Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP FINISHED see Pg9

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Quick Update!

The long part of the ears looks a bit to thin.

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Quick Update!

camping here for more great cheap helmet!

Every update is so impressive. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but this build is too cool to not check out.

camping here for more great cheap helmet!

I hope you have a sleeping bag and some hot coffee!

Every update is so impressive. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but this build is too cool to not check out.

Thank you STEALTH. High praise indeed coming from you. I have been an avid follower of your work and it blows me away. Superb stuff!!!

the circular part of the ear looks a tad big also, still a good job though :thumbsup

the circular part of the ear looks a tad big also, still a good job though :thumbsup

Hi Mate... Yeah, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion, so I'm going to remove them, resize them AND move them a little more forward. Thanks for the pointer as it confirms what I already feared.:unsure

Popped in to check your progress and once again all I have to say is WOW!!!!!!! I would say something like this should go on the RPF Facebook page but the Lucas Hounds might go crazy

once again I'm late to the party........your build is amazing, I love the ingenuity of the members here....Bravo sir, Bravo!!!!

Hi All! Sorry I've not posted an update for a couple of days, but I have been working feverishly on ironing out a few issues with the helmet. As MiDri and geordietrooper rightly pointed out, the ears were out of proportion, so I have taken their comments on board and I decided to scrap them and start again. Boy! Those are some tricky curves when trying to do them without any plans or pattern! I think they will look a lot better now when they are finished.

GEDC0402.jpg

I found a fantastic green plastic Cider bottle in the recycle bin and so I "wogged" it and brought it home and made my lenses out of it! Nice colour green, huh? They're just held in with masking tape to see how they look.

GEDC0403.jpg

I also painted in the "rubber strip" to help me get an over all better impression of likeness to the pics I am referencing. You can also see that I have started work on the frown.

This next pic shows where I have cut up the pods that will house the mic tips. They were too small and too circular, so I have made them slightly more oval, and irregular. I have also started work on the vocoder. Each strip like the centre one that you see installed, is simply three strips of card glued together and sanded to round off the edges. It worked a treat!
GEDC0404.jpg

And here is the finished vocoder, although I am in two minds about the centre strip being slightly higher. On all the original ANH helmets, the vocoders were hand painted on and they vary immensely from one to another. This follows the hemet I am referencing but I think I prefer the centre three bars to be at the same height, so I may tweek it later.

GEDC0407.jpg

So there you have it! Tomorrow I will try to knock the new ears into some kind of state of completion, and finish the frown. I should then be somewhere near starting to paint it up!

GEDC0408.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the new pics of the work I have been doing and I hope to update you again soon!

Last edited:
Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Update Sunday p

This continues to be a totally amazing thread. Superb job, ATLANTHIA.

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Update Sunday p

Man, this is just gettin' betterer and betterer.:thumbsup

Great build and ever better to see it done by someone in my home town! As a new guy here it's very interesting to see builds like this....keep up the work, I'll be watching!!

Hey!!! Yeah I've been lurking but I've been following u since the beginning! Even while on vacation! Oh and to the fellow scout, my troop can't go anymore because we refused to sing. Were military oriented and they hate us haha. Oh and I'm working on a prop Springfield rifle!

Great build and ever better to see it done by someone in my home town! As a new guy here it's very interesting to see builds like this....keep up the work, I'll be watching!!

Hey, Glen! How is Three Milestone these days? We should meet and have a coffee! What do you say?

Hey!!! Yeah I've been lurking but I've been following u since the beginning! Even while on vacation! Oh and to the fellow scout, my troop can't go anymore because we refused to sing. Were military oriented and they hate us haha. Oh and I'm working on a prop Springfield rifle!

Hiya, Champ! That fact that you have been following me, even while on holiday, just blew me away!!! Thanks mate and I promise this will be over by the weekend:)
Lookin forward to more!!!.......!!!!...!!!

I hope so coz here it comes!!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back