1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Unlimited Run Tron: Legacy Rinzler helmet

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by Crimson490, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Crimson490

Crimson490 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Greetings Programs!

You can now get a 4th Tron helmet from me: Rinzler! - either fully finished or raw cast.
    You can read more about how it was built here.

Here are the options (shipping is extra - pm me your zip code / country for actual costs):
    - Raw Cast: $160
    - Raw Cast w/ lights: $180
    - Fully finished with lights: $290

The Helmet is a 1-piece clear and tinted urethane cast. It is wearable, meaning you can see out of it. Because it's tinted, it's like wearing sunglasses. This makes it more difficult to see at night, but possible. It also makes it difficult for others to see you inside. Because this is roto-cast,and not vacu-formed visibility is distorted, but not foggy or hazy. The opening in the bottom is oval, and is roughly 6.5in. (16.5cm) wide x 8.1in. (20.5cm) deep. It slips over my head with little problem (gotta tuck ears in), and my head measures a circumference of 23in. (58.4cm). Once my head is in, I've got lots of room. It's just the opening area that is tight.

The Light kit includes ~5ft long EL-wire, 3-foot extension wire (if you want to place the battery pack in your shirt or pants pocket), inverter/driver with on/off/blink switch, and a 12v battery cage (for holding 8 AA batteries). The inverter has a 9v battery connector on it, so you have the option of using either the 12v cage or 9v battery.

You can choose between several different colors for the lighting. Here's a list of what's available:
    Aqua (looks white when off)
    Blue
    Pink
    Purple (looks maroon when off)
    Lime Green
    Lemon Yellow
    White (looks a pale pink when off)
    Orange
    Red (as seen in pics below. Looks more of a red/orange like Rinzler's color)

Also included with either raw cast or finished is a separate colored transparent piece which is the larger lit area in the back. Depending on what color EL wire you want, I can color this piece to match the EL wire.

I do not include foam padding, as everyone's head is sized differently.

And last but not least, this helmet is not for road-use!!! It's not protective AT ALL, and is intended for cosplay or display.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    mugatu, AdamMasterTV, Nexus6 and 3 others like this.
  2. rjsosongco

rjsosongco Active Member

Just PMed you back!

Crimson490 likes this.
  3. kscofield1998

kscofield1998 Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

PMed you as well. Sign me up for two (one for wife, one for me!).

Crimson490 likes this.
  4. staticweb23

staticweb23 Active Member

I'm down for one in a few weeks :)

Crimson490 likes this.
  5. Crimson490

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to working with you. =)

6. rjsosongco

rjsosongco Active Member

Just attended WonderCon in LA with my completed sub dye and helmet, here are some photos!

mwong02.jpg mwong01.jpg dtjaaaam.jpg

Sub dye painted by me, printed at Fabric On Demand, and sewn by Raven Roth. If you're interested in a suit, let me know!

mugatu, CFT, StarForge and 1 other person like this.
  7. Crimson490

Whoa! Those pictures are radical! This right here is what motivates me to make these helmets - seeing the end result.

Great work pulling it all together & thanks so much for sharing!!!

rjsosongco likes this.
  8. rjsosongco

rjsosongco Active Member

Crimson490 likes this.
  9. timothyoevil1

timothyoevil1 New Member

Definitely need to get me one of these awesome helmets. PM sent!! ;)

Crimson490 likes this.
  10. Bandit-Jedi

Bandit-Jedi Sr Member

Dude, your killin me over here!! Haha

That Rinzler Helmet is beautiful! As are all your pieces.

Crimson490 likes this.
  11. staticweb23

staticweb23 Active Member

If you still up for more requests I would be in for a Ris Red and another in Blue, or maybe both colors could be added to the one Helmet?

Thank you,

Static

Crimson490 likes this.
  12. Crimson490

Yes! I can still take requests on all of my helmets - but I'm looking at my calendar and this month is sketchy. Would you (and anyone else interested) be up for a September delivery?

13. Bandit-Jedi

Bandit-Jedi Sr Member

I'm in for a Raw cast with no rush on production and shipping. I'll PM you my info. This will look great next to my CLU! ;)

Crimson490 likes this.
  14. Superpants

Superpants New Member

My cast has arrived safely today. A good product, turned round quickly, good communications and well packed. Very happy with it & can't wait to get it finished.

