UK bans the import of *anything remotely harmful*...

Re: UK bans import of replica firearms...

Which reminds me. A while back, I emailed a few 'bodies' to ask them if they knew what the current state of the Law was regarding replicas. The address list included a certain UK "Gun Control lobby". One of them replied with this rather condescending reply...

Thank you for contacting us regarding your interest in owning replica etc. firearms. Our advice would be that although you may feel you have a legitimate need for these items, regardless of their legal status all replica firearms are potentially extremely dangerous. Whether or not the replica is able to discharge a projectile, a victim being threatened by a gunman will believe they are about to be shot if they do not comply with the criminals request. Encounters with replica weapons have long term effects on victims and their families.

Replica weapons become lost, get left in cars which are stolen, get taken in house break-ins etc. and in this way they fall into criminal hands and can then enable gun crime. People handling replica weapons in public cause concern to other people, and members of the public dial 999 to report such activity. There have been incidents when people carrying replica weapons are caught on CCTV cameras and armed response units are deployed. Armed Police in Derbyshire shot and killed an individual who was later found to be armed with a replica weapon which was actually a cigarette lighter.

Rather than examining specific details regarding the legality of particular types of replica weapons we suggest you consider the larger issue of personal safety when carrying replica weapons, and the possibility of replica weapons being used in crime.

• Who in their right-mind would leave replica weapons in a car?
• Who in their right-mind "handles replica weapons in public"?
So what if the police shoot people carrying replica weapons in public? That's just proving Charles Darwin right yet again if you ask me...

:thumbsdown

Last edited:

Exports are still affected with certain exemptions and a kit still falls under the manufacture of imitation firearms.

Criminals are using replicas to terrorise their victims and some are modifying gas blow backs and airsofts to fire real rounds. A properly de-activated real firearm should be totally incapable of being modified to fire.

Im not saying your wrong - but do you have links ot examples of this?

I fit real parts to my guns so I know how little of a airsoft gun is compatible with the real thing. I have over 100 guns and theres not one of them that could take the forces of firing a real round - the guns would explode and not fire.

Airsoft guns break in two just shooting bbs never mind a real round.:lol

Also Airsoft are often more expensive than Deacts. (mine are anyways) Unless you buy the really poor quality chinese ones. And then the materials are worse so even less likely to convert.

There ARE cases of people converting starter pistols being used (which are made like real guns) - but these explode in criminals hands when they fire. I saw a news article with the crim having lost a couple fingers and the victim survived. If they are dodgy an airsoft with a real round in it is lethal only to the person trying to fire it.

If I stick too much gas in my blowbacks they break - I have a few real mags - Glock and some rifle mags - I know theres no way to get them to fit. Theres no way a bullet or a magazine with a bullet could fit my glock.

Deactivated weapons can be reactivated...and apparently easily. Panorama on the bbc website has a episode about reactivating an UZI they bought for £400 - it came with deact certificate IIRC. It might have been newsnight....

Sorry I don't.

I'm simply repeating what is being reported by the media. They've mentioned modifying the barrels but haven't gone into any great detail for obvious reasons. I've seen make shift guns such as just a pipe before but I have no idea how feasible an airsoft gun is. A deactivated gun maybe cheaper but a replica is easier to buy.

Sorry I don't.

I'm simply repeating what is being reported by the media. They've mentioned modifying the barrels but haven't gone into any great detail for obvious reasons. I've seen make shift guns such as just a pipe before but I have no idea how feasible an airsoft gun is. A deactivated gun maybe cheaper but a replica is easier to buy.

Deacts are available on line.

If your a gansta` you can try http://www.dwsuk.com/oscommerce/index.php

They have some great stuff - check out their USP.

They are a bit more expensive than some places. There are forums not unlike this where you can buy deacts through classifieds.

Im sure the crims will have their own sources. :cool

I have not seen one single media report that says anything close to the truth on airsoft. I can confirm unless you bolt a real working receiver and barrel and trigger group onto an airsoft it will not fire. And if you do fit those parts you dont need a airsoft gun...you have a gun already.

What to consider is its like trying to get a SUPER SOAKER to fire a real round. If you ever get it to fire say goodbye to your face and fingers as it explodes in a spray of pink plastic.

My guess is the Panorama Deact converted to activated story has its own half truths that you wont spot unless you have gunsmith knowledge.

