UK Gold Chrome Spray paint for C-3PO

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Trooper TK409, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

This paint isn't sold in the US so you have to get someone to buy it in the UK and ship it. It's available at an auto parts store called Halford's. For paint out of a can, the gold chrome results of reflectivity are suprisingly impressive. You need to sand you piece smooth for best results. These pics have not be touched by photoshop except to resize them.
    More photos here:
    http://freepgs.com/tk409/paint/

[​IMG]

EDIT* Paint brand name is Plasti-kote Brilliant Metallic. It comes in Gold chrome, silver chorme and copper chrome.
    http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Site/products...p?PRODUCT_ID=46

2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What's the brand name of the paint?

- k

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe the brand name is same as the store - Halford's.

4. wtac

wtac Well-Known Member

There is a company called plasticote who do a really good gold chrome effect paint, they also do a special paint for bar b Qs that is great for blasters

5. phase pistol

yeah but plasticote is sold in the states.

-k

6. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

What are the laws surrounding transporting spray paints?

I tried to get some Krylon spray paints from the US to ship to Scotland and the company who I tried to buy from said they couldn't fly them as they were pressurised and they couldn't send them surface as they were considered toxic.

Can anyone clear this up for me please :)

Cheers Chris.

7. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Chris, there is an issue with transporting "hazardous" goods by aircraft although just what constitues a "hazard" I dont know. I remember when Steve the Swede and I were trying to get US paints for a Boba Fett helmet project, it was a nightmare even though they werent pressurised, just enamels.

I recently got some Krylon spray from a UK supplier, although it was a triple clear shine but might be worth a look as they may have paints too.

www.craftaway.co.uk

Cheers

Jez

8. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

I can get plastikote paint locally no prob.

SAS

9. Star Wars Helmets

I think he was trying to get Krylon

Cheers

jez

10. RKW

RKW Sr Member

It's my understanding that Halfords doesn't actually produce the paint but simply buys it in and fills the aerosols up for you on demand and re-badges it as Halfords paint. It might be an idea to ask them who their paint supplier is as they may be an international company.

11. voice in the crowd

Yeah Jez it is a minefield transporting these products. I do have a friend in the U.S. who was willing to ground ship spray paints without declaring what was actually in the package and with a false senders address but I never needed to use him thankfully. Some UK stores stock Krylon but just not the colours I wanted.

Also thanks for the info on the Krylon Jez.

I take it for granted the Halfords spray cans are equally as hard to ship to the U.S. if our friends in the U.S. wanted them.

Trooper TK409 have you shipped any of this paint and if so did you have problems?

Cheers Chris.

12. fettster

fettster Sr Member

the paint in question is plasticote brillant metallics.

It comes in gold, chome and brass finishes.

I was the one who sent it to tk409.

I boxed it up, took it to the post office and labeled the customs form as gold spray paint and it got to him no problem.

Dont know if this was a fluke tho.

13. Trooper TK409

Fettster is right, and although Plasti-kote is sold in the US, this particular line of "Brilliant Metallics" is not. If you visit their website http://www.plastikote.com you'll see a distinction between the US and Euro site. The US site doesn't offer this line. Fettster sent me 2 cans and they shipped fine.

14. Star Wars Helmets

..and as I remember the results were very impressive. Far better than any other "home/hobby/automotive" spray I've seen

Good find by Fettster and 409

Cheers

Jez

15. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Do I take it the Krylon 18K Gold spray can is no good?

16. voice in the crowd

Oh so you guys are international paint smugglers :D

What next drugs, diamonds, guns. You just don't know what company you keep on the RPF :lol

Thanks for the great advice fettster and Trooper TK409 I will be trying some of this out on a wee project I have in mind :) .

Cheers Chris.

17. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I tried that stuff and it came out looking like mud.

And shipping paint abroad is hit and miss.

18. Trooper TK409

I fixed the links. Pics posted above.

19. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

heres a head done in this paint, it comes out ok if you know what your doing, chris ...you know what your doing, your stuff looks great :thumbsup

have you done the torso yet????

[​IMG]

20. Blad

Blad Sr Member

The plastikote bright metallics look fantastic, but take forever to dry, weeks or even months is not unrealistic.

Until dry the finish is very fragile, finger prints, dust, the slightest scrape or mark will damage the paint.

21. Star Wars Helmets

All the above points are agreed. IMO the best solution is full vacuum metalising but as many here are aware its a complex and expensive option.

If you're looking for a low-cost gold finish then the plasticote is probably the best you'll get.

I suppose you get what you pay for.

Cheers

Jez

22. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

Hmm... Might have to try the silver from that range for my next Fett project :)
    Can it be overpainted?

23. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

You can always remove paint with brake fluid (NOT brake cleaner). I have tried it and it works. Just brush it on and leave for an hour and then wipe off - do not leave on for more than an hour at a time... in this way you will not risk that it soaks into the plastic/underlying material. Don't try to rub off the paint, just brush on another layer and leave for an hour - if you want it to work better you can brush on a layer and place the item in an airteight plastic bag for 30 minutes.

Once finished wash over the item with house hold alcohol and let it dry - just to be extra safe, let it dry for at least 24 hours.

Then you should be able to start painting again. :)

24. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Why was the ESB 3po painted?

25. Too Much Garlic

Hmm... I thought only the RotJ 3-PO was painted. Maybe the picture was used to illustrate that this paint looks pretty much like the gold plating used on the costume in the first two movies... I dunno...

