Unlimited Run Tron: Legacy Rinzler helmet

Ok so I'm super tempted here. Just a few questions. In your images, the cast helmet looks like a smoked grey color, yet your finished product is definitely black. What treatment are you applying to it to achieve that color? Paint? If so, doesn't that reduce/eliminate the visibility?

Secondly, do you have an image showing the helmet pulled straight from the mold? What kind of clean up is required? Are there large seams or just general wet sanding that is needed to be done?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to gauge how much work I have ahead of me if I go with the raw cast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey AdamHunter, great questions! The smoked gray cast IS the raw cast. It's a clear Urethane with some drops of black tint mixed in when I mold it. The black finished helmet is simply painting the interior a flat black primer (Rustoleum to be exact). I mask off a section of the interior where you see out of, but because the rest is black, it's nice and dark inside, which helps hide the visibility of the wearer's eyes. For this style helmet, visibility is fairly unrestricted. But ask Bandit-Jedi or some others what they think.

I will take a pic of a raw cast next time I make one, but the clean-up isn't too tough. Mainly, a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and sanding wheel is used to trim out the marked neck opening, and for cutting out the holes where the lights go from the inside. You will also want to use a hot glue gun to help hold the EL wire in place where the four side lights are. An exacto knife comes in handy for fine-tuning the hole cutouts.

NO wet sanding required! It will probably just need a fairly minor hand-buffing with a microfiber cloth and rubbing compound over some spots that are duller than others. Then follow up with a carnuba wax to make it pop. The seams, or parting lines, in the cast are trimmed up by me - even if you just order a raw cast. They're a little tricky.

Hope this helps!

Actually, the pics above of the raw cast are literally straight from the mold. You can see some excess material around the neck opening. This is what you'd trim off with the Dremel up to a molded-in ridge (so you know exactly how much to remove).

Last edited:
I just wanted to share a couple of pics of my TRON/Star Wars mashup costume I wore at Star Wars Celebration Chicago last month. Crimson490's Rinzler helmet was the perfect thing to (literally) cap off the outfit. This was the first time I'd included a helmet and tried to incorporate electronics into a costume and he was extremely helpful in working with me to try to get the helmet lights to match the colors of my EL panels and blade. The helmet itself worked great and got plenty of compliments! If you're on the fence about purchasing one, I'd say go for it. Thanks Crimson!

RPF_IMG_3021.jpg
RPF_IMG_3018.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back