Trying to make a bevelled domino mask

IndridColdx

Hey there, I'm looking to make a bevelled domino mask that looks like the following:

I was told that clay would be good, but too heavy and wouldnt stay on my face.
I was told a silicone mold would be fine but ive never done it before and it would be too expensive for such a small mask

What do I do? Here is the mask I want to make (what he wears over the eyes)

Tg7bu01 - Imgur (2).jpg

cool, first time I've seen someone try to take on skull face. If you plan on doing the full head, it would probably better to mold it as one piece, (just follow step 2/3 but for the entire head) however, if you are just looking to make the mask, the process is about the same, just less costly and hence labor intensive. as I see, you have three main options:

1. make it out of leather, or a leather like material. patterns for this exist, and can probably be found if you searched for "Incredibles mask pattern" although i cannot point you as to where to search. (also note that pleather such as Naugahyde can be heat molded, helping to hold a more dynamic shape)

2/3. for this/these methods the processes are initially the same as each other, only the final construction differs. when you heard clay, they were not meaning put the clay on your face, but rather sculpt the piece out of clay and then mold it. to do this, either make a life cast of your head (or Skullface's head if your using a pre-built full head mask) or buy either a Mardigras plastic mask that looks like a human face or even a foam hat makers head/ hat display stand (last one not recommended, unless you mold with latex, but more on that later). on top of this, simply use clay (oil based seems to work the best) and sculpt the piece on top. when done, the head you chose will be wearing a solid clay mask. make this as smooth and perfect as possible, as it will be more difficult to clean up later on. at this point, most spray this with clear spray paint, but this is not a necessity. paint with one thin coat of "Plaster of Paris" roughly the consistency of fully melted ice cream. When dry, pour more plaster on, at roughly the consistency of applesauce, so that the mold is about 2 cm thick. LET THIS DRY THOROUGHLY!. remove the original sculpt from inside the plaster mold, leaving s perfect impression of the mask. clean the mold, and wax the inside, to act as mold release. if you plan on using rondo (explained soon) silicone spray also works. finally, make the mask by painting the mold with in either liquid latex (pre-dyed see package for details on this), or "rondo" ( 50/50 mixture of fiberglass resin and bondo body filler). repeat this process until desired thickness has been attained. if you are using rondo, you can even include some fiberglass for added strength. wait for the mask to cure COMPLETELY, and then remove. finish the piece as desired, but only paint latex with latex paint, and avoid doing even that, if possible. with latex, you will have a flexible but limited use mask, while rondo yields a very tough rigid end product (meaning it is entirely inflexible). for more information, watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9yyf-IEk_k

process 1 may require some degree of sewing skill, but will only run you about 30 usd

process 2/3 requires more time, money and effort but the mold can be used multiple times, and you may end with a better looking final product, but will probably run closer to 80 usd.

best of luck, if you have any more questions, i'l do my best to answer!

RNC

cool, first time I've seen someone try to take on skull face. If you plan on doing the full head, it would probably better to mold it as one piece, (just follow step 2/3 but for the entire head) however, if you are just looking to make the mask, the process is about the same, just less costly and hence labor intensive. as I see, you have three main options:

1. make it out of leather, or a leather like material. patterns for this exist, and can probably be found if you searched for "Incredibles mask pattern" although i cannot point you as to where to search. (also note that pleather such as Naugahyde can be heat molded, helping to hold a more dynamic shape)

2/3. for this/these methods the processes are initially the same as each other, only the final construction differs. when you heard clay, they were not meaning put the clay on your face, but rather sculpt the piece out of clay and then mold it. to do this, either make a life cast of your head (or Skullface's head if your using a pre-built full head mask) or buy either a Mardigras plastic mask that looks like a human face or even a foam hat makers head/ hat display stand (last one not recommended, unless you mold with latex, but more on that later). on top of this, simply use clay (oil based seems to work the best) and sculpt the piece on top. when done, the head you chose will be wearing a solid clay mask. make this as smooth and perfect as possible, as it will be more difficult to clean up later on. at this point, most spray this with clear spray paint, but this is not a necessity. paint with one thin coat of "Plaster of Paris" roughly the consistency of fully melted ice cream. When dry, pour more plaster on, at roughly the consistency of applesauce, so that the mold is about 2 cm thick. LET THIS DRY THOROUGHLY!. remove the original sculpt from inside the plaster mold, leaving s perfect impression of the mask. clean the mold, and wax the inside, to act as mold release. if you plan on using rondo (explained soon) silicone spray also works. finally, make the mask by painting the mold with in either liquid latex (pre-dyed see package for details on this), or "rondo" ( 50/50 mixture of fiberglass resin and bondo body filler). repeat this process until desired thickness has been attained. if you are using rondo, you can even include some fiberglass for added strength. wait for the mask to cure COMPLETELY, and then remove. finish the piece as desired, but only paint latex with latex paint, and avoid doing even that, if possible. with latex, you will have a flexible but limited use mask, while rondo yields a very tough rigid end product (meaning it is entirely inflexible). for more information, watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9yyf-IEk_k

process 1 may require some degree of sewing skill, but will only run you about 30 usd

process 2/3 requires more time, money and effort but the mold can be used multiple times, and you may end with a better looking final product, but will probably run closer to 80 usd.

best of luck, if you have any more questions, i'l do my best to answer!

RNC

Thank you for the response! I was checking this out, unfortunately I do not have access to a big airy place, so this really limits my options. What I thought about while looking at Naughahyde is I could possible mold the thing somehow (the bevelling) and sew a backpiece and a front piece to make a 3d-looking mask. This could also make it more flexible (unfortunately casting it in resin would also be impossible as I would need it to bend).

Now I was suggested pink insulation foam...do you think I can cut the foam up, heat the naugahyde, mold it around the shape I made, then sew around it?

I'd probably go with making it out of EVA foam and glueing pleather/thin leather on top of it. The foam is quite easy to shape and also inexpensive. You can find it labeled as floor mats or the like. You can cut it with a sharp thin blade, but it dulls the blade easily so you should have some way of sharpening the blades, and you can sand it down pretty easily with either a dremel or regular sandpaper.
I'd recommend checking out some tutorials on youtube for "making costumes with EVA foam". Or just check out Evil Ted Smith @ https://www.youtube.com/user/evilted40/videos

This has the advantage of usually being quite light and easy to shape, and being inexpensive and an easy starting point for a novice (like myself; I just recently started to try to make something in foam, and it's pretty nice)

Now you have more options! Hope this helps a bit.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back