Trying to mold Buddha head

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Buddha, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Buddha

Buddha New Member

Hello,

I have this 30in high Buddha head and I would like to mold it and create a couple casts out of it. But It's made out of clay and I'm not sure if silicone rubber will be good for molding, because I have a lot of Rebound silicone and I would like to use it for this. I was thinking of using sonite-wax for the release agent, but it doesn't say if it's ok to be used with clay.
    Any help is appreciated.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Buddha

2. Buddha

Buddha New Member

Sorry to bump the thread, but I need a little help with this as this is also an art piece for my midterm exam.

3. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

You could spray it with some clear coat or just hit it with epoxy parafilm, kick your silicone hot and do a brush up. Use some plaster bandages as the jacket and run with it.

4. Mostly Fantasy

Mostly Fantasy Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As long as it's fired, silicone shouldn't be a problem- just use a good separating agent.

5. Buddha

Buddha New Member

So the sonite-wax will be good enough?
    I used it on plastics and works better than spray release agent, but still not sure if it will do the same with the clay.

6. Buddha

Buddha New Member

Well, I went to Walmart and bought a can of Clear-coat and gave two nice coats to the head. Tomorrow I will start waxing it and applying the first coat of silicone.

7. Ozymandius

Ozymandius Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, the silicone shouldn't have a problem with the sonite wax. Used it before myself with no problems.

8. Buddha

Buddha New Member

Thanks, right now I'm waxing the helmet after 3 coats of clear coat.

9. Berserk

Berserk Well-Known Member

is this Budda statue your own work? Cause you seem to be asking how to recast someone else's work otherwise?

10. rensole

rensole Active Member

I use a lot of smooth on products and tbh just a can of release agent and some moldstar (double mold) and smooth cast 300 would do the thrick i think

11. Buddha

Buddha New Member

It's not, but it's just one of those "made in china" mass produced figures. A lot of the little beads on the head were broken so I tried to fixed them with clay and I would like to mold it to have a more solid piece. Then I can use bondo and perfect the overall sculpture, as I also would like to add a couple trinkets and details to it.
    I was looking through my garage and all my materials for my little spray bottle of release agent but could never find it, so I just went with the wax. And I like how the moldstar mold pictures in the smooth-on website are also little Buddha heads too. :)

12. rensole

rensole Active Member

yeah they can be used for pretty much anything ^^ but be sure to make a 2 part mold!!!
    if you make a one piece mold it will become difficult in different ways lol

13. Buddha

Buddha New Member

Yeah, still trying to figure out how I'm going to make it. I don't have enough clay to make the parting line, so someday this week I have to go to Micheals and buy a little box of wet-clay. And some resin for the shell, because the trial kit of Plasti Paste feels that it won't be enough.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  14. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I used oomoo for a mold, and the release agent i used was unflavored cooking spray, it worked great.