UK guys - is anybody intered in a *Proper* UK Prop Party?

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm looking into the possibilty of organising a prop party in the UK along the lines of our American cousins.

i have had meets at cons before, but everyone is always incredibly busy doing their thing, it's difficult to get to know pepole, and most importantly, we don't get to to show off our prop collections.

I'm looking at the possibility of getting something together in the Surrey area next February, to coincide with my 40th birthday :$

Curry and beer later on for those that are up for it.

I haven't look into venues yet, just want to guage if their is any interest.

Please post if you would be interested in attending.

Cheers,

Simon

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Oct 8 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]1334419[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(apollo @ Oct 8 2006, 10:57 PM) [snapback]1334406[/snapback]
So what do you consider "Proper"? ;)
[/b]

Not a convention meet-up.
[/b][/quote]

Gotcha.

My friends ex-wife was from Birmingham and I used to love her terminolgy of things and accent.

She always made sure she took the dog out for a "Proper" walk as opposed to her husband. :lol

Would SS models be welcome, distance and time depending id have a few to maybe show, always wanted to do some meet ups with the likeminded, and WF is a long way from brummie land lol.

lee

<div class='quotetop'>(apollo @ Oct 9 2006, 11:43 PM) [snapback]1334949[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Oct 8 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]1334419[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>(apollo @ Oct 8 2006, 10:57 PM) [snapback]1334406[/snapback]
So what do you consider "Proper"? ;)
[/b]

Not a convention meet-up.
[/b][/quote]

Gotcha.

My friends ex-wife was from Birmingham and I used to love her terminolgy of things and accent.

She always made sure she took the dog out for a "Proper" walk as opposed to her husband. :lol
[/b][/quote]

nought wrong with us Brummies mucka. btw what accent? :lol

Hae it up near Glesga an' wull show ye whit proapur Inglish is aw aboot, ya buncha poash-haverin' fannybawzes.
:)

It's amazing how Americans will travel all over their enormous country to visit these kind of events, yet if you try and get something going in the UK, it's 'I might turn up if you make sure it's five minutes walk from my door, and if I haven't anything better to do.'

Apathetic bloody country, I've no sympathy at all :unsure

calm down calm down like, anyone got a bifta?, scouser here, Yeah i would be willing, just depends on work.
Sounds like a good idea :)

I'd be up for it too. Missed the last Space Center event in Leicester coz of work, and I'm lending accomodation to a non-genre mate next month (who strangely enough wouldn't share the same enthusiasm) so will miss the upcoming one too :(

.. But in principle I'd up for a prop party anywhere.*

Jeremy
*within maximum travelling radius of 7.5 mins from front door, naturally. :p

<div class='quotetop'>(Reverend Scapegoat @ Oct 11 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]1336284[/snapback]</div>
It's a matter of scale... And cost.
:|
[/b]

I think the idea would be the host sucks up the cost, contributions welcome :), only any dealer tables would be required to pay a fee. What I had in mind was just setting up tables for folk to bring and display their collections on (preferably by prior arrangement).

I had also been planning to arrange a few screenings, including the Blade Runner Dallas/Denver Workprint, maybe get some talks/demos on mould-making and casting, scratch-building, costuming etc.

Drinking and having fun.

I had planned on working out something with the local theatre who have all the facilities we would need. I was waiting to guage the interest before contacting any of the more well-known collectors to see if they wanted to put in appearances.

Unfortunateley the general response doesn't seem sufficient to make such an event possible.

I meant more the scale of the USA compared to the UK, and the comparitively expensive travel costs over here.

I don't drive, so would only be able to bring a few items down if travelling by public transport - And even if one of the lads from up here decided to drive, petrol's still expensive.
Then there's accomodation...

If an event's big enough, and I can arrange travel and babysitting, I'm up for it - But I don't think I could make more than two, maybe three trips outside Scotland in a year. And there's already the Leicester Sci Fi Weekend II and Star Wars C.E. to think about...

Anyway, there's never big events in Scotland. Do it up here. I'll provide the Irn Bru.

Here man, divvent tawk t'me aboot accents, like.

Us Geordies huv got thu monopoly on accents, y'knaa.

Gan canny and haway the lads. :)

Prop parties aren't about scale, I think that's half the point.

I'm not a big fan of conventions. They're too big, too impersonal, full of people trying to sell you crap and 99% of the time you see they same old crap. Props to costumers, but that ain't me.

The US prop fans seem to have circumvented this by creating prop parties, which appeal to me a great deal more. You get to see stuff you will likeley never see (in the flesh,so to speak) at Cons, and you get to meet people and share coversations at length. It has the word 'party' in it for a reason.

Maybe there just aren't enough people in the hobby in the UK. Certainly seems to be a lack of prop guys with cars (myself included). Seems a shame, maybe I should have mentioned the punch & pie.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back