Tron: Legacy CLU helmet build

Re: CLU and Rinzler Helmet

Thanks!

Now i'm working on the Rinzler helmet for my other son. but i won't have time to make a mold for it before halloween. I'll just poke some holes through the foam/bondo. He's gonna be so jealous of his brother!:behave

Here's some other random pictures...

That is pretty amazing!

In my opinion the lower jaw-line flares out a bit too much, but it's probably one of the most accurate *finished* C.L.U. helmets I have seen.

Awesome job!

I have kinda stopped as of late with mine, I re-started with the pepakura xbox avatar version because while my free-hand version was great, pepakura seems easier and more accurate so far. But I don't need it for Halloween, so I'm not worried. I'm more or less developing the script instead... (For my personal fun project in video production college I want to do a Tron: Legacy sequel.)

Last edited:

Thanks, and good luck with your script!

And I totally agree about the jaw line - it's one of those things that in certain angles stands out to me, too. I appreciate the feedback.

If I can be honest, my plan is to sell a couple of these and then reinvest into the master mold with some of these alterations. I'd also add the rear triangular vent features and spend some time tinkering around with a vacuform front.

Hey, I'm also working on a clu outfit and helmet, (I've followed/ posted on the gigantic "tron legacy costume" thread) and I stumbled across your posts.

It looks like I'm using a similar technique for casting, I was wondering how to were able to remove the model you sculpted from the silicon without tearing the silicon? It looks like you used 1 piece for the silicon mold, i have been using smooth-on's oomoo 25, and needed to make the mold two pieces to prevent tearing, but this makes it slightly more difficult to cast.

Bsal, you are correct - i'm using a single silicon jacket with a 2-pc hard shell (mother mold). I wanted to avoid any flash or parting lines on the cast helmet. I used Smooth-on's Rebound 25 silicon. It appears that the OOMOO is not as pliable or resistant to tearing as the Rebound. Here's a side by side comparison:

OOMOO 25 Elongation at Break: 250% Tear Strength: 40pli
Rebound 25 Elongation at Break: 690% Tear Strength: 120pli

Give it a try - i think you'll find success! So far, i've pulled off my 1-pc jacket three times, and never one tear.

Last edited:

Aha, thanks for the info! I will need to order some Rebound, but first some alterations to my design.

clerksfan37 and Panzer, thank you very much!

Per RPF rules, on November 16th, I'll be permitted to make a junkyard post selling these.

Time to start saving up I suppose. So you actually made it so you can see out of the helmet? Very nice, if I recall correctly the CLU helmet was solid and they used a camera and screen so the actor could see out of it. I may be remembering that wrong though.

Yes - visibility is narrow, but good and clear.
Because the clear resin leaves you with cloudy visibility, i cut out the front center panel and glued in a clear plastic piece. It blended in nice.

yeah, I heard that the camera was mounted up in the triangular feature on the forehead.

that's right - if you look back at the pictures on page 1, it's tinted and you can't see in from the outside. VHT NiteShades - about three passes makes it dark enough.

Awesome thread. Thanks for making and sharing. Also thank you for sharing the info on your JY thread. I was actually quite tempted on sporting one of these on my bike, but a normal helmet has such limited visibility, I certainly couldn’t manage to ride with zero peripheral vision.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back