The whole reason this change in the law exists is to be seen to be doing something about gun crime - the fact it will make no difference is not important.

I think this ban is foolish to say the least.
If the point is to stop criminals using replicas to threaten people it wont work these criminals will simply look for illegal sources
now why would anyone smuggle illegal safe replicas if they are going to break the law they may aswell smuggle in the real thing.
Is there any law to prohibit the manufacture or owning of replica firearms or is it just importing or exporting them ?

That's insane! Okay, this got me going...

This is why many Americans are vehemently against any additional firearms restrictions. If you give a little, they eventually take everything.

Personally, I'm willing to live in a slightly more dangerous society in exchange for the right not to be treated like a child by condescending politicians behaving in a knee-jerk manner to emotionally distraught victims who are seeking illogical answers to unexplainable and irresolvable problems.

Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany were very safe places to live and had the strictest gun laws on earth. But who wants to live there?

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil recently banned all firearms due to the rising levels of crime. It had no effect on the problem.

The right to own a firearm, be it real or reproduction, is a fundamental concept directly related to the idea that government that can trust its citizens is a government that can be trusted. When a government begins to be condescending to it's citizenry by trying to protect them from every "loner wacko," one needs to begin questioning one's government.

There are two options that lead to less gun crime but are impossible to enforce: 1) Create a homogeneous society in which culture and class struggles do not exist. 2) Establish a police state. I'd rather live in the Wild Wild West than be forced to exist under either of those paradigms.

I say enough is enough. Rearm England, and take back your country from the criminals who prey on the unarmed citizenry of your extraordinary nation.

Phil

That's insane! Okay, this got me going...

I say enough is enough. Rearm England, and take back your country from the criminals who prey on the unarmed citizenry of your extraordinary nation.

Phil

That's the thing really, England and the rest of the UK never were armed. We have no recent history of widespread gun ownership and automatic weapons have been banned for private ownership since Dunblain.

To own a target rifle (which cannot be automatic) you need a background check and license.

We already have laws on public display of weapons, if you walk down the street brandishing a pistol, be it replica or not then the Police will take a robust position on this.

Remember the vast majority of British Policemen are still not armed, gun deaths are a fraction of that experienced in the US and a special armed-response unit needs to be called out whenever a gun is suspect.

This law is being driven by the Police who apparently waste a huge amount of time dealing with replica weapons when they could be out stopping people for speeding or giving out parking tickets.

It's also being hyped by the British media who equate an airsoft gun or any replica with a real gun because it 'can be easily converted to fire real bullets' which is blatent crap.

Unfortunately the whole thing is a knee-jerk reaction to inner-city youth problems which punishes the innocent collector, wargamer or movie fan far more than a spotty youth who fancies he's a 'gangsta' with a Pound World plastic Beretta.

You're absolutely right Phil in suggesting the British Government does not trust it's population, the raft of nanny-state legislation Blair's Government has passed or has in the pipeline is frightening.

There are already enough idiots on the road, I don't need them to be packing too
:lol

One interesting statistic reported that came out after the recent Virginia Massacre was that more Americans die each day from gun incidents than people over in Iraq. So the American public are demanding that the troops be brought home because of rising casualties yet they happily do nothing about Americans dying in their own backyard
:confused

I always despise laws that punish the innocent for the possible actions of a few idiots. The percentage of crimes using replica firearms anywhere must be extremely low. How about get the idiot drivers off the road, especially those that drink and drive? I have to believe more people get killed that way than any replica trooper blaster will ever cause. Silly, silly people. :(

P.S. RKW, those numbers you mention are not based on percentages. There are millions of Americans NOT getting shot every day. All they looked at was raw numbers. Not very scientific.

Last edited:

This sort of thing keeps happening in this country. Stupid laws that make absolutely no difference to the crime levels. I already don't trust the postal service and customs not to steal or lose anything I get sent an these are the same crooks and morons who are going to be responsible for checking if something is a dangerous firearm?

The comparisons between Britain and nazi Germany are very fair, passing laws without public approval, launching secret police forces to enforce new laws, punishing people for not fitting their percieved "norm" is only one very small step away from being a fascist state.

