TVAHunterC83

Greetings RPF,

I'm Chuck and I put together a TVA Hunter from the Disney+ Series, Loki and is heavily based on B-15's setup. I've been costuming for about three years now and recently learned how to sew, and decided that a hunter would be a simple enough challenge with what soft parts it had. Additionally, I've been 3D printing and prepping prints for paint for a while, so this build seemed pretty easy to accomplish. This build came to be because after watching the Loki series, the comment was made "Anyone can wear a pair of horns and call themselves a Loki", thus we concluded that Comic Cons would now be crawling with Lokis and so we set off to build a TVA Hunter so we could prune them all from the timeline.

After a successful convention, my friends and I casually joked about making a TVA Central California Branch (a little play on word for the branching of the Sacred Timeline) and well, we ended up sort of recruiting and now I'm trying to help others build their TVA Hunter so we can protect the timeline. I had created a spreadsheet and documented quite a bit of my build and posting to the RPF seemed like a good thing to drum up some interest. So... welcome to my thread and I hope you find the read enjoyable and the information helpful.

I've built this costume on my own accord just using screen shots from the series and if I couldn't find what I needed, I searched Etsy and/or made my own accessories. Very quickly, here's the finished costume at SiliCon with Adam Savage 2021:

6RQiIfwl.jpg

I'll go ahead and link my references and items below since the links in the images won't be clickable once we get to that image. I'm actually quite interested in "found parts" if any of you are able to identify them and I am most interested in what the fabric is for the Minutemen's two toned uniform if anyone has information. Also, if you don't mind, if you have prop reference images from real life/in person (IE: prop galleries or costume's on set, not from the show itself) I'm would love to see them posted in the comments for future reference. I realize a lot of my stuff isn't as accurate as I'd like it to be, but hey, it's my first attempt. There's always room for upgrades -- and I've already begun upgrading items at the time of this posting.

Happy reading and I hope you find this helpful if you decide to build your own TVA Hunter.

For All Time. Always.
-- Hunter C-83

Last edited:
I2Ak1wG.jpg

A63IORu.jpg

Links here:

UPDATE: 09/18/21 Updated Helmet

Shirt

UPDATE: New Updated Tie
Update 09/18/21:
This tie appears to be unavailable now. Searching "Burnt Orange Tie" will typically reveal a suitable option.
We're also wondering if the tie could be burgundy (see conversation notes in other posts)

Gloves
Pistol Belt
Waist Belt
Pants

Boots
Note: These boots are not screen accurate, but I happened to have them on hand at the time of the build.
Accurate boots do not have zippers on the insides of the boots, but makes dressing the pants and putting boots on easier.
3GOmbz6.jpg

Links here:
Do3D TVA Hunter Files

NOTE: for an easy wood grain hack... cherry vinyl adhesive from amazon: Wood Grain Adhesive
This can be cut to size and wrapped around the baton and cut to fit TemPad surfaces.

mB4fk9a.jpg

Note: For the vest pattern, I simply cut up a t-shirt and modified it (primarily the collar and shoulders) for a pattern.
Brassards, wrist wraps, and knees were Saran wrapped and taped, then cut off to make patterns to my size.

Links here:
Joann Fabrics Duck Canvas
Etsy Patch Maker
NOTE: I have made a small run of PVC patches and are available on my Etsy Store

TSQTyQ0.jpg

Note: For the sake of time, I purchased a bulk of the items from Strap Works despite the buckles needing to be flat, not rounded. Accurate chest armor strapping was found on Etsy with help by TheNickFox

Links here:
1 inch flat nylon tape
3/4 inch flat nylon webbing

Update: 09/18/21 37mm Polyester Strapping
Note: 2inch Scuba webbing was my original selection from Strapworks, however, the 37mm Polyester
from Etsy appears to be closer to screen accuracy.
2 inch scuba webbing

2 inch elastic
2 inch flat metal slides
1 inch rounded metal slides
15mm Black Snaps
Baton Holster
Sling Bag

Last edited:
Thanks for following along if you are. It was a barrage of images and notes because I didn't have a forum to post to until I was directed to the RPF. Now that I have a work in progress thread, I'll be sure to update any changes to the build log, as parts are upgraded. I'll be sure to document them here and I look forward to learning more from the community if anyone has thoughts or images to share to help me further dial in the TVA Hunter costume.

I have a few upgrades coming, one of which is a new TVA logo for the pants. My current logo is a beige and orange iron-on vinyl transfer from a Cricut, and is about 10 inches long. This was a first attempt and after receiving it, just went with it due to time -- but now that version 1 is in the books, I'll be reworking it to be more true to film. I plan to chop up my original pair of pants and attempt to replicate the Minutemen's two toned outfit.

I've started a run of PVC patches to replace the threaded left arm TVA patch. Again, due to time and resources, I just went with what was available. Now that I've got more time, I'll be replacing it with an accurate PVC version seen on screen as well as replace/update my brassards. A sharp eye will see a black border around my TVA emblem and I believe the on screen patch is orange all the way to the edge, so, I'll have to replace that too I suppose.

