UK Gold Chrome Spray paint for C-3PO

Originally posted by clutch@Jan 4 2006, 04:24 PM
Why was the ESB 3po painted?
[snapback]1150433[/snapback]​

First off all I have to say that I'm impressed by this paint, a good "poor man's option" for real plating. However, non of the OT Threepios including the ESB and ROTJ Threepio suits were painted. They were plated but then dulled down, probably with some flat varnish to hide reflections of the crew. If you look closely you can see the plating peeking thru all the areas that has weathering and chipping in the clear coat. This is exactly the same way I did my ESB Threepio. I have a hard time seeing how a non plated helmet could get this look.

Here's my plated and then satin varnish weathered head. The black scratches are actual gold plating and not black paint, just appears this way on the pic.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/THREEPIO-web.jpg[/image]

Here's a pic of Anthony holding an original (probably) ROTJ head. See, same thing. The plating can be clearly visible thru the chipping varnish.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/c3po2b.jpg[/image]

Steve.

i don´t want to hijack this thread, but some of you seem to know where to get the right spray paints...

i´m looking for the real deal paint for a screenaccurate sandtrooper armor.
i´ve done a lot of research and found out that Rustoleum Gloss White in the taller, silver can and maybe Krylon Fusion gloss white.
am i right with this? :love

where can i get it in germany or may it be easier to ship it from the u.k.?

sorry, but maybe there will be no better chance to find so many paint-experts together in one thread. :angel

I take back what I said about this paint being so bad. I must've had a bad can last time I tried it which was about a year ago. After seeing these results on c3p0, curiosity got the better of me and I bought another can.

I first tried it on a fiberglass mannequin hand and I was very impressed with the results.

So I got carried away and sprayed it over my already (badly cleaned up and badly painted, complete with paint runs and pin holes etc) Indy Idol . It turned out so damn good that I thought it was a waste of such a nice gold finish on a piece that didn't do it justice. So I spent the whole evening stripping the paint right back to the bare resin so that I could fill/sand and clean the whole thing up to perfection and prep it properly before spraying it gold again.

I'll post pictures once its finished.

Thanks Chris for making me a believer... I BELIEVE.

Now I'm definitely going for a full c3p0 costume :)

Originally posted by RoCKo@Jan 9 2006, 07:19 PM
thanx chris...   i knew i could count on you....    ;)
[snapback]1154630[/snapback]​

Steve,
i don't think people are saying the paint can replace plating,just it is a fantastic and cheaper alternative which is no bad thing.
Bruce

Here's my crappy resin Idol painted with this Plastikote Brilliant Metalic Gold. For paint from a spray can it looks excellent. Need to give it a few days to fully cure before I turn it over to paint the other side.

idol1.jpg

idol2.jpg

I still can't believe that's paint from a can. It looks amazing. I'll have to try and get my friend from the UK to try to send me some. Hmmmm...

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back