I misted it with a little black and dark brown spray paint, then rubbed it all over with steel wool to reveal the real metal underneath the paint. I then finished it off with some red oxide acrylic applied in spots with a brush and then overall with a rough cloth for texture:
The last little piece was this spare cabinet knob I had, which I used as the transition piece between the totokia butt and the metal shaft. I just drilled a 1" hole to match the pipe diameter and painted it to match the staff.
My boys and I are building a couple of Sand People outfits. I wasn't planning on doing a thread, so I didn't take many photos at the start, but we love how it's turning out, so I thought... better late than never.
Firstly, we 3d printed up a set of mask hardware (found these from Thingiverse, I think):
The only thick leather we had for the snout wraps were off cuts from our Red Book of Westmarch (Red Book by Magnoli Props) which is a deep burgundy color. We wanted it more brown, so after a good sanding of the surface, we applied a coat of yellow ocre acrylic wash which turned the burgundy to a nice warm brown tone.
To give the hardware a more metallic look, we sprayed the pieces with some clear gloss than coated it in graphite powder. An old flannel bed sheet, ripped into strips was used with hot glue for the wraps. Lastly, I airbrushed some potassium permanganate onto the fabric to darken all the seams and edges:
Was just watching The Book of Bobba Fett thinking “I need to make a gaffi stick”. Great inspiration. My daughter is wanting to learn to carve so thought we might do a joint project. Thanks for sharing you process.