TRON

RKW

Sr Member
Was watching TRON on DVD the other night and I wondered if anybody had produced any replicas? It would be nice to own a helmet with some kind of EL-wire or luminous tape setup that makes it glow.

After watching the making of TRON I was suprised to see a Black Hole sentry droid used in the early test shots.

I'd like to know about this too. I keep thinking about making a disk. I also had the idea of using EL sheet to light it. Maybe use two frisbees with the electronics sandwiched between them...

The Helmet is a cool idea. What could we use for a base? It fits pretty close to the knoggin, so something like a batting helmet wouldn't work well. Perhaps a helmet liner?

What's out there?

There have been a few threads on this subject.

From what I recall a few have done the costume and disk.

Cue Pic of our favorite fan.. :D

"Cue Pic of our favorite fan.. "

thought Had crossed my mind.. but no. didn't want to go there. :lol

Originally posted by TK171@Feb 24 2006, 10:53 AM
Helmet? Cooper hockey Helmet. Sk2000?

[image]http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/1e/4d/38_2.JPG[/image]
[snapback]1192313[/snapback]​

Say.... that's not bad at all. In fact, that's a great suggstion. I may just have a new project :D Thanks TK171.

Disney auctioned off quite a bit of original suits & helmets, ooh about a good 3-4 years ago now (on eBay)....

Mostly whitish suit w/ reflective taping & piping most of the stuff was in relatively good to poor condition (considering it's age)....

If I remember the Cooper helmet was the base - most of the arm accessories & such were foam....

Here's a good Tron link, haven't visited in a while should have some links...

http://www.tron-sector.com/default.aspx

Hope this helps.

BTW, finished the resto on my Tron upright including beautiful Phoenix Arcade graphics etc. - if anybody has a machine & needs advice, drop me a line.

-Rod

Originally posted by TK171@Feb 24 2006, 12:00 PM

[snapback]1192321[/snapback]​

I know that was the first thing that went through my mind... unfortunately :cry

[attachmentid=6792]

Originally posted by apollo@Feb 24 2006, 03:59 PM
There have been a few threads on this subject.

From what I recall a few have done the costume and disk.

Cue Pic of our favorite fan..  :D
[snapback]1192319[/snapback]​

You wouldn't be refering to "Tron Guy" now would you? A guick search on google revealed some disturbing results.

EDIT - Yes you would from the image above :lol

Originally posted by soltic@Feb 24 2006, 04:10 PM
Disney auctioned off quite a bit of original suits & helmets, ooh about a good 3-4 years ago now (on eBay)....

Mostly whitish suit w/ reflective taping & piping most of the stuff was in relatively good to poor condition (considering it's age)....

If I remember the Cooper helmet was the base - most of the arm accessories & such were foam....

Here's  a good Tron link, haven't visited in a while should have some links...

http://www.tron-sector.com/default.aspx

Hope this helps.

BTW, finished the resto on my Tron upright including beautiful Phoenix Arcade graphics etc. - if anybody has a machine & needs advice, drop me a line.

-Rod
[snapback]1192332[/snapback]​

That's interesting to know that they had reflective taping as the screen used stuff seemed to be just black lines drawn on the suits?

Originally posted by propcicle+Feb 24 2006, 05:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(propcicle @ Feb 24 2006, 05:13 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-TK171
@Feb 24 2006, 12:00 PM

[attachmentid=6792]
[snapback]1192334[/snapback]​
[/b]

To quote Ace Venture....:"Your balls are showing...."

Marc

Here are the Tron and Flynn helmets I made, as well as a disc.

062c89e9.jpg

I also have a casting of one of the film discs that an individual was selling around here for a while...it's much smaller than a real Frisbee (think Frisbee golf disc).

These were a PITA to make...as I'm sure others who've made such helmets can attest to. These would be near impossible to do as an EL effect and keep remotely accurate. This has been gone over many times before. A disc could possibly be made with EL sheeting, but could only be used for display purposes only. You'd have to take a Frisbee and a router and cut out the rings, lay the EL sheet from the backside, and then glue the rings back on. At least, that's the best plan I could come up with. However, it wouldn't be cheap, as the materials would cost you upwords of $150 to do...and then you'd have to do it right the first time and not screw up. Best of luck to anyone who tries...it's been a project I've had on the back burner for years (thus the reason I have the blank disc)

Derek

Originally posted by TK171@Feb 24 2006, 11:00 AM

:lol Sadly some one DID go there.

Thanks propcicle. :p

I bought the film as a UMD for my PSP so I wouldn't be bored on an airplane flight and noticed something funny as hell. Anyone notice what's printed across the top of one wall of Alan's cubicle?

Originally posted by propcicle+Feb 24 2006, 09:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(propcicle @ Feb 24 2006, 09:13 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-TK171
@Feb 24 2006, 12:00 PM

[attachmentid=6792]
[snapback]1192334[/snapback]​
[/b]

Holly hell, that picture says "click to enlarge"?.....

I saw those in the store. They're just a flying disc with some EL wire attached to it. You'd need EL sheets to get a decent enough effect.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back