Twin X-Wing

JCalhoun

Picked up a couple of Bandai X-Wing kits to create my Twin X-Wing.

IMG_2764.jpg

joberg

Legendary Member
I both love it...and hate it... :cool: ....I'm guessing one guy flies the X Wing and the other...makes coffee.....:lol::lol:
Same here; good idea...but I would've built it with only 2 engines in the middle, not four. (my preference, of course);)

JCalhoun

I think I agree — that two engines in the middle might be preferable to my four — visually. I wouldn't want the two fuselages too close to one another though (for visual reasons, again). The four engine cluster was much easier to "kit bash" though.

If someone has a couple X-Wing kits sitting around maybe they can do a twin with just the two engines in the middle. And probably they can make it nicer than I did.

I sort of dislike these small Bandai kits. The smaller scale is kind of a drag (as I am getting older) and while they are cleverly designed and very detailed parts, 1) I like to test-fit parts but their snap-together tolerances make that difficult to un-do (and so I resisted test-fitting and it lead to some mistakes made), and 2) I forget sometimes whether I'm building Bandai or Lego ;).

I considered that a second pilot could of course have been flying while the other targeting the Death Star vent. I also considered that perhaps the Twin X-Wing existed before droid co-pilots were a thing — perhaps I could have replaced the droids behind each pilot with a turret-gun. But I didn't want to wander too far off of canon.

JCalhoun

Great ship. I like the quad engines. It means that sucker is FAST. Like the blockade runner.
Thanks. It's kind of dumb, but when I considered going with just a pair of engines in the center, I saw that it was a net loss of engines. While the Twin X-Wing has a quad of wings it no longer has to push through space, it still seemed like it would be underpowered compared to a standard X-Wing.

Perhaps that's okay though, perhaps a 6-engine Twin X-Wing is for recon ... or "bombing" runs.

pengbuzz

Sr Member
Thanks. It's kind of dumb, but when I considered going with just a pair of engines in the center, I saw that it was a net loss of engines. While the Twin X-Wing has a quad of wings it no longer has to push through space, it still seemed like it would be underpowered compared to a standard X-Wing.

Perhaps that's okay though, perhaps a 6-engine Twin X-Wing is for recon ... or "bombing" runs.
I like your project! It's something I'd never seen nor even thought of before! :D

JCalhoun

Yeah, when I thought of it I assumed someone had already done it (thanks to the internet, that old adage, nothing new under the sun, has been proven again and again). But when I tried to Google something like "twin x-wing" or "dual x-wing" nothing came up. So I bought two kits and went for it.

I'm glad you like it. Honestly, I'd like to see someone do a better one. :)
Since I like larger scales, perhaps if they re-release the larger AMT X-Wing kit (that I grew up with) I will revise this — maybe try just six engines in total.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.