Two New Thor Mjölnir Replica Hammers

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by rocket20, Jun 3, 2015.

1. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

One from Cattoys, and the other from King Arts.

Anyone pondering either one of these? If so, which one and why?

The Cattoys has a metal head, but the handle is painted and the strap is leather (much like the Lager Toys). The King Arts' head is alloy or diecast, but the handle is leather as well as the strap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

superyesway likes this.
  2. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are you specifically looking for a licensed piece? If not, go with Pannaus Props. Cold cast aluminum, real leather. Supporting one of our own.

3. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

Where is a link? Any pics of their work?

4. Kevin Gossett

He's a member here. Pannaus Props

Here's mine just after assembling, without final polishing or weathering

20140605_232603_zpsa5bo776d.jpg

And the shine I was able to achieve

20150525_032321_zps9yvndbec.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    superyesway likes this.
  5. kursosawa

kursosawa Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone know what the encap on the cattoys mjolnir is made from?

6. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

7. Atlante313

Atlante313 Active Member

8. Johnnyfl

Johnnyfl Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The entire Hammer, head and handle is made of zinc alloy, I got one recently and it is very nicely crafted and ships in a well padded wooden box. It is quite heavy and "remarkably well balanced". I also have the Museum Replicas hammer and this one is nicer. Go for it!

9. Johnnyfl

Hi, You can pick up the Cattoys hammer for about $260 shipped I have no idea how much the King Arts hammer is but it is probably twice that and if you have any problems with it no one at King Arts will reply to your emails, had this problem with my Loki scepter which arrived with damage to the gem and their response was ship it back to Hong Kong and they will re-glue it back on, yes I'm going to do that alright!!

10. Pannaus Props

Pannaus Props Sr Member

Weigh varies from about 5 to 12 pounds.
    Handle is genuine leather as the strap is.

Pm for anything else.

11. bluecoyote

bluecoyote Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looking to get one of these too...Might grab a Cattoys version..

12. Kevin Gossett

In addition to what Fulvio already said, it's cold cast aluminum resin.

13. saberlover

saberlover Well-Known Member

Saving my pennies for one! They look the best, and I prefer the work of a true artist......that's what this place used to be all about!

Kevin Gossett and Pannaus Props like this.
  14. Pannaus Props

Pannaus Props Sr Member

Thanks man, honored to read these words!

15. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

I'm all for supporting the "local artist" and I'm sure the quality would be good, but what if I ever decided to resell? Do these keep their value like say a Museum Replicas or Efx does?

Why are these not on ebay?

16. Kevin Gossett

A. Fulvio/Pannaus Props doesn't sell on ebay
    B. These aren't mass produced, so it's not like there's hundreds or thousands out there.

17. bluecoyote

bluecoyote Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

After comparing.....I think Pannaus's version blows the Cattoys version out of the water...Superior product...Beautiful work..The finished version is amazing....Of course that's only my opinion..Plus ...You buy something because you love it, not for what it may be worth later....at least that's how I see it....

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  18. Johnnyfl

I gave my opinion based on the fact that I have both the Museum Replicas version and the Cattoys version and the fact that I am very particular about the quality of what I put in my collection. I am sure the Pannaus's version is excellent and fully support the work of artists on the RPF, but I only have the photos here to compare against the actual hammer I have. I don't see how it is possible to make such a catagoric distinction based purely on photographs, but by all means go with your heart after all that is what loving something is all about ;).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  19. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

Do you have the efx version? I'm wondering how the cattoys compares with it? I'm thinking it's probably about the same as the lager toys, only with a metal head.

Is that about right?

20. Johnnyfl

Hi, I don't have the EFX hammer as to be honest I wanted a metal one rather than a resin hammer. That is why I initially bought the Museum Replicas hammer. I have also not seen the Lager Toys one in person so cannot comment on that but I can confirm that the Cattoys Hammer has a metal head and metal handle, in fact the only part that is not metal is the leather strap. I know that some have mentioned that the handle is just painted but it would be quite easy to make a small template for the leather parts and then just cut them out of a piece of soft leather and glue them to the handle. I will probably do this. I am not trying to advocate one version of hammer over another as without seeing them all together in person it is really difficult to judge, all I am saying is I am a bit of a perfectionist and I took a chance with the Cattoys version and was very happy with what I received. I hope this helps.

21. Dams1304

Dams1304 Jr Member

I was speaking about this on this tread the other day.
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=203010&page=9&p=3658472#post3658472
    And my conclusion was that Cattoys make an acceptable work for an honest price.
    But If I don't think about money, maybe I choose an artist hammer.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    thuth likes this.
  22. Johnnyfl

I had not seen the other thread but I just added some photos to it of the Cattoys hammer. Yes I think for the price it is a good replica. I got mine for what I thought was a bargain of $230 shipped to the UK. It did come with a number of minor surface scratches on the head but to be honest that doesn't bother me a) because it adds to a slight battle worn effect to the hammer and b) if I get fed up with them I can just rub them out with a scouring pad and still have a nice metal finish. Its not absolutely perfect but very few things are. Anyway I hope these comments help.

23. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

Thanks for all the info! One last thing, is the handle butt made out of metal also, or is it plastic?

24. Johnnyfl

Hi, the handle butt is also made of metal.

25. superyesway

superyesway New Member

Are these good for cosplay and comic cons?

26. Johnnyfl

To be honest the metal Cattoys hammer will probably be too heavy for cosplay or cons, it could even be banned from cons as it could make a very useful weapon if need be, so you would probably be better off with one of the similar plastic or resin versions out there. Hope this helps

27. Shay75

Shay75 New Member

I can't pm you - can you pm me please with details? Thank you

28. Johnnyfl

Who is your comment aimed at and what details are you looking for?

29. Shay75

Shay75 New Member

Hi there,
    Apologies for being vague!
    I have, in the mean time, sourced and had delivered the Cat Toys metal Mjolnir which I am very happy with. Thanks to all on here that spoke about their views on the various replicas which helped me make up my mind.

Could I ask anyone who has a replica Mjolnir and has mounted it on the wall, how did they do it? I would prefer not to attach it to a piece of board. My hope would be to have the hammer mounted with as little or invisible fittings, the hammer at the top, leaning slightly to the left.

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)