TRON: Uprising Series Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by CB2001, May 13, 2012.

1. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  2. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Re: TRON: Uprising Special Preview of First Episode

Looks good. I'll be tuning in to see how it goes (hoping for the best).

Interesting mix of styles. I'd like to see this sort of treatment for any Johnny Quest revamp.

Doug

3. hansicle

hansicle Sr Member

Reminds me of Aeon Flux, but still cool. I enjoyed it.

4. Davlin

Davlin Well-Known Member

And nicely blocked for non US residents, which happens to be a lot of us. Same as DVD zoning : Pointless, frustrating, and torrent-pushing. Now, I have to wait for someone to be nice enough to upload this elsewhere... >_<

5. DEVONKNIGHT

DEVONKNIGHT New Member

I can sympathize with you Davlin. :angry

6. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I liked what I saw, but I hope they can explain how Tron/Rinzler is working at this point in time. It was more like they were suggesting Tron was being coerced to work for Clu, not that Tron had no choice. And if he has a choice, why do it at all? And if he doesn't have a choice, why would he help a rogue program?

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  7. TymerDC

TymerDC Sr Member

For you guys (like myself) who doesn't do Facebook........You can view some sneak peek videos here:

Videos | Tron | Disney XD

8. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Kerr, over at the Tron-Sector forums, I actually suggested this possibility of what might happen. And one of them is what TRON said happened to him.
    Basically CLU thinks that TRON is dead, but TRON is still alive. I'm betting what happens towards the end of the series' run, Beck and anyone else who revolted are going to eventually get captured and derezzed, either through fighting to the last second or forced into the games. CLU ends up hacking TRON and turning him into Rinzler, leaving him no memory of who he was until he sees Kevin Flynn in the Light Jet towards the end of the movie, which in turn kicks in his base programming.

Of course, I could be wrong. But a lot of people at the Tron-Sector forums actually like this possible scenario.

9. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

Finally got time to watch this. So TRON is in it... But a mentor background character?

Why has he aged yet CLU hasn't?

Raises more questions. Seems a missed opportunity to have Bruce B reprise the lead hero role one last time...

10. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I don't think it's that he's aged, that's just data corruption (scarring) from the injuries he had from the fight with CLU.

11. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Maybe. So Tron fought CLU, Tron lost and CLU left him for dead (though he didn't collapse into the data bits like anyone else who dies?) and Tron is in hiding? So Flynn should be in this world currently, also hiding, so then they'd need to address if Tron goes looking for Flynn. From the movie, we can assume Tron doesn't find Flynn, and since Flynn thinks Tron is dead he's not looking for him. Though unless Flynn isn't completely cut off from the civilized area of the Grid, wouldn't he hear of Tron being alive from this guy impersonating him?

There's some threads they're just going to have to tie up to make it all make sense or there's some discontinuity there. I hope they address it in some form or manner, because I hate serious breaks in logic or continuity like that.

But it was a great series premiere.

12. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

looks goood!!!!

13. nolatron

nolatron New Member

I was really wanting to see this show but then I discovered they are airing it on Disney XD, a channel my package doesn't have. Argh!

I guess they won't post these online or anything eh after they air? :(

14. msldkdk

msldkdk New Member

I can only say that it's something worth watching and which I really enjoyed as well.

15. Davlin

Davlin Well-Known Member

So... Finally found a torrent. Saw it. Enjoyed it, a LOT. Full of little details that bring a world up to its full potential. Cool action scenes. Some fan-service. Interesting characters.

I really liked the Rinzler suit used as a disguise; Took me a while to figure that Tron is still Tron ( at first I thought Clu's reprogramming was incomplete, if not why letting Tron go alive ? ) and the black Rinzler is actually a disguise ( for now ).
    My theory is, at this point, that Tron will have to sacrifice himself again to help Beck and Clu will then reprogramming him, burying the Tron persona under Rinzler's.

16. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

We've talked about that at the Tron-Sector as well, and even voiced my theory on it:

Since Flynn went into hiding off Grid, there's a good chance that he is staying off the Grid (which is part of the reason why CLU hadn't found him and his disc for "over a thousand cycles"). Plus, it's suggested that not only vehicles malfunction when they go off-grid, but that programs and ISOs can cease to function properly by doing so (this comes from the closing scene of the video game, when after the Recognizer crash, Quorra's circuitry is seen flickering, almost as if it were on the verge of dying, but after Flynn takes a hold of her hand, it ceases to flicker and glows normal again). So, even if TRON wanted to look for Flynn, there'd be no way for him to do so because going off-grid in combination with the damage that TRON took, could possibly lead him to completely derez. Not to mention the fact that Flynn thought TRON was dead, as did everyone else apparently (as we get with the series) and since TRON was damaged, there is a tactical advantage: if everyone thinks you're dead, then there's no one looking for you. Plus, there's the possibility that if CLU knew that TRON was still alive, that CLU would hang back and keep an eye on him in hopes that he'd lead him right to Flynn. So, TRON probably wouldn't have looked for Flynn in order to protect him.

Plus, there's a good chance that Flynn did hear about Beck or probably heard about TRON but decided to stay off-grid for his own safety (and there's a chance that anything he's heard about TRON he would probably be hesitant to believe because there could be a chance that CLU may have purposefully spread false information to try to draw Flynn out of hiding). After all, Flynn did say to Sam in the film that there was a revolution forming on the Grid, and he did seem surprised when he discovered TRON being still alive. Not to mention, there's a good chance that Beck didn't tell anyone about TRON being alive in order to protect TRON, but when Beck eventually failed (which he obviously did, as we already know that his actions didn't do as much good on the Grid, as CLU was still large and in charge), TRON may have been with him, and instead of derezzing him, he reprogrammed him to be Rinzler and derezzed Beck, hoping that it would squash any further uprisings.

I'm sure they will. Part of the reason why there was a discontinuity between the TRON: Betrayal comic and the TRON: Evolution game was due to a lack of communications between the companies working on them.

Totally agree. :D

17. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Great first episode. [ I found a copy 'on the grid'.]

One goof. As the train went upside down a second time it had its caboose back.

The helicopters were neat. But blowing smoke? It's digital, man.

18. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Um... Did you even see TRON: Legacy? When the Light Jet got one of the engines damaged, it blew smoke too. Besides, the mindset behind how come the grid has rain, fog, smoke, etc. is because of the fact that it's ran for a long enough period of time that it began to develop its own realism (this has been explained by the director and the writers in many interviews). TRON: Uprising takes place in a period after CLU's coup. This means that it's in a state of transition, thus blowing smoke doesn't seem that far off and may in fact be one of the first signs that the Grid is slowly evolving into its own reality and eventually reaching the Grid as we saw it in the film.

19. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

And electrical components can burn, it's not a matter of just having gasoline.

20. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

^True that.

21. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Yes, but it's the real actual hardware that is burning, not the software. A gif of a fire isn't hot.

[actually, it magic smoke. all electronics are filled with magic smoke at the factory. when it breaks the magic smoke gets out and it doesn't work anymore.]

22. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

I enjoyed this greatly. Watched it with my kids this afternoon. Well done!

23. MrSinistar

MrSinistar Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the premiere! Lots of great potential for a series. There were a couple of things that I didn't care for, mostly the fact that Tron is pretty much sitting on the sideline again, but other than that, looks great!

24. msldkdk

msldkdk New Member

25. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Are the people in the Grid just 2 dimensional 50kb files? No, they're actually simulations of people. And the machines are simulations of machines, and machines can break and burn.

26. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

^-Exactly. And the longer the Grid runs, the more realistic it becomes, having rain and fog and weather changes (the mentality explained by the director and writers).

27. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Wait, I thought the Rinzler we saw in the film was the real Tron, but didn't know he was Tron anymore. Doesn't this conflict with that a little? Or did I miss what they were going for in Legacy? I only saw the film once.

28. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Yeah, in "Tron Legacy" Rinzler was not at all himself, he was actively fighting for CLU. In this, he seems to either be faking it with CLU, or CLU thinks fought him and left him for dead and Tron is in hiding. There's an inconsistency here that needs to be addressed in the show and hopefully will.

29. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Remember guys, the animated series takes place sometime after CLU's coup and the purge of the ISOs and Long before Sam's arrival on the Grid in T:L.