Crimson490 likes this.
  15. plokoon

plokoon New Member

pm ;) for you sir

16. Bandit-Jedi

Bandit-Jedi Sr Member

This Rinzler Helmet ROCKS!

A few pics from Wizard World New Orleans earlier this month when I debut the Crimson490 Rinzler Helmet with my UD Replicas suit. The Helmet size is perfect. I'm having issues of fogging but im looking into rectifying that with a super small fan and some anti-fog.
    IMG_2580.JPG IMG_2581.JPG IMG_2582.JPG

CFT and Crimson490 like this.
  17. Crimson490

Mind blown.:D

18. isaacantley17

isaacantley17 New Member

Are you still selling the helmets? If so how can I get one? :)

19. Crimson490

Yes - still selling all 4 Tron helmet styles (CLU, Rinzler, Black Guard, and Quorra). PM sent!

- - - Updated - - -

You might also try drilling all the way through the small pattern of holes in the back. It may improve hearing as well as increase air flow slightly. So glad you love it!

20. Yakjak

Yakjak New Member

I'm definitely interested if still selling, pm sent!

21. AdamHunter

AdamHunter Active Member

Ok so I'm super tempted here. Just a few questions. In your images, the cast helmet looks like a smoked grey color, yet your finished product is definitely black. What treatment are you applying to it to achieve that color? Paint? If so, doesn't that reduce/eliminate the visibility?

Secondly, do you have an image showing the helmet pulled straight from the mold? What kind of clean up is required? Are there large seams or just general wet sanding that is needed to be done?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to gauge how much work I have ahead of me if I go with the raw cast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. Crimson490

Hey AdamHunter, great questions! The smoked gray cast IS the raw cast. It's a clear Urethane with some drops of black tint mixed in when I mold it. The black finished helmet is simply painting the interior a flat black primer (Rustoleum to be exact). I mask off a section of the interior where you see out of, but because the rest is black, it's nice and dark inside, which helps hide the visibility of the wearer's eyes. For this style helmet, visibility is fairly unrestricted. But ask Bandit-Jedi or some others what they think.

I will take a pic of a raw cast next time I make one, but the clean-up isn't too tough. Mainly, a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and sanding wheel is used to trim out the marked neck opening, and for cutting out the holes where the lights go from the inside. You will also want to use a hot glue gun to help hold the EL wire in place where the four side lights are. An exacto knife comes in handy for fine-tuning the hole cutouts.

NO wet sanding required! It will probably just need a fairly minor hand-buffing with a microfiber cloth and rubbing compound over some spots that are duller than others. Then follow up with a carnuba wax to make it pop. The seams, or parting lines, in the cast are trimmed up by me - even if you just order a raw cast. They're a little tricky.

Hope this helps!

Actually, the pics above of the raw cast are literally straight from the mold. You can see some excess material around the neck opening. This is what you'd trim off with the Dremel up to a molded-in ridge (so you know exactly how much to remove).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  23. AdamMasterTV

AdamMasterTV New Member

Would this fit a 24.4 sized head?

24. Crimson490

It would, but only if additional trimming were done to the opening in the bottom. As it is, the opening is just big enough for me, and I have a 23" circumference.

25. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sending some more business your way Crimson ;)

26. Alby45

Alby45 New Member

Are you still making Rinzler helmets ?

27. Crimson490

Yep! As well as the others (Black Guard, CLU, and Quorra).

PM me if you'd like to order something!

Alby45 likes this.
  28. Alby45

Alby45 New Member

PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. NovaCore

NovaCore New Member

Are you still selling this? Because I’m interested!

30. CFT

CFT New Member

Incredible. And now I have to watch this again too.

31. Crimson490

Yes! Still selling Rinzler (and Quorra, CLU, and Black Guard). Pm me with what you'd like (raw cast, finished, what color lights).
    Thanks!

32. NovaCore

NovaCore New Member

Awesome

33. NovaCore

NovaCore New Member

How much for finished with orange lights?

34. Crimson490

$290 + shipping. Pm me your zip code.