Trying to get an idea where to start with my latest idea

Dumdumuk

So this is my first time posting. I've only done a few simple thrown together cosplays in the past which are Dum Dum Dugan, Negan and Beta from TWD.
I'm thinking of trying to put together a Pyramid Head costume for my next cosplay but having never worked with craft foam before I was hoping to get some ideas of where to even start with making the helmet such as what tools do I need, how to join the foam together, how to make something like this wearable?
I'm also not sure what to do with the rest of the costume as I don't exactly have a muscular build but being 6'5" I hopefully can get away without the need for stilts.
Hoping you lovely lot will be able to help me out.

I teach foamsmithing at my Makerspace. Punished Props' videos are great. So are Evil Ted Smith's. Both have YouTube channels.

My most important tip for beginners is Let Your Barge Cement Dry Completely Before Assembling The PIeces! If you get your barge cement right, the two pieces of foam will bond instantly and never come apart. If you rush it, if the glue is even slightly wet, your seams will pull apart. You'll never be able to get clean joins and you'll have a mess to clean up while your finishing your armor.

Another bit of advice, invest in a decent Xacto knife and general retractable hobby knife/box cutter and don't be afraid to swap out blades reguarly or invest in a way to sharpen. The key to clean edges when cutting foam is a nice, sharp blade. Foam is rough on knife edges and it doesn't take many cuts to dull the edge. At first, it gets a little harder to cut, then shortly after you get rough edges when you do manage to make the cuts.

Another bit of advice, invest in a decent Xacto knife and general retractable hobby knife/box cutter and don't be afraid to swap out blades reguarly or invest in a way to sharpen. The key to clean edges when cutting foam is a nice, sharp blade. Foam is rough on knife edges and it doesn't take many cuts to dull the edge. At first, it gets a little harder to cut, then shortly after you get rough edges when you do manage to make the cuts.
I figured as much. I've always heard that paper can actually be the thing which blunts blades quickest so figured foam wouldn't be far behind.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back