Ultrabot build?

6Speed

Hello, my daughter loves this book and I would like to make the toy for her. It looks fairly straight forward but I wanted to see if any rpf folks had any ideas for off the shelf items I could use to build the robot? Here are pics from the book, thank you all for any advice you can offer:
91YQYKoushL.jpg
560x0w.png
560x0w2.png

While I don't have any suggestions for any specific items I would suggest that you just keep your eyes open to anything you happen to see in stores as well as whatever is lying around your house, esp. before you toss things out to the trash or recycling. I have a small bin (a bit smaller than a typical shoe box) full of random odds and ends that I've pulled from things that were being tossed out. I've even disassembled fans and humidifiers in order to see if they had any interesting looking components in them. Do this and you're bound to find at least a few pieces of "trash" that you could repurpose for building this robot.

As far as the head, shoulders joints, hips, hands, joints of the legs are concerned, you could always go to Michael's and see if they have those half-round kinda balls. For the main body, look for straight flower pots, trash can, etc. I use the word "straight" to make sure that the design of the pots are not into a trapeze form: i.e. cannot be stacked into one and another. The size of your opening should be the same as your bottom.
The pelvis could be done in cardboard; it's pretty straightforward as well as the forearms and the joins of shoulders and hips (big round circles around the ball-joints) Depending on the scale, you could use the heads of needle that you cut and affix onto the robot. Fingers are a little more complicated, maybe you could sculpt them using Sculpy or other similar compound. Good luck.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back