My poor TemPad... it's just a rough 3D print painted gold with a single piece of plastic that is gloss painted on one side so it appears to be a turned off screen. It just lives on my belt and never comes off, purely decorative but it does the job. I'd really like to make it functional, but I'd want to use that wrist mounted as one of the Minutemen.

I'm also hoping to replace my helmet, or at least repaint it with a 1.5 inch stencil and tighten the grouping of the letters to better represent what is seen on screen. Same as the other items, I was pressed for time and I found a 2 inch stencil set locally. The chin cup could be replaced too. Mine is missing the grooves and I didn't want to bother printing one at the time.

I slapped together a time displacement collar with some piping, faux leather, and belting. It really was a slap-dashed job because I put the collar together wrong... but it was just going to live on the back of my belt and again, good enough. I need a new one anyway and I can add the LED and Warning label, which I'm also missing.

Version 1 did the job. This was my first costume that I've built on my own through printing, painting, sewing, and purchases. I'm sure there are other things I'd like to change that I've not mentioned, but the bulk of the costume is done.

Thanks again for following along.

Love the research you did, providing links for anyone else who also wants to make the costume and excellent work on your own outfit. Well done!

Also, anyone who wants to do this, just know that DO3D is doing 40% all models for Labor Day with code LABOR. It'll save you over $20 on these... just like it just saved me.

...if only there was a code for all the soft parts I just ordered on a whim. Whoops.

While waiting on some parts to come in, I believe I found the font the helmet stencil is based on...or at least one that is VERY similar and should serve as a decent base.

The shape of the 5 and 2 and the thickness of the ends of the C were the keys to trying to narrow this down, take a look:
Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 10.27.39 PM.png

And download it yourself here: Cargo Crate Font | dafont.com

EDIT: In Photoshop I change the text horizontal scale to 130% and it looks nearly perfect.

Last edited:
Just dropping off some notes to this build log.

I've been studying the Minutemen build, referring specifically to the two toned suits, and I've noticed something about the TVA logo that I hadn't really paid much attention to: The hourglass of the TVA is a brighter orange than the rest of the logo. So it should be fluorescent, or standard orange, where the rest is like a "Texas Orange". This is relevant because all the merch I see online, the logos, the everything TVA has the colors reversed. You'll see the hourglass is the dark orange, where the rest is bright, which is, based on this screen shot, incorrect.

Here's a grainy screen shot of the right patch and the leg logo.

sbtxXUBl.jpg

As mentioned, I'm slowly digging around and upgrading parts of the costume and making a Minutemen version is most definitely in the cards. In the links in earlier posts, there is an interview with Christine Wada where she speaks to the colors of the costume. For notes, I've pulled a few screen shots for reference:

yg6vO0al.jpg

YRGQ4aPl.jpg

yQhrgz3l.jpg

So, back to the screen caps of the costumes from Ep. 1... you'll notice the legs and arms are swapped colors.

Bgpp91ul.jpg

Compared to the Disney parks cast members (I've not seen them in person myself, these are from online). The male CM is shown in shade and sunlight (over exposed) and the female CM shows a clear back and front -- which is cool, because the entire front except the collar is black, where the back turns color at the seam. ...basically any break in the fabric can transition color, which allows for complete customizability of the color scheme. Fun. oh, you may also notice they're wearing the calves armor as shin guards, which I'm sure is just a suiting error.

oTM2IVhl.jpg

WxPosCml.jpg

In the excerpts above, I've highlighted "brown", but I've always thought it was a rust color, kinda red/brown. And in this screen shot below, Mobius' suit is brown, and whoever these unarmored guys are, they're my color comparison.

JO6QjXol.jpg

Prp27YZl.jpg

Right? You can waterdrop that color in a photo editor and pull up the color reference.

Storytime: I went to a convention and had a conversation with Riddle, Riki LeCotey, and she had mentioned she worked on specialty parts of the Loki costumes. I inquired about the Minutemen fabric specifically, and while she hadn't worked with the fabric, she was kind enough to offer a clue to the color...

Si98jbml.jpg

So THIS is in line with what I expected. Burgundy is basically a red/brown, akin to rust, and fits the images on screen. In my short time working with fabric, I know camera exposure can shift the fabric color, add color grading for film/tv and you get something kind of in line with burgundy, and not so much brown - as seen with Mobius' suit.

I went to my local fabric shop (Joann Fabric) and went looking for some kind of cotton/polyester blend and found it in Sportswear. I snapped a photo, and sho' nuff' it exposed to the just about the proper color.

MmqRqJJl.jpg

zsjJAg5l.jpg

Is this the right fabric? I don't know, but it's close enough for me. The build is coming soon, just looking for some time to cut patterns and get to work.

Last edited:
View attachment 1493706

Is this the right fabric? I don't know, but it's close enough for me. The build is coming soon, just looking for some time to cut patterns and get to work.
You know I'll be watching this thread for all time...

