out some hemp pieces and glue them in the eyes and mouth. then sanded out some beads and painted them green and yellow for the dreads.

now i'm working on making the dread locks out of black sheep roving.

soon i will be adding the hair and hopefully when it's nice outside take some better pictures then i have lately inside.

shrunkenheadpaint1a.JPG shrunkenheadpaint2a.JPG

Nexus6 and ATL Kenobi like this.
  11. lynx0099

wow Ultra, this looks great! just like in movies. oh how can you guys do these, i dont understand really :) :thumbsup wonderful!

12. Tammy

Tammy Member

Looks great. Well done :)

13. ultraman

thanks alot guys!
    i'll be finishing up some of the dreadlocks tonight and hopefully he'll have his hair soon....then i'll get some better pictures and start an int thread in the junkyard!:cool

14. ATL Kenobi

Go ahead and put me down for 1. :)

15. Monkey540

Monkey540 Sr Member

I think I want 1 too, all depends on price really.

16. ultraman

woohoo got a finished first test done!

i'm still thinking of trying out a couple color schemes though.....i went with the green wash version this go around ..the movie one seems to be a bluish grey and i've seen other pictures of a brownish one. i might try them all and see what works best.

drefin1.JPG drefin2.JPG drefin3.JPG

probablly start an int thread in the junkyard some time tonight so watch out for it!:ninja

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    ATL Kenobi likes this.
  17. ultraman

got the int thread up in the junk yard for those interested.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240570

i also thought of making this into a kit for you to paint and put together yourself....let me know if maybe that's something you're into!

18. ATL Kenobi

Great work!

Interesting. I always thought that Dre was in shades of mottled brown, but the HP Wiki says the skin colour is "Dark green with black parts". I believe IMHO that the bluish grey images are a result of it being filmed at night. My preference FWIW would be for the "brownish" version.

Dre_Head.jpg

I'd like to humbly make 2 suggestions. The twine (sutures) you're using could be a little smaller diameter wise and perhaps a shade darker. And the beads in the dreads would benefit from a wash with some diluted wood stain to take off some of the brightness.

I've signed up for 1 in your interest thread, Thanks!

ATL

19. lynx0099

heyyy Ultra, that shrunken head is wonderful as i said! i wonder something; how big is it exactly? and i think ATL Kenobi is right. i would also be interesting in a brownish version. i like it sooo much :) :love

20. ultraman

thanks for the comments guys!

yeah i was thinking of doing a brown version next to see how it looks.
    i will be using smaller 2mm hemp twine when i can get my hands on some...i didn't have any for this last test so i bought a hand bag that was made of a twine like material and deconstructed it for this head you see in the pics.
    so the hemp should be darker and smaller all by it's self but i may do a wash of wood stain on it and the beads!

to answer lynx...the head by it's self is about 4inches which i think is about 10.2cm and with the hair its about 14 inch or 35.6cm.

i'll add you guys to the int thread in the junkyard!:cool

21. Monkey540

Monkey540 Sr Member

Hey there Ultra, have you gotten around to starting a brownish version?

22. ultraman

yeah i started base coating one and got his dreads done...i made them thinner this go around.
    finally got in some hemp to do the hair wrap with but i will still need to get some of the thinner stuff to do the stitches with.

summer time is my busy season...its were i do 90% of my money for the year so my props take to the back burner unfortunately.
    i'll get back on him when i get the time but i'm pretty slammed for the next few months.

23. ATL Kenobi

Has it been a few months yet??? :)

Really looking forward to seeing this project completed!

ATL

24. ultraman

yep it's time!

i start on props again sept 1st which is tomorrow!

had to do the "real job" for the 3 months of summer!
    all done now and getting back in to gear!:cool

started warming up last night doing a mold for schlitzie's fairy fossil.

25. ultraman

well it took forever and a decade but i finally got around to doing a brown version...which came out a little better.
    this go around he was slush cast so it's hallow like a real shrunken head.

browndre1.JPG browndre2.JPG browndre3.JPG browndre4.JPG

26. ATL Kenobi

:thumbsup That's just too cool! :D I hope you'll do a run of these - I'm definitely interested.

ATL

27. Steve70000

Steve70000 New Member

Wow really nice.

28. ultraman

thanks guys...he still needs a couple colors painted on. then he'll be done.

i'm hoping to do a limited run once i get around to getting more black roving for the hair.
    already have 10 heads cast and sanded down.

KevinBGoode likes this.
  29. Steve70000

Steve70000 New Member

can count me in for one..they are ace,,,,

30. lynx0099

heyy Ultra, great job, as always. im glad that you have decided to complete this project. it is a great idea from beginning. i absolutely like it :thumbsup