Like I've suggested before, there's a good chance that what's going to happen to TRON is that eventually, CLU is going to get him and completely reprogram him to be Rinzler we saw in T:L. Right now, TRON is himself and in hiding and CLU thinks he derezzed him.

So, it's only an inconsistency at this point in the story, but it may not be later on.

30. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I swear this show was already on and at least one episode on dvd. I saw something that was animated and Tron at Kmart.

31. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Do they bleed? Do they wrap a rag around their amputated stump? No, they derezz into bits. Or get their code rebuilt.
    Why would it simulate smoke anyway? They've never experienced fire or smoke in that world.

I liked his little 'fixit' tool. Wish I had one.

32. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

To answer the question, I'm going to post the exact reply I made when this question was asked over at the IMDb. It helped that person, and I'm hoping that it will put this issue to rest for you: At the suggestion of another "TRON" fan, I decided to check out the "Disney Second Screen" site a while ago, which gives you the option to either sync up with the movie on Blu-Ray/DVD or explore on your own. And to my surprise, there was a bit of an explanation. Basically, due to the system for running for so long, the Grid itself evolved to become more realistic, which included clouds, rain and dust (and in the case of the smoke issue you had, smoke too). Now, before you say, "That seems unlikely,", keep in mind that it was the Grid created the ISOs because, as Flynn stated, "the conditions were right." So, it could be possible that the Grid may have started out as a simple WYSIWYG simulation environment with a simple pre-fab design when it came to the environment, but it eventually became an actual "reality" unto itself, even mimicking cloud, rain, dust and, yes, smoke, due to running for such a long period of time. The system evolved from what Flynn started with.

I hope that addresses the issue so we can finally put it to rest.

33. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

CB2001, I think we've all seen the film. I don't think spoiler tags are needed. I am aware of when this story takes place, that's one of the reasons I asked what I did.

Legacy showed CLU reprogramming TRON in the moment of his betrayal. That's why he didn't know who he was for the rest of the film. That's why when I saw Rinzler turn white and become Tron my first thought was "Huh? That doesn't jive with the movie."

I think Kerr is right, something has to happen with Tron in the series to bring it in line with Legacy. But, honestly, I still really enjoyed the episode and intend to watch the show. Even though it doesn't jive for me, I like seeing Tron again. I enjoy the look and feel of this show a whole lot.

34. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

The spoilers are for those who haven't seen T:L and possible spoilers for T:U. I'm just covering the bases, so to speak.

I don't recall a scene where we see CLU reprogram TRON. I recall a scene where we see CLU "kill" TRON by bringing an ID Disc down into him, and a scene where Flynn reprogrammed one of the guard programs. But there is no direct scene showing TRON being reprogrammed by CLU from what I remember seeing.

Give it time, I'm sure they'll address it. But I do agree with you, it's great seeing TRON again and I too like the look and feel of the show. :D

35. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I heard gossip that Tron heads was cut off by Clu. That's why he had that helmet and didn't talk. When he was near Users, Trons code began to repair.

My other snit was that the discs were a little too much like lightsabers, cutting through walls and such. They didn't do that in Legacy.

And as for 'realism', the computer world is the only real they knew. Why make it resemble some other world? The production may say that, but why do it?
    Do they have firemen to put out fires with 'water'?

36. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Gossip isn't canon, so that doesn't really matter. The discs can punch through a person when they are thrown, so why is it hard to believe they could cut through objects when pressed against them? Beck specifically had issues cutting down one of the monorail pylons, having to put a lot of effort into it. That works for me.

37. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

They ate suckling pig.

I'm guessing it was smoked...

Digitally.

38. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Gossip is not classification of evidence. What's in the film is what's there, which is we see CLU bring his ID disc down into TRON. We don't know if it was a hit to the head or if it was to the chest, but we know that the blow did cause some damage. So, unless we saw a scene where we saw CLU reprogramming TRON in the middle of the street outside of Flynn's arcade where he attacked them, the idea of everyone thinking TRON is dead, including CLU, in T:U is plausible.

Because there was no situation that came up in the film that called for that situation. The closest we get is when Sam uses one of the ID Discs to cut through the cuffs on Quorra.

