Tron: Legacy CLU helmet build

Re: CLU and Rinzler Helmet

Thanks buddy!
You read my mind! The cut el sheet method is what I'm going to be trying this week. And I totally agree - with a template, this method should be accurate and quick.

Sweet on the clue, been looking forward to the v2 for sometime
Put me down for one please =)

Let me know when you start taking deposits for this. Combined with Electronic Lids's original Tron helmet, this is all too overwhelming. Nice work!

Thanks!

OK - finally got the lighting squared away. I expect that I'll get better/quicker at this, but man this is far more painstaking lighting work than I was hoping for.

So, it's a cut el sheet with a yellow color filter. I'm not getting quite the brightness out of it that I was hoping for, but el stuff is never as bright as LED. The cool thing is that the yellow filter looks pretty sweet even when the helmet is not lit up.

I will be starting a FS thread within the next day or two, and I'll post here with the link.
Thanks to all for watching and for your kind words along the way!

Oh yeah...I guess I never really put up any pictures of that as finished. Well, I guess the thread title is misleading, since it has become more focused on CLU.

I did do a rinzler helmet, but not from a mold. Just used a bike helmet with foam/bondo, threw in some red LEDs, and put some holes in the front for visibility. It wasn't that good, and I didn't have time to make molds for both (nor did I feel it was mold-worthy), so I left it alone and stuck with CLU.

No - not going to make Rinzler any time soon. My plate is too full at the moment!
And thank you golgotha000!

Yes I can, and it looks like you found the FS thread for CLU.

As far as working (or even non-working) replica suit for CLU...I have yet to see someone selling these. Ask UD Replicas to make a CLU version! =)

Hey hey, been looking for this post to ask you this....HOW do you do that? Exactly what wires do you use and from WHERE....? Same for the wire glue? Also, does the TAPE itself have to be touching a CERTAIN way in order for what you have shown above to work, or just the wires in a certain way? If so I have the perfect plan to modify my Rinzler suit once it comes in (UD replicas) Please please let me know all of the above asked. Thank you buddy.

Awsome work buddy, gobsmacked at your sculpting skills :eek

As to your EL situation, it is possible to cut tape an re-join it if a small section of protective outer coating is removed to reveal the silver layer underneath.

Here's a few pics I took when I first had a go:

As long as one outer track and the middle are joined, the EL will work fine
bd55f47f.jpg

Up close, a fine line can be seen at the join...
625ed5b6.jpg

...but to a camera just two foot away...
d95996f5.jpg

No soldering was involved either as I found this on eBay:
683cfbe2.jpg

It needs something like apoxy as a coating to strengthen it a little once it's dry, but it cirtainly saves wrecking the EL with heat).

Another option is proper cuttable/tabbed EL sheets?
cf72d93d.jpg

Basically, as long as two of those tabs, or solder points (circled in red) are left in your pattern, the cut shape will light up, saves messing with the above method, and no join lines. Plus, you could make a template for the pattern and be able to use it again any time :thumbsup

Hey hey, been looking for this post to ask you this....HOW do you do that?

Actually, I was just experimenting as at the time of taking the pics, I didn't know a very much about EL and wanted to test its limitations.

Exactly what wires do you use and from WHERE....?

If you look carefully on the underside of the EL tape, there is a wide silver section with two thin ones running along either side. As long as one of the outer ones is connected along with the centre one, it will light up. The wires I used in this case was just speaker wire, but for costuming I use test meter wire as its super flexible and tends not to break as quickly.

Same for the wire glue?

The wire glue was a happy accidental find in eBay. It needs a good stir if it's been sitting for a while as its a carbon compound and the carbon tends to sink to the bottom. Also, it's sooo easy to get everywhere, AA have some pepper towels handy, and use a toothpick to put a drop (all you need) on the joint and leave to dry. It's a little brittle once cured, so I use apoxy resin as a coating to strengthen the joint.

Also, does the TAPE itself have to be touching a CERTAIN way in order for what you have shown above to work, or just the wires in a certain way?

No, the tape doesn't need to touch in order to work, the wires carry the current to the adjoining piece, and I some cases looks pretty cool with the gap.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

So beautifull and SHINEY.....aww man, I hope mine will be the twin of this one. I just can't WAIT. :D So very excited and thanks again for adding me on the list of VIPs

Thanks!

OK - finally got the lighting squared away. I expect that I'll get better/quicker at this, but man this is far more painstaking lighting work than I was hoping for.

So, it's a cut el sheet with a yellow color filter. I'm not getting quite the brightness out of it that I was hoping for, but el stuff is never as bright as LED. The cool thing is that the yellow filter looks pretty sweet even when the helmet is not lit up.

I will be starting a FS thread within the next day or two, and I'll post here with the link.
Thanks to all for watching and for your kind words along the way!

Can you tell me exactly what you used( wireing and apoxy brands/types/names) and how you did this? This is fix a huge road block in my Kevin Flynn Robe project I'm gonna be doing soon enough.

Awsome work buddy, gobsmacked at your sculpting skills :eek

As to your EL situation, it is possible to cut tape an re-join it if a small section of protective outer coating is removed to reveal the silver layer underneath.

Here's a few pics I took when I first had a go:

As long as one outer track and the middle are joined, the EL will work fine
bd55f47f.jpg

Up close, a fine line can be seen at the join...
625ed5b6.jpg

...but to a camera just two foot away...
d95996f5.jpg

No soldering was involved either as I found this on eBay:
683cfbe2.jpg

It needs something like apoxy as a coating to strengthen it a little once it's dry, but it cirtainly saves wrecking the EL with heat).

Another option is proper cuttable/tabbed EL sheets?
cf72d93d.jpg

Basically, as long as two of those tabs, or solder points (circled in red) are left in your pattern, the cut shape will light up, saves messing with the above method, and no join lines. Plus, you could make a template for the pattern and be able to use it again any time :thumbsup

I'll do a quick tutorial thread and post a link, I don't want to hijack crimsons most awesome CLU helmet build thread :thumbsup

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back