Twin pod Cloud car.

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by ralphee, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Well, between PD arms, i just HAD to get a breather, and start this thing. Its the Timeslip/Coinprop kit.

This is actually the second time im putting all this together, as my first Timeslip casting wasnt curing, and primer would kinda go touch dry, but then leech into putty, rather horrible as it goes...nothing like doing it twice eh :rolleyes?

Anyhoo, gladly, no such problems as yet here, so i decided to dive in, throw it together for test fitting, and, grind out those gun apertures that are about half the size of the correct Brabham kit parts.

Still a LOT to do here, this is all still very rough, next up is a lighting system, then, i can get to a full clean up.

Other than the gun mods, itll be built OOB.

bests......lee
    [​IMG]

Corrected WIP gun apertures.
    [​IMG]

Ahhh, it fits, woohooo!
    [​IMG]

2. Burnsy

Burnsy New Member

I like.

Looking good.

3. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good, Lee. Btw, where are you hiding that Snowspeeder?

4. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Heyyyy Allan :), thanks buddy, love the avatar! Ah the snowspeeder is next on my list, shes built, primed, just awaiting all the little bits, and of course an ILM savvy cockpit now we have pilots!

Lee

5. imaginager

You got yours, good to hear. They do look very nice. One of our better ideas, eh? LOL

6. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Can't wait to see more! What are you planing top use for the engine lights? Didn't the original use some sort of tiny neon tube or something similar!?

Cheers,

Steve.

7. jkno

jkno Master Member

Always liked the shoe appearance of these pods. Great job so far!! :thumbsup

8. atom

atom Active Member

Hi! ralphee!

I look forward to watching your progress.:)

The guns made by brass tube are cool.:thumbsup

9. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Aw MAN!!! Now I canĀ“t admire the beauty of that design anymore, and before your post it was my fave SW ship... :behave

10. tk1608

tk1608 Sr Member

Hey Lee, whats that ATAT box in the background ?

Phil

11. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

need more pics of this so i can Face Book Ya .............. lol

12. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Steve, yes i think it was a Neon of festoon set up in the prop, think ill just be going with acrylic tube and LED's as the testing worked out OK.

Phil, the ATAT box is just a accurizing parts kit for the Revell, i intend to tide myself over with the task of building an articulate walker that will look half decent, till an SS one becomes a reality :).

Simon, more pics will come soon buddy, sadly i dont have a FB, im one of the odd ones who STILL wont conform or assimilate, come on CAFE WORLD????:lol.

Think my Dad had some shoes like this once :lol.

lee

13. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I always thought the engine was a halogen bulb, which if you use it would probably set the model on fire in about a minute! :)

It's unfortunate that they don't make slightly shorter cold cathode tubes. That would work perfectly in its place.

14. imaginager

15. Scott Graham

Fluorescents then eh? I'm having an interesting time looking up "mini tubes" on google. Is there an easy kit form of them out there for simpletons (like me)?

16. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Lee,

Cant wait to see what youll do with her paint wise. Please post details like you did with the probe droid. Know that there are paint samples shown on the new blue ray discs that were used on the cloud car.

I dont know what came with the kit but are you going to substitute original kit parts for the details?

Marvin

17. imaginager

Don't mean to pollute Lee's thread, but the 2" with driver are what I used:

Flourescents

18. Scott Graham

Wow, that's perfect. Thanks for sharing that. Hopefully Lee can use them too. Sorry for the hijack Lee.

19. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Lee I shoved two 5mm super bright Led's on each end
    of the tube and that's what i ended up with. I did have to frost the
    tubes by wet sanding them though. This was in the daylight as well
    good luck.....I hated building this thing! LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Pollute away guys lol, Allan i was tempted on the tubes, but i think i may go with the LED's.

Michael, thats about bang on to what i want to do buddy, tired a lightly frosted tube, worked well in rough, need to do a fancy Dan dressed up one like yours lol.

Marvin, well no, no more kit parts, what i have is cast great, and the correct calipers come with the kit anyway as i ID's them all that time ago, so it would be a waste, as i said, from here itll be OOB with a kick * paint job.

Michael, meant to say, PM me agin on the rest of the Y wing dims you need, in light of all the bollocks from some ****** forcing me to change ALL my passwords everywhere, which TBH is a MAJOR PITA, i kinda got lost, and may have deleted your old PM bro.

bests.......lee

21. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

No problem Lee will do.:thumbsup

22. jawsmodels

jawsmodels Well-Known Member

I know this is going to be a dumb question but what is that kit Ralphee?

23. seven

seven Sr Member

...of the twin pod clould car

Lookin' forward to seeing more updates on this project :)

24. jawsmodels

jawsmodels Well-Known Member

Ralphee sorry to budge in with these questions but is this an OOP Kit as I checked the site & see no kit of this.
    Or does 'coin drop kit' mean it was a limited run :confused
    Guess i still have a lot to learn....

25. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Jase, its by Timeslip models, at least, this casting. The hulls are still from Tobe's (Coinprop by username) pattern.
    I think you can still buy them, check with Timeslip buddy.

bests.......lee

26. timeslip

timeslip Well-Known Member

I still make the CC on order. All of the parts are either modified or new patterns.
    George

27. eimb1999

eimb1999 Well-Known Member

Nice job. Built two of these kits myself, one for a friend one for me. It's a nice big size, although accuracy is wanting... the pods themselves are at least 1" too wide or more, but I didn't notice that until I actually got the kit and compared it to photos. My favourite part are the two pilot figures which look great! Note that the original was painted quite a bright orange though, almost like a pumpkin with a bit more red, not the subdued tan-orange most people paint the thing.

28. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Correct, Coinprop's hulls are too wide/deep. That was noticed a good while back when Allan Hansen built his and made new pattern for the rear stand off plating.

Still cuts a nice shape though lol, even if it has piled on a few pounds, may be porky, but i still love it lol.

The orange is a tough one, Chronicles does show the bottles used, looks to be Floquil, closest to me eye is still Reefer, but in the end, yes it should be very vibrant, not a subdued hue at all....Pumpkin really sums it up.

lee

29. eimb1999

eimb1999 Well-Known Member

Here's one of the two I built...

The colour I used was from a rattlecan by an obscure manufacturer (Canadian company but made in the USA!) of an orange colour they call Chevrolet Orange that is about halfway between Floquil CN Orange #11 and Model Master Acryl Chevy Engine Red#4629 Those last two colours were also used for tinting some of the panelling, but it's done subtly and can be seen in real life. It doesn't show up well in these pictures. I wanted the display model to be slightly more subtle than the filming miniature since the original model's paneling is necessarily more garish for film.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  30. Tsophika

Tsophika Well-Known Member

Size issues aside, that's a really nice looking kit!