TWOK Uniform Guide

Fetts.Sobriquet

startrekuniformguide.com is gone. I'm planning a TWOK uniform but I don't know what all the pins on the left arm, the bands, and exact nature of the pins on the shoulder strap mean. Is there a reference guide? Can anyone point me to a breakdown somewhere. I looked for this and all I can find are references to the online game or other dead websites. I was hoping this information had been consolidated somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Any help is appreciated.

Looks like the pins on the white part of the left sleeve are 3 year service pins. Not sure what pattern they go in. The rank insignia is on the strap along with the locking mechanism. It would still be nice to find a definitive guide to all of it.

Compiled from Spike's old Star Trek Reference page. Really accurate. http://www.st-spike.org/index.html

And of course you're going to need all of the help and info you can find so check out the StarFleet 1701st uniform Club for assistance. http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/

Commendationsandmarkers.png

TWOKRankChart.png

For a breakdown of the division colors worn on the undershirts, the shoulder straps and the armband (and the multiple combinations available for wearing the colors on the arm and shoulder) check this out... http://www.st-spike.org/pages/uniforms/2278-2350/divisions.htm

As for the officer's chest insignia, ranks, clasp, beltbuckle, and pips &squeeks, they can all be purchased from Roddenberry.com made by the manufacturer of the originals for the film productions. Check out... http://www.roddenberry.com/wardrobe/pins
TWOKRankInsigniasBucklesandpipsandsqueeks.png

John

p.s. You know that we've had more trouble over the years trying to find the right (or even close enough) fabric than you can know. Between fabric issues, construction, procurement of the proper accoutrements...and the fact that I can't sew (and no one in my town could even get the blind stich on my TOS tunic right!), for all of these reasons I'm content to wait on Anovos for my TWOK uniform. And my BOMBER JACKET after that, right Joe??!?! -J

Last edited:
Beat me to it. :)

It would help if you could tell us what rank you plan to be?

The WOK uniform is easily my favourite, and the most romantic of all the Trek uniforms.

I have a custom made Monster Maroon that I had commissoned in 1995.

It was originally a captain's uniform, however last year I upgraded it to an accurate Kirk admiral uniform.

The pins you are looking for have some variations in accuracy. For instance there is a commom mistake that the rank pin on the shoulder strap is supposed to be bigger than the rank pin on the left sleeve. This is incorrect, the rank pins were both one size in the film. You want the "smaller" sized one.

The Starfleet chest badge- there is a common "idealized" badge out there that is gold and silver:

29eb_1.jpg

Again this is inaccurate.

roddenberry.com sells the most accurate chest badge however it isn't cheap.

There is a less expensive but fairly accurate badge out there that you might find on ebay:

Insignia201-1.jpg

Hope this helps!

Kevin

It would help if you could tell us what rank you plan to be?

The WOK uniform is easily my favourite, and the most romantic of all the Trek uniforms.

Kevin

Good Call!
Yup, let us know a couple of things...what rank, what division (Command, Sciences, etc...), how long have you been commisioned?
That sort of thing would help, and would also determine things like the stripe on your pant leg, and if you need gold piping on the flap of your jacket, or an Admrial's braid between your rank and armband on the sleeve of your jacket.

And as for the second thought above, about the look of that uniform...I couldn't agree more, but I as I've gotten older I have also gained a new affection for the TOS uniforms. I love them both.

John

Last edited:
WOW! Thanks guys! Your expertise is very much appreciated. I'm planning on doing a commander rank, command division, commissioned for ~15 years.

So, i guess that's a white Arm band, shoulder strap, and turtleneck. Looks like a red stripe on the pant as well.
As for the arm band, I guess that would be a 10 year service pin, maybe two or three commendation pins and a five year service pin? In that order?

By the way, now that you pointed it out, I'm seeing the two different size rank insignia everywhere!
Never noticed that before, now it's impossible not to.

Any idea when Anovos will do TWOK and around how much? I was considering doing the best I could and put one together for now and buy an Anovos when it becomes available.

Last edited:
As for the arm band, I guess that would be a 10 year service pin, maybe two or three commendation pins and a five year service pin? In that order?

Sounds about right. With the original uniforms (Kirk, Spock etc), I don't know if there was much rhyme or reason to the order of pins on the service band.

Any idea when Anovos will to TWOK and around how much? I was considering doing the best I could and put one together for now and buy an Anovos when it becomes available.

I have no clue. But I would imagine it to be several hundred dollars (at least $500 would be a very low-ball estimate).

To give you some idea, I spent $850 back in 1995 to have a tunic, undershirt and red stripe added to a set of dress pants custom made for me.

This didn't include the cost of accurate boots, the belt and all the pins. From head to toe my uniform probably cost $1100.

I was made of money back then. :lol

Couldn't afford it today if I tried. :cry

Kevin

Is the shoulder strap lock supposed to be silver or gold for command? Are they all silver? Some I see on people's replica costumes are gold, others are silver.

As for the two diffrent size rank insignia just look at the sizes of insignia at Rodd's. Those are correct.
For instance, most people always thought that there were two diffrent sizes of the Captain's rank pin. Large for the shoulder, small for the sleeve, when in fact there was only ever one size, small for both.

As for how much Anovos' TWOKs might cost...I don't really know, but I would hazzard a guess that they would run around a grand for jacket, shirt, and pants. And if its below that price, that's a gift and every Star Trek fan should by two on general principle. Of course that wouldn't include me because I can't afford that (not with a kid coming anyway), but you see what I mean. :)

John

Is the shoulder strap lock supposed to be silver or gold for command? Are they all silver? Some I see on people's replica costumes are gold, others are silver.

They are all silver.

My replica has a gold turn clasp- only because it was all I could find for it back then.

Oh and Ash's estimate of a grand for the whole shebang sounds about right- my mention of $500 would have been for the jacket only.

Kevin

Yup, Kevin's right, all locks were silver.

You know what's going to be fun?
The can of worms opened when we get around to telling you about the security device on the jacket. The diffrent versions there were, the poorly sized inaccurate ones, and what they really were. For now though, it's dinner time.
Later,
John

Model tank wheel hub things!

Cool thanks! I'm buying a used jacket from someone and it has a gold clasp. I'll replace it with the silver one on rodd.com. This jacket will have to get me by until Anovos does a TWOK uniform. Which, hopefully they will one day. I guess they don't have any officially announce plans to do it. Either way I'm squirreling away a few bucks here and there to get one when they do.

Again, I thank all of you guys for your expert knowledge and for sharing it!

Yup...tank wheel hubs.
The lead actors used this one.
4d_1.jpg

But there were others...this picture comes form the afore mentioned 1701st.
ae72576692d178b48c0095c9b4970c5bb211664.png

John

Oh, and from just hanging around all of the Star Trek costuming boards I can tell you that while there hasn't been an official announcment reguarding Anovos' Monster Maroons...bet on it. They're coming everybody. My bet? Look for an announcment in the bottom end of the year. :D

John

Oh, and from just hanging around all of the Star Trek costuming boards I can tell you that while there hasn't been an official announcment reguarding Anovos' Monster Maroons...bet on it. They're coming everybody. My bet? Look for an announcment in the bottom end of the year. :D

John

Heck yea! Best news I've read all day! (sorry Egypt)

All great stuff-
In anticipation of the ANOVOS Monster does anybody have a greeblie guide for an accurate Admiral Kirk? Sources (Rodd.comm notwithstanding) would be great too-
Fantastic this is happening and about time too...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back