I personally have had enough of this s*** and am leaving as soon as possible!:thumbsdown

This sort of thing keeps happening in this country. I personally have had enough of this s*** and am leaving as soon as possible!:thumbsdown

I guess the grass is always greener on the otherside. But I don't blame you, if I lived in Scotland I would want to move. Too damn cold and wet!

Personally, I'm willing to live in a slightly more dangerous society in exchange for the right not to be treated like a child by condescending politicians behaving in a knee-jerk manner to emotionally distraught victims who are seeking illogical answers to unexplainable and irresolvable problems.

BINGO!!!

I found the following info very intersting.
the Centre for Defence Studies in London, which shows that criminal use of handguns increased by 40% in the two years immediately after the 1997 ban on handguns. In the years 1997-1998, 2,648 crimes involving handguns were reported. In 1999-2000, that number had increased to 3,685. This is not far off the peak of seven years previous, which reported 4,273 such offences.

The U.K. is what...the size of Texas? Compare the ammount of gun violence in a country the size of the U.K. against a country the size of the U.S. Perhaps the numbers even out after all, even with a gun ban in the U.K. What I find funny is some of my U.K. brothers I talk to are saying, "The U.S. should just ban guns. Thats all. Just ban them." I have to remind them that due to the fact that the right to own guns is part of the foundation of our countries constitution and although tougher laws may be passed, the U.S. will never, EVER ban guns. Period. To think this can happen with even a good push by a vast number of politicians is just a fantasy and nothing more.

Call me foolish, but I'd rather have my gun if someone tries to come into my home for any reason they shouldn't be there, especially if they also have a gun. Harsh language will just not work on someone who's attempting to harm or threaten you.

Last edited:

I guess the grass is always greener on the otherside. But I don't blame you, if I lived in Scotland I would want to move. Too damn cold and wet!

Im in scotland too - I`m moving to Torronto for a couple years and then Japan...back to UK for a couple months per year.

I definately cant take my gun collection to Canada AFAIK airsoft restrictions there are already tighter than a choir boy.

Either I keep them here for when I return and hope I dont get burgled which there is a high chance of in Scotland or I flog them and wait till I move to Japan and start the collection again...:confused

When I rush to buy the guns to beat what was meant to be an very impending deadline on the ban at that point I didnt relaise I wouldnt be living here...:lol :thumbsdown

Although the grass is no greener anywhere else, perhaps we just have to be more inventive in our transactions with each other?

I don't think the government has any real belief that this will lower guncrimes, it's a 'seen to be done' publicity exercise.

A criiminal who may have committed a robbery with a replica is going to be more likeley to seek out a real firearm now.

If they really want prevent gun cime they would be better served tightening the countriy's borders to the flow of illegal firearms from Eastern Europe.

"This sort of thing keeps happening in this country. I personally have had enough of this s*** and am leaving as soon as possible!"

Im with you there bro, some of the parts of the vcr bill i agree with but since there are already around 1 million replica weapons in circulation already its kinda closeing the door after the whole farm has bolted.

its all to do with how the govenment is percived(sp) they ban replicas and the "norms" and the M.A.G. people (no disrespect to them or the loved ones they have lost) have a little party then some poor young lad is shot by a REAL gun, shock horror all the man power to stop replicas coming in to the country have just ignored all the easten block weapons coming in and going straight into the hands of criminals...(sorry again for the rant)

cos lets face it, if a criminal wants a gun why buy a replica when for a few hundred pounds you can have a real one (I live in the east end of London I know a few people who go out "packin" just because they can...scary huh?)

when will the govenment learn that maybe if they start putting money into schools (instead of false wars) and teaching kids a little respect and punishing bad parents for the things their kids do, nothing will change and in fact it will get worse...

if you have read all that thanks i feel better for getting that off my chest.

Dan

Im in scotland too - I`m moving to Torronto for a couple years and then Japan...back to UK for a couple months per year.

I'm only aware of two types of people that specifically move to Canada

1) Airforce
2) Fugitives

So which are you? ;)

Since our court system can't deal with juveniles I'm all for teaching them respect by having the authorities kick the snot out of them.

Good points all. So, we all agree that the ban on the importation imitation/replica firearms is insane at best... Cool.

Without wishing to side-track the discussion though, why is it not possible to ban guns in the US? Yes, I know it's enshrined in the Constitution but some States are gun-free; why not all of them?

Yours,

Puzzled. :)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back