Truck from Spielberg's "Duel"

Has anyone ever done a top-notch, decently sized model of the evil truck from Steven Spielberg's early film, "Duel", starring Dennis Weaver from back in the early 70s?

A kit of this semi-iconic movie truck seems like a natural to me, yet I've not seen any evidence that one has ever come out. The truck used was supposed to be a Peterbilt 281, but I believe the production might have augmented the standard make a bit.

I have seen a few builds over the years. I'll see what I can dig up on the modeling forums for you.

There was a kitbash featured in Finescale Modeler in the early '80s. It was pictured on the cover if you want to look for it.

Here is a start.

How many Aurora kits do you have? - Page 2 - HobbyTalk

Look in the middle of the stack.
It's a shame he never responded with info about that kit. Knowing Revell, it probably consists of a combination of repackaged kits (truck and trailer) that already existed, and isn't particularly accurate.

Now that's inspiring! Somewhere in my stack I have a truck kit and a trailer kit that I'm one day hoping to combine and customize into the Duel truck; if it turns out half as nice as that modeler's work I'll be happy.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else looked at this thread at all as it seems to have died a death.

Basicaly I would love to pay for a commision build to have a replica truck made from the movie duel if anyone has a kit or info? Maybe a scratch build?

Thanks everyone
Wayne

I’ve wanted to build this truck for quite some time and have been researching details off and on for the past couple of years. I have the Peterbilt 359 kit and the cab will have to be converted to look more like the 281 and the airbag suspension will have to be changed to springs. The frame may also have to be extended a little. Also picked up a Model A kit for the headlights. The trailer is a unique shape and will most likely have to be scratch built in order to look right. I want to build the original truck and not the one used in the additional scenes which has some minor differences. I have a couple of builds started and I want to finish those first before starting on the truck.

Hey Wayne and Randy,

If either of you do come up with a builder able to take on a commissioned build of this truck, I REMAIN semi-obsessed with getting my paws on a decent replica of it...

Thanks for the bump..I thought the thread had died awhile back, myself :)

It's funny..of all the esoteric subjects that I'd like to see represented in model form, or better yet, made as a kit, I've always been surprised that the truck from Duel has never been considered a more popular idea. I guess, as it was primarily from a TV move, and a movie that didn't get blockbuster theatrical attention, or hit series attention, it's not considered a mass-appeal idea. However, I think it would be a VERY popular kit. Sure, it would have a niche interest, but a substantial enough one to make someone a few bucks..At least, I think it would.

Hi Fellas,

Another interesting thing...I´m currently building a master for the car that was terrorized by the truck in the movie, a ´71 Plymouth Valiant. It will be casted in resin when it´s done and a ´71 Plymouth Duster kit from AMT will be needed as a parts donor to complete the model.

I´ve wanted to build the truck when I saw the movie for the first time, but not without the car. As there has never been a 4-door Valiant available, I`ve tried to do it by mating a Plymouth Duster front end to a Dodge Dart body. And it worked somehow.

3062613437343763.jpg

3736323366313164.jpg

6131343166396139.jpg

3930343339333436.jpg

These pics are old and the body is already close to being finished. Roof and side windows are done. Just some scribing of panel lines, some sanding and scratchbuilding the rear lights is still needed. Then I´ll have to make the interior door panels and some wheels to get the transkit ready for casting.

I´ll post some pics of the current state later if you guys are interested.

Greetz,
Kevin

Last edited:
Kevin,
I'm very interested...Both vehicles were key 'characters' from that killer movie. I'd love to own a kit of the Valiant as well as the Peterbilt truck...They'd make for terrific companion pieces.

So...Not only was Spielberg's Peterbilt an extremely customized variant, but Dennis Weaver's Valiant was too? Never knew that..

Thanks for the post..Look forward to watching your progress!

Hi Captain Finney

The Valiant that was used in the movie was not customized. It was a plain-jane car with a Slant-6 engine. Spielberg has chosen this car because it seems very weak and fragile compared to the truck. And the low horsepower of the car's engine would hardly be enough to outrun the truck. That makes the movie even more thrilling.

The model just needs so much work because a kit of the Valiant has never been available. For an accurate replica of the car, I have to build it by myself. The front end comes from the Plymouth Duster as this car has the same hood, fenders and bumpers like a Valiant. The Dart body was chosen as it has at least the same windshield frame and overall size of the Valiant. Everything else needs to be scratchbuilt. In the end nothing of the Dart will be recognizable anymore. It will look like a bone stock Valiant.

Cheers
Kevin

Not too long ago on the Starship Modeler forum, someone posted a model they did of the truck, which they took a modern Peterbilt 379 (I think the 1998 year model) and made modifications and used some resin pieces to back-convert the truck's appearance. He even scratchbuilt the truck's tanker trailer. It was really impressive, but I can't seem to find the post on the forum there now.

Kevin, you’re doing an awesome job creating that Valiant. Not only would it be great just having the truck alone but having both would make it complete. After all it takes two to have a “Duel” :rolleyes
Capitan Finney, if I come across any info that might be useful to you, I’ll be sure to let you know.

Those are two sweet builds..The video is well done, too...

If you're into Maximum Overdrive as well, he's got a Happy Toyz truck he did (video on the same channel as well). He's actually got a few semi-truck models he's done on his channel. Definitely recommend them

great that this thread is taking off. Well I am also after a model from the 1977 Brolin movie "THE CAR", now that is an awesome looking beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great that this thread is taking off. Well I am also after a model from the 1977 Brolin movie "THE CAR", now that is an awesome looking beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There as a company that made a 1:25 scale model of the car called Planet X (the company is named Planet X, not the model). I don't know if they're still manufacturing them or if the model is still available, but at least its a starting point.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back