Tron Legacy Costume

58085_176625639025129_100000330810249_465369_2286120_n.jpg

Ok just cause Annisse asked..here is Ver 2.0

Annisse, if you are looking into fiberglass, try the "west system". Last year I made my 10' Amp suit from it. Far easyer than regular fiberglass(stink level is almost none), little more $, but to make a helmet not much diffence. I had never uesed the stuff before, but now have a couple of hundred hours, plus I learned from a pro. PM me if your looking for some pointers. Good luck !

Yes, I have a couple shoots lined up. One on location and one with a green screen background controlled lighting to do a little PS fun with my pics.

I want exact poses as Olivia as she appears in the promo shots. Not sure when I am setting this up though, my costume already needs repairs with the lighting.

Awesome! Will be looking forward to seeing those. While shot taken at events are fun, they never capture a costume as it should be which is a shame. Will be cool to see you matching the promo poses!

Thanks Blackfeathers! Perfect! Going to download Siren pics now ;)

HAHA I whole heartedly agree on the partying, was planning on a wild night out. I am very bummed the rain ruined our trip to the TRON sign on Sunset. :(

During that weekend I went to elecTRONica And my experience was ruined by the rain. Everything was cancelled. I was a lonely soul! :cry It was opening weekend and no eleTRONica. I brought a friend and it was such epic fail as disneyland!!

Oh and how can I forget to mention.... movie was beyond INCREDIBLE! I can't wait to see it again at the El Capitan theater.

I want to organize another gathering to see when everyone in LA can get together for this. Was thinking after the holidays, maybe Friday January 7th? I am only off work Wed. thru Fridays in January. Definately don't want to wait past January, don't know how long it will stay at the theater.

and maybe if this rain would ever stop, a trip to the TRON sign on Sunset. Wanna do this after Christmas on a weekday night so will try and go next Wed. the 29th or 30th. Who knows how much longer the sign will stay there since the movie is out already. Don't want to miss out on a shoot there.

Yes and we must do a gathering as disneyland elecTRONica as well!!!

To: BlackFeathers, compass, and green justin, and all the rest from that raining TRON gathering at city walk. Thank you for the compliments, as it gave me confidence to wear it again a few times more to disneyland over this past week. The peak was when some boys came up to me and asked if I was part of the show, and I responded, "unregister programs detected, summit to reprogramming or be derezzed, end of line!" and i started to chase them, and then took a family pic with them.

(P.S. Will be at Disneyland today the 24th, look for red MCP asian guy)

I do plan to create my original vision, but I'm working on a split tron cosplay with my trench coat. where I'll have both EL and reflective tape for any photographic situation. The red reflective tap work so well because under flash its not so blindingly bright, hell a few people thought it was EL when they saw it live. But we have to glow its epic. And now having seen the movie, I'm not as worried trying to get is super perfect and the actor had difficulty keeping the panels from kinking.

;) even better!

5286989635_a5e4ef9981_b.jpg

YES!!!

You know I'm still browsing the pictures and I have a grin from ear to ear. I had such a great time despite the rain, seeing everybody there. And to be honest, I expected a jerk or two to poke fun at us but really I didn't hear one snide comment the entire night. Everybody that saw us was amazed at the job we did and they were very complimentary.

I would like to do this again, and if I'm given enough notice I think I can swing a second trip out there. :)

Until then, Merry Christmas from the grid.

Slowly but surely, things fit. A little happier now having tried out with better quality PVC.
In the picture there are two Leds, one in each end of the strip. As easy as this. I'm amazed.
I will go with two more powerful Leds on each end, and some reflective fabric behind. PVC cannot be painted, because somehow this steals the light and impedes to achieve the whole strip.

Still thinking...

finished the front of my costume design last night. will upload pics later. its kinda sloppy because i didnt feel like making sides match i just wanted to see what it would look like on paper

12-24-2010_001.jpg

Last edited:
Slowly but surely, things fit. A little happier now having tried out with better quality PVC.
In the picture there are two Leds, one in each end of the strip. As easy as this. I'm amazed.
I will go with two more powerful Leds on each end, and some reflective fabric behind. PVC cannot be painted, because somehow this steals the light and impedes to achieve the whole strip.

