Trying to Identify the Blade Runner Cigarette Lighter

Looking closely at the movie snapshot, I get the impression the lighter has a slightly shorter distance to the first air vent on the Colibri versus the WIN lighter. They're not the same viewing angles so I can't be 100% certain, but I think the movie lighter is on the shorter side, which I think would indicate the Colibri is indeed the correct lighter, but they are very similar on the top and have a similar design in general (I think WIN is a modified copy).

Left: Movie closeup
Middle: WIN Electro-Quartz
Right Colibri Electro-Quartz.

Closeup Movie Snap Blade Runner Lighter.jpg
Win Lighter Held Side Close s.jpg
Colibri Lighter Top Down.jpg

Yes, it seems that the Colibri would be a good match for sure...then again, with Ridley, you never know ;)

I did some more measuring and the WIN lighter is closer than I thought to the Colibri in the distances (close enough I wouldn't feel comfortable saying which one it might actually be; Colibri is a more famous brand and was in The Man With The Golden Gun, for example, but Blade Runner had a strong Asian influence to the L.A. designs so a Japanese lighter like WIN wouldn't really be out of place either in the movie (I don't think it had a tortoise finish added like mine either way, but given you can only see the top I wasn't too worried about it at $12 when it's the only even CLOSE to the movie lighter I've seen for sale online). If anything, though the movie lighter seems shorter than either one when I measure the image relative to other parts on the lighter (namely the air vent distance relative to the top chunk above it). There's always the possibility the movie lighter is yet some other unknown brand or a slightly different model from Colibri even (i.e. how many years did they make that design and how much did it vary at the time?) I simply have no way of finding out in 2019 about every single lighter ever made (and I've been looking a lot as I got into lighters). I think either one makes a good display item without knowing for certain. Even replicas aren't always exact, let alone lighters you can only see the top of in a movie.

I do doubt the one in the movie said, "Dolly" on the side either way. ;) (but I guess it's that hard to find that model that a collector was willing to take an engraved one anyway).

I bought a Ronson Touch Tip that is engraved, but it's kind of special, having a dozen or so signatures on it during WWII, two of which went on to British Parliament supposedly and the lighter was a wedding gift in 1943 to Walter K. Whigham from the Central Electricity Board. This Whigman fellow had a locomotive engine named after him that broke a record, making the train bearing his name more famous than him. Why or how his wedding gift lighter ended up on eBay is beyond me (estate sale after his death, I would assume). With those signatures, you'd think the historical aspect alone would make it worth keeping by his descendants (unless he gave it away long before for some reason; I've had trouble finding a whole lot of historical information on his life). But either way, the lighter looks like it may have never been used (original wand; no char marks, no paint chips anywhere. Nothing. It sparks, but feels like it could use a bit of oil on the mechanism internally and god knows how old that flint is in it as I doubt it was ever changed if the lighter was never used, but I've gotten used to repairing lighters after collecting over a dozen antique ones). The problem is it's SO nice, as badly as I want to try a Touch Tip out, I don't want to use THIS one in this condition.... I really wanted a Maltese Falcon Touch Tip, but you have to be patient to get one that isn't over $1000 just to gouge collectors (and I mean in less than perfect condition as well). I offered to trade this historical Touch Tip with the guy on another forum that claims to own the original Maltese Falcon movie prop, but oddly he didn't even respond.... :D

Hey there,

I was the one who identified the Colibri Lighter. Here is the link on the reveal on the Facebook Propsummit page.

I had gone through so many lighters and had several other prop hunters go through reference and sizing with me before posting. I had considered the WIN but the pull switch doesn't line up with the top of the casing (it's set half way down).

And yes, they are wicked rare to find. I only know of myself and 2 other people who have been looking for them to find one to buy (The Dolly lighter being one of them and I have been in conversation with him).
73235541_534480760696982_2061856147740033024_n.jpg
74359692_418040482437142_2756445212401205248_n.jpg
75407649_411567499535287_1618938736261726208_n.jpg
73059487_2461045617503558_4170629307040792576_n.jpg

Hey there,

I was the one who identified the Colibri Lighter. Here is the link on the reveal on the Facebook Propsummit page.

I had gone through so many lighters and had several other prop hunters go through reference and sizing with me before posting. I had considered the WIN but the pull switch doesn't line up with the top of the casing (it's set half way down).

Do you have a picture that shows the switch at the top of the casing that lead you to eliminate the WIN lighter? My BD is too blurry to see that detail (as posted picture in above reply shows). It hardly matters to me as I'm just using it in a home theater room display and the poster I have is really for Blade Runner 2049 anyway. Frankly, I'm glad the WIN lighter works (with no leaks) as I've got about six Colibri electro-quartz lighters that don't work at all here.

This question of what Rachel's lighter was came up in my Lighter thread on lighters used in movie props. I did find this picture of the lighter. I'm still looking, but I'm not sure what it is. It does seem to match the lines on the side and the top doesn't open.

View attachment 1064676
This question of what Rachel's lighter was came up in my Lighter thread on lighters used in movie props. I did find this picture of the lighter. I'm still looking, but I'm not sure what it is. It does seem to match the lines on the side and the top doesn't open.

View attachment 1064676
39D77D98-0DB9-4D67-8E6D-104FBFBB759C.jpeg
8ECEA2C2-6247-4F74-8432-1777CD483C46.jpeg
D5836819-3E18-4F20-8A1C-1C6CA5C0C5A9.jpeg
51EDC785-B24F-4A51-A2B4-4143CDD2B476.jpeg
FFEAEF7F-505F-48E9-AC23-F34C4880123E.jpeg

i don't think it would be tacky,tyrell may have given it to her as a present.something with her name on to make her believe she is a real person.just like real people give named gifts.

I found another lighter by Hadson that isn't the Blade Runner one, but it looks darn close in some respects. The listing didn't show the side vents, thought and the switch is inset on the top rather than just attached to the front, but otherwise has the switch in a similar position, similar monogram plate and similar (thought less rounded) opening on the top for the flame.

Hadson Quartz 1.jpg

Hadson Quartz 2.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back