One thing I've been thinking is that the ties for the Hunters and the accent fabric for the Minutemen looks very similar on screen, but not in promo images where the colors are more blow out. Think it's possible we're dealing with a burgundy and not an orange tie?

Yeah the tie is another thing that as you dig deeper, you start seeing different things.

Firstly, I got an orange tie because I based it off B-15 when I built my first Hunter. I used the Hunter B-15 promo poster for a lot of the detail because it was the highest res image I could find. (The U-92 continuity photo showed up online weeks after I built my kit, and that's where I really noticed the rust colored tie)

Here's the poster image and the daylight screen cap:

2kZ0Ahml.jpg

PWYvEHml.jpg

Real quick side note... I think the 'rank pins' could be 'rank patches' ,or maybe they're rubber... You can see they don't sit flush to the collar and actually lift. I don't think they're hard enamel.

Next up is C-20's tie compared to Minutemen fabric at the Ren Faire. Looks like a color match to me.
C4OUPWel.jpg

I'll just toss in the observation that Minutemen wear black ties... o_O
HimbII9l.jpg

And lastly, my most recent tie from Amazon was upgraded from basic orange. But now with the burgundy color... o_O You can see how easy it is to flip flop with all the references.

iO280iyl.jpg

I can see the tie being burgundy to color match the references above. But then I look at B-15 and think the burnt orange is kind of in line. I can see why so many folks lean towards orange. It was prominent in the series, as is brown and burgundy. To quote the costume designer "...it's a fairly specific color palette...". Even in photos, a lot of the color ranges look about right. Even orange can shift to red/brown with camera exposure and light.

I think the goal is to identify the actual colors used, not just a screen match, but for for the most part all the reference images come from screen. I'm hoping there's going to be a Disney+ costume gallery where I can see the items in person. So if anyone is lucky enough to go to one, please grab me some images!

And on that note, here's a photo from The Collector's window at Disneyland.
bTy3mCZ.png

Last edited:
Another quick detail after I dug a little deeper -- funny how I'm finding this stuff on the minutemen costumes... Vest closure! I wasn't sure how it was closed, but I based my first vest off flak vests/plate carriers. I made mine fold backward where it looks like traditional plate carrier vests pull forward. I'm assuming it closes like this on both sides for a general fit for anyone who wears it. You can scroll up to the Disney Cast Member photo and see the right side closure. Anyway, here's the shot with arrows to mark what I'm talking about.

eezykAcl.jpg
UVn2BYol.jpg

Real quick side note... I think the 'rank pins' could be 'rank patches' ,or maybe they're rubber... You can see they don't sit flush to the collar and actually lift. I don't think they're hard enamel.
I think they're rubber with a central post style pin back.

Reasons for this: They never seem to make a perfect circle, and seem slightly deformed in most images I see. AND you can see they rotate, which means they are a separate piece with some ability to rotate.

It also has an inset center based on the promo image.

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 12.23.42 PM.png

I think the goal is to identify the actual colors used, not just a screen match, but for for the most part all the reference images come from screen. I'm hoping there's going to be a Disney+ costume gallery where I can see the items in person. So if anyone is lucky enough to go to one, please grab me some images!
That would be ideal! I'm hoping Disney continues to feature them at Avengers Campus so we can get more images from meet and greets at least!

Some observations, that may help others (though you've likely already noted these) :

1. The vest appears to be ballistic nylon based on texture and sheen.

2. The shoulder and waist strapping for the armor should be roughly 1.5" (assuming the belt is in fact 2.25" it appears to be) and features a 1.25" flat nylon strap on top of it. It doesn't appear to be sewn down along its length since the two aren't even and the top strap "wanders" along the top.

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 12.23.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 12.22.08 PM.png

A few more quick observations to retract my previous "everything is wrong" statement. It appears there are two types of logos, a TVA employee color and a prisoner color set. The Hunters are a dark orange letters with bright triangles, and the prisoners are bright letters, dark triangles.

ISi3sZxl.jpg

Here's Loki's prison shirt to clarify:

Y0c5dJvl.jpg

Also, upgrades are coming in and the first was a cherry vinyl adhesive from amazon: Wood Grain Adhesive

QkHE41al.jpg

That was a pretty cool effect for very little effort. I used it on the tempad as well. This little trick came from a Ravonna that I met at SiliCon. We all admired her time baton and she explained how it was done. Super clever!

Also, upgrades are coming in and the first was a cherry vinyl adhesive from amazon: Wood Grain Adhesive

View attachment 1494202

That was a pretty cool effect for very little effort. I used it on the tempad as well. This little trick came from a Ravonna that I met at SiliCon. We all admired her time baton and she explained how it was done. Super clever!

This is looking really Fantastic!.. although I'll admit I am a little sad you didn't use my Tempad file ha ha. Great work all around not only on what you are making but how well you are documenting it to help others. Keep it up!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back