26. Trooper TK409

My fiberglass arms were done without any sanding - they ship with a primer coat and
    sanded so they're smooth already. All my parts are fiberglass, even the small
    details pistons. I had a little "orange peel" surface appear only on my Zorg helmet
    either because it's resin or because of some silicone mold residue. The paint is
    actually very easy to use. Just spray it on. The arms above are with one coat
    sprayed from about 7" away. It's dry to the light touch in about a 30 mins, but don't
    try handling it for 2-3 days. It is easy dusted with a lint-free cloth and the surface is
    hard and smooth, like polished metal. I haven't yet determined whether fingerprints
    after 3 days can polish out or not. I have found that handling it with those cheap,
    white cotton, museum gloves is best.

The pictures don't do it justice because my garage isn't exactly an optimum
    photography environment to show reflectivity. A video would actually help illustrate
    the reflectivity better. I'll try and get one tonight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. fettster

fettster Sr Member

who you calling a smuggler? i dont know, try and do a guy a favor. :lol

28. Trooper TK409

I smuggler? No.

A scruffy-looking nerf herder? Yes. :D

29. phase pistol

Scoundrel.

30. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

I think you misunderstood me :)
    I wanted to know if I could use it as the bottom coat on a layered Fett helmet - i.e. paint the silver, then pask off "Scratched" sections so that the silver shows through the next few layers.
    i.e. - Will other paints stick to this stuff, once it's dried?

31. fettster

fettster Sr Member

chris,

sent you an email mate

all best

32. Too Much Garlic

Yes, I did. .)
    Shame on me... I should have realized. Some paint their Fett in chrome or silver before applying the colors... heh... guess I was too fast there with the brake fluid. :lol

33. Trooper TK409

34. Blad

Blad Sr Member

Plasticote Metallic effect paints look amazing, but the finish is incredibly fragile.

It's touch-dry in about 3 days, but sticky for several weeks. Regardless of primer used (including Plasticote's own)

If you touch it within 24 hours you will leave a finger-print, 3 days & you may get away with it, 3 weeks and you should be OK.

Sitting the item in a paint oven for a few hours may help, but I found that the plasticote either assumed a 'crackle finish' or looked a little like orange peel.

You can't use lacquer as it destroys the finish.

However, for a cheap metallic gold effect it's very er... effective.

35. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Yup, what he said. :)

I don't think it would work well as a 'base' coat to achieve the effect you are going for RS.

36. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

Wow, pretty neat. I bet this would work well for the ANH version, in conjunction with metalizing. I really like the multi-finish "spare parts" look that he has in ANH.

37. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Are there different starndards or regulations between the US ands Europe regarding what elements can be in a paint?

I though I'd heard something like this in an Alclad discussion...

38. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

Any pics in the sunlight?

39. Trooper TK409

I'm working on getting shots outside at the moment. I'll post them as soon as I can.

40. Replicator1701

Replicator1701 Well-Known Member

Where did you find your C3P0 kit?
    I'd love to build one...

41. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

First off all I have to say that I'm impressed by this paint, a good "poor man's option" for real plating. However, non of the OT Threepios including the ESB and ROTJ Threepio suits were painted. They were plated but then dulled down, probably with some flat varnish to hide reflections of the crew. If you look closely you can see the plating peeking thru all the areas that has weathering and chipping in the clear coat. This is exactly the same way I did my ESB Threepio. I have a hard time seeing how a non plated helmet could get this look.

Here's my plated and then satin varnish weathered head. The black scratches are actual gold plating and not black paint, just appears this way on the pic.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/THREEPIO-web.jpg[/image]

Here's a pic of Anthony holding an original (probably) ROTJ head. See, same thing. The plating can be clearly visible thru the chipping varnish.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/c3po2b.jpg[/image]

Steve.

42. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

i don´t want to hijack this thread, but some of you seem to know where to get the right spray paints...

i´m looking for the real deal paint for a screenaccurate sandtrooper armor.
    i´ve done a lot of research and found out that Rustoleum Gloss White in the taller, silver can and maybe Krylon Fusion gloss white.
    am i right with this? :love

where can i get it in germany or may it be easier to ship it from the u.k.?

sorry, but maybe there will be no better chance to find so many paint-experts together in one thread. :angel

43. Trooper TK409

pm sent hijacker. :p

44. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

thanx chris... i knew i could count on you.... ;)

45. kurtyboy

I take back what I said about this paint being so bad. I must've had a bad can last time I tried it which was about a year ago. After seeing these results on c3p0, curiosity got the better of me and I bought another can.

I first tried it on a fiberglass mannequin hand and I was very impressed with the results.

So I got carried away and sprayed it over my already (badly cleaned up and badly painted, complete with paint runs and pin holes etc) Indy Idol . It turned out so * good that I thought it was a waste of such a nice gold finish on a piece that didn't do it justice. So I spent the whole evening stripping the paint right back to the bare resin so that I could fill/sand and clean the whole thing up to perfection and prep it properly before spraying it gold again.

I'll post pictures once its finished.

Thanks Chris for making me a believer... I BELIEVE.

Now I'm definitely going for a full c3p0 costume :)

46. hellsbellsboys

hellsbellsboys Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Steve,
    i don't think people are saying the paint can replace plating,just it is a fantastic and cheaper alternative which is no bad thing.
    Bruce

47. kurtyboy

Here's my crappy resin Idol painted with this Plastikote Brilliant Metalic Gold. For paint from a spray can it looks excellent. Need to give it a few days to fully cure before I turn it over to paint the other side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

48. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I still can't believe that's paint from a can. It looks amazing. I'll have to try and get my friend from the UK to try to send me some. Hmmmm...