Tron Legacy Identity Disc with Retracting Blade

Snowsongwolf

Hey all,

Been a member of these forums for a long time but finally getting to a project I think is worth posting.

After a long day doing not much at work and a lot of sugary pop, I think I found a way to create a retracting cutting surface for an identity disc.

The idea is the cutting surface is comprised of 30 teeth (giving me 12 degrees per tooth) with a slight overlap so it will appear gapless when extended. An interior ring is slotted with spiral channels that push and pull the teeth, driven by some sort of small motor (thinking stepper right now). The teeth are illuminated with Neopixels fitted with light channels to redirect the light 90 degrees. I'm using Neopixels because I have 300 of them on hand anyway.

Here's a basic sketch of the mechanism I'm envisioning. https://goo.gl/photos/xStjCKtnuMbXbmrj6

Later tonight I'm going to start messing around with Fusion 360 and see what I can come up with.

~ Zack "Snow"

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back