Still thinking...

Very nice! Whats the thickness of the piece?

Still thinking...

Try gels they use for stage lighting. Thats the first thing that sprang to my mind.

anybody here do a castor (zues) costume? im thinking about doing it and was going to see if anyone who has done it could help me

Very nice! Whats the thickness of the piece?

Ah yes, I forgot, it's 3 mm. It kinda "tries" to go slightly yellow, but powerful white Leds I hope will prevent that.

Try gels they use for stage lighting. Thats the first thing that sprang to my mind.

I found the PVC just by chance. Well not, this is not fair. As they say, information is power, and I have spent MONTHS researching.
I have tried literally dozens of techniques since August.
PVC has an amazing property called internal reflection, as the methacrylate. But PVC comes in flexible forms, methacrylate is rigid.
I don't know any other material which has this property, nor the silicone, nor polycarbonate, nor plastic...and I went to a plastic store with a led and tried many many different materials, but none of them "light up" as PVC.

Last edited:
Hello all. Just recently found these forums. Not only was I so in love with Legacy, but when I saw Caster/Zues I totally wanted to cosplay him. Like one of the other posters mentioned I have the build and similar enough facial features to pull it off I think. However this is my dilemma... I don't sew and I don't know a whole lot about electronics. A friend of mine is an excellent costume maker (shes done lots of cosplay outfits) and I'm thinking about having her or someone else make me (commission) Castor's suit. Theoretically I could then work with her later to have the light strips added.

Only problem I see is for lyrca/spandex suit..
1) Might be more of a pain to sew pieces of that material together and not look like crap?
2) Cutting holes in it for the light strips to show through (concern being the edges of cut out area and also making it so it doesn't look like crap).

But ya... I'll slowly be reading through this whole thread. Anyone else who has or is doing Castor or a similar costume (Siren) I'd love to get in touch with for any pointers of where a guy like me would even begin on this. Again, I am willing to have his suit commissioned if anyone is doing stuff like that... but not sure how feasible that would be as one who is sewing it would probably have to have me there to measure/fit.

Who knows... maybe after a 5-10 more pages of this thread things will become more clear to me haha.

BTW... MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

I am planning on making a Clu costume soon, and I love all of the great costumes made so far! For some reason Clu always stands out to me, and I really like the character.

Now, this may be a really stupid idea, but I might as well ask, since im researching my options... Would it be possible to sculpt one of these costumes (the armor parts) out of clay, mold it, then make casts out of rubber? I know this has been used on some Iron Man armors and if it would work, I could make a pretty accurate costume...

If anyone knows more info about this process (which I've never done before) I'd really appreciate the knowledge.

Annisse, where/how did you find that?!

Lot's O great info here...
Tron Legacy - Tron Wiki - Tron, Tron Legacy, Tron 2.0, Tron Evolution and more

damn but here it says Quorra's circuitry is blue :( that has been one of the biggest questions, are Sam and Quorra's lights blue or white?

UGH! I am just sticking with white, white produces a blue hue in some photography. So, if Quorra's lights were blue in the movie, then it must have been a very faint blue almost white hue.

I asked a friend of mine that actually worked on the suits in the movie but she never got back to me and I hate to keep bugging her about it.

Or, are they referring to Quorra's circuitry in Tron Evolution here??? So confused. :confused

Quorra - Tron Wiki - Tron, Tron Legacy, Tron 2.0, Tron Evolution and more

I am planning on making a Clu costume soon, and I love all of the great costumes made so far! For some reason Clu always stands out to me, and I really like the character.

Now, this may be a really stupid idea, but I might as well ask, since im researching my options... Would it be possible to sculpt one of these costumes (the armor parts) out of clay, mold it, then make casts out of rubber? I know this has been used on some Iron Man armors and if it would work, I could make a pretty accurate costume...

If anyone knows more info about this process (which I've never done before) I'd really appreciate the knowledge.

I've been lurking this thread for a while, though this is my first post. I too have been interested in making a full Clu costume and using some sort of rubber. Havent started thinking about the helmet or the robe/cloak, but I intend to make those too

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back