They said it because when it came to the design, they looked at pre-existing video games nowadays (much like the video games of 1982 helped form the pre-production development of the Grid's design in TRON). Though simulations, they noticed the realism in the graphics and how they became more and more realistic the environments were, thus using that as their basis for the Grid's environment. And what's in video games these days? Fog, smoke, rain, fire, etc, and all of them look almost as real as the real thing. Thus, the reason why they are in there. I don't see how that is impossible to understand.

39. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I caught this last night (Friday) on Disney XD. I have to say I thought it was pretty good.

But what was wrong with the sound sync? The audio seemed about a second or two ahead of the picture, at least where I am. It was really only noticeable when they talked. The words were a second or two before their mouths started moving.

Did anyone else notice this? Or was it just my particular cable provider having problems?

40. wannab

wannab Sr Member

We have Dish Network and had the same sync issue.

Doug

41. TheCollector

TheCollector Active Member

I thought It was a pretty awesome episode. Can't wait for more.

42. terryr

terryr Sr Member

But it's not made by web developers.
    It's made by 'people' living inside a computer. They've never seen rain, don't need it, and water would be bad for them. Same with fire and smoke. [there is 'liquid energy' but it's not water]
    If you lived your whole existence inside a computer you wouldn't worry what was outside it.

43. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

CLU would beg to differ... :lol

44. Usagi Pilgrim

Usagi Pilgrim Sr Member

My one question (& my son's), is, IIRC Rinzler had the 4 cube "T" on his chest, only in red. When Beck was seen with the "T" on him, everyone was immediately saying it was Tron. So, why wasn't that same train of thought going on in LEGACY?

Loved everything about the show & I'm sure there's a reason out there. Just wanted to know what it was.

45. The Rock-a-who

The Rock-a-who Well-Known Member

My interpretation is, it's originally programmed by Flynn - a user. CLU is a program, programmed by...Flynn (still a user).

Whatever happens in the grid, its foundation is still based on a user's (Flynn) input.

Plus, I think we're splitting hairs here. I mean, programs that look like people? You buy that, but not rain :)

46. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is an interesting point.
    I wonder if it will be addressed.

It is conceivable that the Rinzler/Tron reveal in Legacy is designed from Flynn's point of view, and that to everyone else, the transformation was something of public knowledge. (Flynn being exiled.)

47. The Rock-a-who

The Rock-a-who Well-Known Member

My guess is, in addition to the 4 block T Beck had, it's also circled and his circuit patterns matched Tron's as well - think of it as if you wore an Avenger's t-shirt...if I wore the same shirt, no one would think it was you.

48. Pagz

Pagz New Member

Well, there is an unbelievable amount of time for them to resolve any inconsistencies.

This is based on some lines in Tron: Legacy. I don’t claim this to be official, nor do I know if this is in fact what the writers intended, but it is certainly the impression that I got.

1 hour real time = 1 minute grid time
    8 hours grid time per milicycle
    8000 hours grid time per cycle
    5.5 Real days = 1 cycle
    333 grid days per cycle grid time

20 years real time = 7300 days real time
    7300 days real time = 1327 cycles
    1327 cycles = 441,891 days grid time
    441,891 days grid time is the equivalent of 1,210 Human years.

So from Flynn’s perspective, he’s been trapped on the grid for over a millennia. So Tron: Uprising has a lot of time to work with here :p

49. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

It could be possible that CLU publicly executes Beck and since everyone thinks he's TRON, they assume that it was TRON who was executed (and CLU, since he's known for manipulation, probably stated it was TRON before Beck is executed), while behind the scenes, he had the real TRON held somewhere and then proceeded to reprogram him and turn him into Rinzler and eventually introduced him on the Grid during Disc Wars as Rinzler, and he basically became sort of the champion for the Grid (which would explain why the crowd went wild for Rinzler when the Final Round was initiated and Sam meets Rinzler for the first time). So, any doubt anyone had for TRON existing after Beck's been put down, is laid to rest while no one knows or even suspects that TRON still exists, even with Rinzler running around.

50. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

DVR programming reminder: This starts up tomorrow night.

In the US. Not sure about anywhere else.