Ultracal 30 question,........

Philby

i need advice from ya masters,........

i'm afraid to start goopin stuff over a clay sculpt,......
do i need to put vaseline between the sculpt and the ultracal ????

second------does the master sculpt get destroyed in the process ?????

just wondering,......don't wanna dick up a sculpt if i don't fully understand everything,......

I don't use vaseline as a release agent for my clay,I use klean klay which is a oil based clay I use clear coat acrylic
krylon I use Vaseline as a release agent for the ultra cal not to stick to itself when you do the 2nd part of your mold
hope that kinda helps you if not don't fear there's lots of huntorials here just use the search button good luck ;)

i need advice from ya masters,........

i'm afraid to start goopin stuff over a clay sculpt,......
do i need to put vaseline between the sculpt and the ultracal ????

second------does the master sculpt get destroyed in the process ?????

just wondering,......don't wanna dick up a sculpt if i don't fully understand everything,......

Just use krylon crystal clear on the sculpt.Let it dry before putting ultracal on..You will only use the vasoline between the 2 mold halfs.

right on ,......thanks guys,..... i need to probably do a few tattoos first ,...ha h aha i'm sure this is gonna cost a bit,.......but where does money go ,...really

right on ,......thanks guys,..... i need to probably do a few tattoos first ,...ha h aha i'm sure this is gonna cost a bit,.......but where does money go ,...really

yeah bud, ultracal goes fast and is mess for us beginners lol then the clay and spray takes money too,

i went through a 100 lb bag of ultra cal for a head sclupt, for being a noob at it hahahaha never again !

just take ur time ! and if ur making a head or anything with a two part mold make sure for the border you use
a clay that is durrible and gets hard, i got the wrong kind so it fell and all the ultracal went everywhere.

yeah bud, ultracal goes fast and is mess for us beginners lol then the clay and spray takes money too,

i went through a 100 lb bag of ultra cal for a head sclupt, for being a noob at it hahahaha never again !

just take ur time ! and if ur making a head or anything with a two part mold make sure for the border you use
a clay that is durrible and gets hard, i got the wrong kind so it fell and all the ultracal went everywhere.

right right,.......yea i'm tryin to go thru it all in my head so i can maybe avoid mistakes,......or just using too much stuff,.....
i'll probably start small and just do the front of the head with some thickness,.........then see how it goes,....
maybe if i can tackle that i can get into complex stuff like full body n all that

already got a cast of my face and a bio helmet i made that's kindof a medieval version ,.......
i'll post pics once i figure out how to get em smaller,......my camera's lowest setting is 600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8hYA0zV4qI Should explain everything you need to know ( I do not take credit for the vid), I do know it was done by someone here though, it's buried in the Huntorials somewhere.

yea i actually saw this video before i knew about thehunterslair,......
it definately answered alot of questions i hadn't even thought of yet,.....
good lookin out though,.......

a main question i got is hard to explain but,.......
say i have a case mold of the mask,.....front and back,....
and a cast of my head,......what's the process of putting them both together to get a perfect fit,....
only thing i could think of was to just do like a bowl mold .......pour in the latex and then just press the mold of my face into it

probably wrong but,..... gotta ask to learn.......

yea i actually saw this video before i knew about thehunterslair,......
it definately answered alot of questions i hadn't even thought of yet,.....
good lookin out though,.......

a main question i got is hard to explain but,.......
say i have a case mold of the mask,.....front and back,....
and a cast of my head,......what's the process of putting them both together to get a perfect fit,....
only thing i could think of was to just do like a bowl mold .......pour in the latex and then just press the mold of my face into it

probably wrong but,..... gotta ask to learn.......
That is a bit more complex. Do a search on youtube for polytek or smoothon for face molds and that should help. Need a bit of moldmaking experience before you tackle this one.

If your talking about lining the mold back up, that would be the mold keys. If that's not what you meant just disregard this.

wel what are you casting ? latex or silicone ? latex mask always have to be oversized to make sure they fit, but silicone
can stretch and fit perfect, best bet imo

i didn't even think about that ,.......the mold of my face was when i was laying down so the neck is thicker,.....but it's only the front of my face,....
thought maybe just balloonin the back for extra room when i cast it,.......don't know if it'll work though,......maybe i should use one of my kids boiuncy balls so it'll come off easier and not dip in,.....

seems i learn somethin new everyday on here so i'm trying to do it in the head first to avoid waste or just plain fuckin it up,....

thanks for the advice guys,.....
soon as i get some clay i'll start asking more serious questions,.....

thank god for the lair,.....

If your talking about lining the mold back up, that would be the mold keys. If that's not what you meant just disregard this.

yea thats kinda what i meant,.....but i just don't understand how to get my face mold inside the mask,......hard to explain since i don't know the lingo,.....

so basically it's not necessaryu to make it fit my face perfectly ????
just figured it wouldn't sag or wrinkle if it was exact,....but then again ,....
how would i talk or flex if it's exact so ,......i dunno ,.....

guess i'll mess with it 2 differewnt ways ,....as long as the mold holds up i guess i can give it a few tries,.....
do you guys mold it when the clays still wet ???

thats somethin else i don't quite get ,......i'd hate to destroy a sculpt because of my own dumbness,.....
sorry for asking so many questions,....
i just wanna be rad too ,.......ha ha h a

Philby
high caliber tattoos

wel what are you casting ? latex or silicone ? latex mask always have to be oversized to make sure they fit, but silicone
can stretch and fit perfect, best bet imo

how much do you think i'd need for say 2 masks ???
any idea the cost ???

oh,....latex probably ,....i'll try silicone later,....

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back