Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP FINISHED see Pg9

Atlanthia

Sr Member
Well, as my printer is Kacked, and I cant afford a new one right now, I have had to postpone the Pepakura build of a Stormtrooper Helmet that Fierfek so generously sent me. So.....What to do???

I decided to set myself the challenge of building my 'Bucket' anyway, but from general household crap, such as toilet roll tubes, cereal boxes, newspapers, and on a budget of up to £10 and not a penny more. I have also set myself one week to achieve the finished article, from start to finish and it must be as close to screen accurate as possible but wthin reason considering the budget and time constraints.

Finally, I should point out that this will not include the fiberglass casting and molding - just the the construction of a finished helmet which could be used as a display piece, or from which a mold could be taken.

If anyone thinks this might be of interest, or completely insane!!! lol! then please let me know and I will start posting the build up here.
Thanks everyone, in advance

Last edited:
Re: Stormtrooper Helmet for under £10??

I am definetly interested in what your results would be, so please post your progress with photos!

I'm seriously interested to see how good (or otherwise) this will look. I just thought you could cover it in filler to smooth it out, then realised that that amount of filler costs £9. Good luck!

Ok! Here's the list of ingredients that I will be using:
Three Toilet roll tubes
One Newspaper
Four Cereal Packets
One roll of Sellotape
One tube of Super glue / Crazy glue
One tube of PVA glue (to be diluted 50/50 with water)
5 sheets of white A4 paper
One extemely understanding wife!

So far, this list contains items that I have around the house already. My budget is £10, so I will be spending £6 of it on body filler/Bondo to coat out the finished product. That leaves me £4 for emergencies! lol!
And my time starts..........NOW!!!

First three images are the building of the dome. This involves 1 cereal box, lots of cutting, and loads of sellotape.

160944-gedc0220.jpg

160945-gedc0219.jpg

160946-gedc0217.jpg

Next : 3 layers of papier mache, (I have mixed the PVA glue 50/50 with water, this will go off like rock).

160947-gedc0227.jpg

Last edited:

Setting the dome aside to harden up/dry, I've started construction of the lower structure. As with the dome, I have verified the outline/shape by tracing around an original ANH helmet side and front picture, which I enlarged onscreen and saved to my pictures. The size I have used is 12" x 12" x 12". This is approximate, as accurate dimensions don't seem to exist, or are a closely guarded secret.

6517-gedc0228.jpg

6518-gedc0229.jpg

Dome placed upon the lower structure to verify that they fit together.

6519-gedc0231.jpg

Here, I have started to fit the rear panels to the lower structure. I have also started to cut up and attach the toilet roll tubes to form the lower, front facial structure.

160951-gedc0236.jpg

6521-gedc0240.jpg

Here, I have tentatively cut and placed the eyes; these will require further adjustments as the build progresses, as they are fundamental to the look and overall appearance of the finished project.

160953-gedc0244.jpg

As you can see, I have now inserted all three tubes, and the base for the vocoder. This enables the whole structure to become much more rigid and allows me to take points of reference regarding dimensions, etc.

6523-gedc0254.jpg

Here, the front side panels are installed, which continues the contours from the rear of the helmet. This also will provide the surface on which the lower tubing will be mounted.

6524-gedc0255.jpg

I have joined the dome to the lower structure with papier mache and have also started to form the front features; difficult to make out due to the multi-coloured paper. I have also started to attach the formers for the bell housing, which encircles the lower part of the helmet.

6526-gedc0268.jpg

This front view, although blurry, shows that the front is now taking shape. As you can see, I have cut the frown and the whole build is starting to take shape.

6527-gedc0271.jpg

Bell housing has been coated in papier mache.

6528-gedc0273.jpg

Rear view after coating bell housing in papier mache.

6529-gedc0275.jpg

I have decided at this stage to coat the whole helmet in white paper; the reasons for this are three-fold: firstly, this affords much better definition when taking photos, and secondly, it will allow me to avoid purchasing paint, and thirdly, will show up any imperfections prior to body filler application.

160961-gedc0285.jpg

160962-gedc0284.jpg

Build time so far is 2 days, so that leaves me 5 days to complete this project. I hope you have enjoyed this first installment and I welcome any comments or encouragement you may have. To all Star Wars officionados, I will reiterate that this is a budget project in an EXTREMELY short time frame!!! What I mean by this, is that if the eyes or the dome, or whatever, are not exact, please bear that in mind.
Next installment coming soon......

Last edited:

I'm seriously interested to see how good (or otherwise) this will look. I just thought you could cover it in filler to smooth it out, then realised that that amount of filler costs £9. Good luck!

LOL! That depends where you get your filler! :)
I bought two tubs at £2.99 each as they were end of line stock.....right place at the right time I guess!

Wow, that's pretty impressive for using what amounts to some trash, glue and tape. I definately want to see how the turns out.

I agree with leafman.. It's amazing considering the material used :p
great job! can't wait to see it finished! :)

This is totally awesome! Only using toilet paper rolls and newspaper... I love it!

Plain awesome. Just plain awesome. I´d say change the thread title to "Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP" for future reference :thumbsup

Feckin hell,that's good work,i have enough trouble ,with Boba helms and that's with WOF templates,i may have to give this a go at some point

:eek That's just brilliant! Good to see your using household items and picked up some filler at a knockdown price. Can't wait to see you finish this.

Thank you all for your amazing words encouragement!!! I'm Gobsmacked! lol!

Plain awesome. Just plain awesome. I´d say change the thread title to "Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP" for future reference :thumbsup

Mate, that sounds like a totally brilliant idea, but I wouldn't have a flipping CLUE how to change it! lol!
:cry

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP

Ahem......I seem to have stumbled onto the right bit that lets you change the title! There's hope for the ol' dawg yet! lol!

Holy shamolie! Great work so far, I'm really looking forward to seeing it finished! I wish my prop/costume projects could be done on that sort of budget!

i am loving this. looking forward to it finished. might try yourmethods myself when ur done.

although this is a clever build. I do not see that working out for an accurate costume that would do justice to the name stormtrooper. the only way I have seen to make a somewhat movie accurate costume is through pepakura. However this may be great for a Halloween costume

Hi All! Thank you all again for the support. I am beavering away, gluing bits on here and there and it is slowly coming together! Your interest and supprt REALLY do spur me on, so keep it coming and I will hopefully post today's progress pics on here this evening:)

Last edited:

This is amazing! Love builds like this! Really show the power of a little imagination, and a whole lot of will! Again, LOVE it!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back