Tyrell could have outwitted Batty

Could use a big ol' spoiler warning in the title.

I'll give ya that the movie's been out for a million years and parts of it have been debated to death... but, an plot point like this really should have a less spoiler-ific title (and one that actually mentions the name of the movie involved).

Are you actually serious here or just mocking all the spoiler crowds?

Because there's nothing spoilerish about the movie 30 years after it came out.

Blade Runner opening - The NEXUS 6 Replicants were superior in strength and agility, and at least equal in intelligence, to the genetic engineers who created them.

I got the impression, as others have stated here, that Tyrell was so entrenched in the intellectual realm that is really didn't occur to him to fear Batty until it was too late.

I love that Tyrell shows surprise when Batty first appears. Then he relaxes at they talk. He seemed genuinely happy to see one of his creations in person and outside of the factory. Tyrell becomes a bit apprehensive as Batty takes his head to kiss him and then fear and horror as Tyrell realizes it is too late.

To me, Tyrell's arrogance was his downfall. "Blinded by science" if you will.

Ted.

It makes it a much more touching and interesting scene, definitely. But it's also possible he just knew he couldn't get away with the lie and took his chances.

I got the impression, as others have stated here, that Tyrell was so entrenched in the intellectual realm that is really didn't occur to him to fear Batty until it was too late.

I love that Tyrell shows surprise when Batty first appears. Then he relaxes at they talk. He seemed genuinely happy to see one of his creations in person and outside of the factory. Tyrell becomes a bit apprehensive as Batty takes his head to kiss him and then fear and horror as Tyrell realizes it is too late.

Ted.
That's a good summary.

Indeed a great assessment!

Not to jack the thread, but Batty certainly harboured a great deal of hatred for his creator; he just as easily could have twisted/snapped Tyrell's neck killing him instantly. Instead he opts for one of the most brutal/painful ways to kill someone.

Kevin

Tyrell was originally supposed to be something more than a replicant. The BSG writers basically stole the idea and used it for the cylons. He was a clone with downloaded memories, and once the body was killed the consciousness was rebooted in another body. In some drafts of the script, and in some storyboards, Batty finds the clone chamber, and then Tyrell's original body in a pyramid, in statis. Something like that. :)

Also, in this day and age, YES, the comings and goings around Tyrell would be well documented by video. But in 1981/82 that was just not common or much thought about.

Sounds like something similar to the ghola idea from the "Dune" books. Numerous copies of Duncan Idaho had been made over the centuries that the God Emperor ruled. Each time one was created the memories of the man had to be "woken up" within him. Ideas like this always cross polinate throughout literature, of course.

Tyrell was originally supposed to be something more than a replicant. The BSG writers basically stole the idea and used it for the cylons. He was a clone with downloaded memories, and once the body was killed the consciousness was rebooted in another body. In some drafts of the script, and in some storyboards, Batty finds the clone chamber, and then Tyrell's original body in a pyramid, in statis. Something like that. :)

Glad they didn't include that because then he would have been lieing to the Nexus 6 since they had technology to transfer consciousness.

Lots about eyes in BR. Windows to the soul and whatnot. That's why Batty destroyed Tyrell's.

If Tyrell was a genius and since he designed Batty's mind. Then why didn't he put a fail-safe in Batty's mind, to protect himself. After all if you design a soldier(and a smart one at that) you can't assume they will not show up(If one Nexus 6 gets the idea for more life, wouldn't others?).
Nor can you rely on Blade Runners to protect you indefinitely.

What I can't figure out is how come the designers recognized Batty as a Nexus 6. But the cops need a machine and endless questioning to identify the Replicant, but Deckard can spot one in a crowd. I'm sure the line, "Have you ever retired a human by mistake?" was a joke.

I'll give ya that the movie's been out for a million years and parts of it have been debated to death... but, an plot point like this really should have a less spoiler-ific title (and one that actually mentions the name of the movie involved).

troll.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

But the cops need a machine and endless questioning to identify the Replicant, but Deckard can spot one in a crowd.

When does Deckard pick a Replicant out of a crowd without foreknowledge they are indeed a Replicant?

You talking about chasing Zhora through the streets? Kinda hard to miss a tall redheaded half-naked woman who nearly killed you moments before. ;)

He didn't know Rachel was a Replicant until the VK test- and he seemed genuinely surprised to find out; certainly not that he was playing along the whole time.

"Takes one to know one"... So I guess that means J.F. and Chew were replicants too? Is every character in the film a skin job? :rolleyes :lol

Kevin

Ted.

Yes. Otherwise I'm a complete dick for never once in all these years asking myself why Tyrell didn't lie to save his life. Perhaps one is also seduced by the irresistible poetry of the idea: the god who can't conceive that his creation would ever hate him so much as to kill him.

Yes, they have pictures/video of all the replicants. Why is a VK machine needed when the photos are right there? Holden should have known Leon by his photo.

There is always the chance the police were provided those things after Holden VK'd Leon I suppose.

It's not an airtight film. Not perfect. But it's still my favorite movie.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back