Type of foam board

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Prince Valium, Jul 23, 2015.

  1. Prince Valium

    Prince Valium New Member

    Trophy Points:
    I have no idea where questions are supposed to be posted.. trying here. Move if necessary

    I have recently come across a way of making props/costume armour I want to try out. The pvc foam board method shaped with a heat gun. Im not entirely sure what type of board is best to use for this though so Im asking to make sure I use the right thing.

    Im wanting to make Loki armour using this method as it looks pretty simple. Never made my own before as I didnt know how. I found this tutorial which is where I saw the method: http://khaoskostumes.com/2013/06/14/how-to-make-a-loki-costume-part-5-leg-scales/

    Pretty much everywhere just says 'pvc foam board' and thats it, there are different types and I have no idea which is right. Im not in the US and 'sintra' doesnt exist here, at least not under that name. Cant get Worbla here either, one site sells it but commonly out of stock and a bit more expensive. I want to try this route

    I dont know if it should be the foam core stuff that is like spongy foam in the middle between 2 laminated boards, or the closed-cell type that states as being rigid and compressed. Looking for pvc foamboard on ebay produces mixed results of the 2, some of which not stating what it actually is so Im really not sure what Im supposed to get. Never used it before so Im not sure what Im really looking for. I bought a test piece off ebay and it turned out to be the sponge foam with laminated boards type, if you bend it it leaves a bend line on the board. Not sure if this is the right kind or it should be the other kind for this

    This is what I got in 3mm: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201163241...49&var=500342740321&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

    I got a piece of this in 1mm which is just a rigid piece with no foam in the middle: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300699004...49&var=600042358598&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

    Or theres this type listed as being rigid compressed: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blank-PVC...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2ec00784de

    Should it be the 'foamex' stuff used for this purpose - rigid compressed type? The one I got seems to be what would be referred to as 'foam core' rather than pvc foam board? The more I try find info on what to use for this specific purpose the more Im unsure as they dont state what it is they're using beyond saying 'foam board' which can come under either when I search for it to buy. Thinking it might be the compressed type rather than the sponge laminated type I got but Im not certain so want to check from those who know what the right thing is to use for this purpose
  2. blue2k

    blue2k Well-Known Member

    Trophy Points:
    Foamex 2mm would work fine for this. You can also get it in 1mm but it is solid plastic (no foam sandwich).

Share This Page