True Detective Season 2 Badges

RexKramer

Sr Member
Ok here I go again.

As some of you may have seen from episode 1, True Detective Season 2 looks like its going to be GOOD.

Obviously, I feel the need to start a collection of TD badges and build off of the LA State PD badge.

Now I know Velcoro's badge is going to be somewhat made up, since the Vinci city is fictional (based on the real city of Vernon). That being said, here's the best shots of the badges that I could find:

Velcoro

XWvkreC.jpg

Silver + gold oval, can't make out the seal, with a 7 point star in the middle and what looks like "City of Vinci Poilce" and a badge number on the bottom.

Bezzerides

6IqFMrU.jpg

Gold 6 point star, can't make out the seal, with a 'ribbon' across the top point, most likely says "Detective".

Woodrugh

QsDcUxo.jpg

Seems like the easiest of the 3. Gold 7 point California Highway Patrol badge with "Officer", blue enamel letters and a gold CA state seal.

If anyone can provide any info that would be great. Definitely want to get my hands on these badges!

Last edited:
After some more research, I've found out that Bezzerides' badge is a Ventura County Sheriff's badge with a "Detective" ribbon across the top point.

Here is a picture of her badge from IMFDB:

fkoqBbV.jpg

And the Ventura County Sheriff's badge:

9jX21eG.jpg

Also, some more info on Velcoro's shield. Oval badge with "Police Department" on the top ribbon and "Detective" on the ribbon across the top 2 points of the star in the middle.

I can't make it out, but the state seal on the badge may be a made up seal with "City of Vinci Police" written around it. Here's a pic:

tzHS4dn.jpg

For those interested re the CHP badge;

- The number on a CHP badge never changes for the duration of its owner's career. New titles are riveted, and if the owner of that shield number retires in good standing and gets to keep his/her badge, they add a new riveted 'retired' up top.

- They do exist on both the collector market as they can leave service legally, technically speaking (not so for NYPD shield numbers - the numbers are recycled unless it is worn at the time of an on duty death, or the badge is 'disgraced' - a list of such NYPD shield numbers are often used to death in TV, eg detective 373, all of the shielf numbers in Third Watch except Boscoe's) and the replica market, however the quality of replicas is horrible for the most part. Issued numbers as at 2014 were circa the 20000 mark.

This thread being bumped has inspired me. Now I need to search for better pics of Velcoro's badge and try to replicate it as best I can at a place like epolicesupply or something. need one to go with my season 1 badge.

This thread being bumped has inspired me. Now I need to search for better pics of Velcoro's badge and try to replicate it as best I can at a place like epolicesupply or something. need one to go with my season 1 badge.

Smith and Warren S577B. Its close.

For those interested, the S&W "fantasy badge" worn by Velcoro et al can be ordered if you have a friendly Smith and Warren Dealer. Per above, its an S577B.

The Woodrugh CHP badge, on review of certain posters, is a cheapy with an incorrect number for the era. I'm assuming CHP didn't offer much help and the propmaster made do.

Bezzerides' Ventura County shield number is not shown on screen so far as I can tell. I'm tending to think they were able to unofficially borrow one from someone at that department. Would love a replica for my wall in Europe...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back