Type-15 Shuttlepod from Star Trek TNG

Looks to be a cool project. But does the design remind anyone else of those cardboard vehicles that you used to be able to order from the back of a comic book? The Tank, the Rocketship and the famous Submarine.

David.

I had that submarine! My Dad ordered it from the back of an unknown magazine. It was basically several painted cardboard boxes taped together and had a REAL periscope (two mirrors in a cardboard box/tube) and REAL torpedo launchers (plastic torpedoes sent flying out of a cardboard tube via a big rubber band). It was AWESOME! (At the time....)

This is the best composite I have for the overall layout of the LCARS panels. (my apologies to Patrick Stewart). I'm only interested in the port and starboard panels. I am striving for the El-Baz configuration from its premiere in the episode Time Squared. The central monitor was only used for the shuttlepod Voltaire in the episode In Theory.

jjk2wXW.jpg

Technically in Time Squared there is no footage of the illuminated LCARS panels. It is possible (but unlikely) that due to time and budget constraints they just used plain black acrylic panels for the filming.

0Rzp8hX.jpg

BITBvgH.jpg

However with the exception of the central monitor for In Theory, the appearance of the LCARS displays have been consistent, as seen in Ensigns of Command, The Minds Eye, The Most Toys and Devils Due, so that's what I am striving to recreate.

lF99mry.jpg

mGvQ93v.jpg

JVot34m.jpg

H0CJgDI.jpg

There is also an LCARS panel in the center of the upper aft bulkhead best seen in The Price and The Minds Eye.

sC63yEd.jpg

UzlfVaS.jpg

There are also two illuminated panels in the midsection of the aft bulkhead, but these represent isolinear optical chips and will be addressed separately.

There is one additional LCARS panel on the port side over the control panel, but it was only seen once in the episode The Price and plainly absent in all other views of this area.

LtkLUZ6.jpg

This panel appears to be a common one they stuck on just about everything. This looks like the same panel used in the aft compartment in the episode The Minds Eye.

bOiPEX6.jpg

I choose not to include it in the cockpit.

I will follow up with more details on each individual panel.

Attachments

• mvnvyg.jpg
    mvnvyg.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
I've designated the panel on the port side as the navigation panel, since all of the controls I have found were on the bridge navigation panel

c4ZpKyr.jpg

WapNvTC.jpg

The navigation panel is divided into three sections. Toward the right are the navigational reference controls.Comparing the screen captures with the panel from the bridge I derived the following pattern. The following diagrams show the source locations on the bridge navigation console and a cut and paste representation of the locations in the shuttlepod.

vkmdaOp.jpg

TQHr6bc.jpg

I had to guess at number 23.

To the left are the course selection controls.

ty6Bvj8.jpg

cQnbj53.jpg

The center section is a navigational reference display that was re-scaled from a shuttle display the earlier episode Unnatural Selection. It is a static display with no animations, which makes it a lot easier.

R4XBtX2.jpgHaapVWL.jpg

WNUyHbW.gifIjZCAMj.jpg

Last edited:
I've designated the panel on the starboard side as the operations panel, since most of the controls I have found were on the bridge operations panel. There were some taken from the bridge navigation panel.

mC1FOHm.jpg

Sggfugz.jpg

While I can identify the location and colors of the command buttons, I could not identify all the marking as there are no close ups of the right side of the panel.

Last edited:
Wow! Fantastic detective work, there. That really helps to figure out what details to put on which of the control panels.

Just an observation, but regarding the LCARS panel on the rear wall, looks to me like it's about the same size as the Holodeck LCARS panel.

Just an observation, but regarding the LCARS panel on the rear wall, looks to me like it's about the same size as the Holodeck LCARS panel.

Yes, there are variations in the colors, there is a variation two of the buttons and the main label appears to be ENGINE STATUS, but otherwise I believe it is identical.

Can you tell me which episode this screen capture came from?

kEXLT49.jpg

Last edited:
I tried finding that screencap on my hard drive, but for the life of me couldn't locate it. I don't recall which episode that's from. Sorry :(

I tried finding that screencap on my hard drive, but for the life of me couldn't locate it. I don't recall which episode that's from. Sorry :(

Thanks for looking. I would like to get the HD image and try to get some of the finer details.

Aside from the text you inserted, how accurate are the LCARS labels on your prop? Do you know of any other source (tech manual etc...) that may have this?

Edit: I found the source of the screen cap.The Outrageous Okona.

Last edited:
I found some common elements in the LCARS panel in the center of the upper aft bulkhead as seen in The Price and The Minds Eye with the Engineering station in the aft of the bridge.

UzlfVaS.jpg

sC63yEd.jpg

This scan is from the Star Trek the Next Generation Technical Manual. Unfortunately the image in the manual was not as large as the nav and ops panels. The labels are not 100% legible. Unless I can find additional information I will have to guess.

Some cut and paste below to show where the elements were used.

WnGAEr3.jpg

This would make sense since the panel in the shuttlepod is labeled "ENGINE STATUS".

Last edited:
Thanks for looking. I would like to get the HD image and try to get some of the finer details.

Aside from the text you inserted, how accurate are the LCARS labels on your prop? Do you know of any other source (tech manual etc...) that may have this?

Edit: I found the source of the screen cap.The Outrageous Okona.

I didn't actually design the Holodeck LCARS in my collection. It was done up by someone else, which I bought on eBay from that seller some time ago.

The layout is spot on, though aside from the name abbreviations of the production staff on the far-right buttons, randomized number sequences were used for the rest.

I imagine that's likely due to the indistinct nature of the finer details on the panel in most screencaps.

What with the information you're posting here, I think it would be far easier now to accurately detail the buttons with the proper name abbreviations all throughout.

FYI, as a size reference my Holodeck LCARS panel measures 10" wide by 8.25" tall.

A very cool and ambitious project.
Having made models and props for so long I look at the pod and think one thing. All the flat surfaces that make up the outside are to save money and time since plywood, formica, and other materials like that come in sheets. You never saw the type 7 shuttle in full size since they didn't want to pay for all the trouble it would take to make all those curves.

Edit: I made a quick search and saw this.
shuttle.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, I am posting holodeck graphic from production used sheet so all the number, text on the buttons and sizes of the shapes are correct, I am also post one of my graphics that used the correct colors from the show.

StarTrekReference-com-Holodeck.png
CaseGraphicsMockupFinal.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back