Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1 (will resume shortly)

Re: Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1

Hi all :)

Well it's been a productive Friday.

I managed to put a few hours in after work throughout the afternoon/evening/night (cheering), and I've just finished with the 1000 grit (there were quite a few troublesome scratches on the underside, grrrr, but elbow and thumb won out in the end :lol).

e104bf01.jpg

I'm off to bed for some well earned rest (I've been awake and active for almost 20hrs), then if I get time tomorrow, it's on to the 1200 grit and it won't be long after that until I'm onto the other side :thumbsup

More soon....

I was pleasantly surprised by the way the slush disc looked with the light under it. You also answered a mild puzzle for me, thanks. I often wondered why you made those bands convex and not flat, it wasn't an issue or anything so I put it down as a design flair and left it as a mystery. I'm pleased your idea worked for you :thumbsup

Have I never mentionned this to you ? Sorry about that. Yep, it was intentional, it's all a matter of using the straight light coming from the EL sheet and forcing it into a series of refraction / diffraction in order to try and recreate the effect we can see in the movie. It's a bit of a bet too; If this works, it should work really well. We'll see how it turns, but this test is already promising. :)

Awesome work on the polishing. I can imagine getting lost in the shinyness after a while. I know I would stare at it for a good hour after all that work.

Awesome work on the polishing. I can imagine getting lost in the shinyness after a while. I know I would stare at it for a good hour after all that work.

Thank UnholySpectacle :) glad to see my efforts paying off :thumbsup

Yep, stared at them for ages (will be doing more staring no doubt :lol) and it is quite hipnotic/relaxing, kind of like staring at a pretty flame.

Hi all

I just did not get the time to get back to sanding this weekend, it's been a busy one. Looks like I'll be stuck to late night sessions as its the summer holls and the kids are off school. If I can persuade the wife to field the two younger ones I might get a morning session in as well, but they're a handful, so I'll have to see how it goes :lol

More soon....

Last edited:

Hi all

Managed to put a couple of hours in this morning (thanks to my lovely wife :)), and put the first layer of scratches down with the 1200 grit. I'll finish the rest tonight after work (late shift, yay! Happy, I'm such a night owl).

c68d9289.jpg

I have the kids all morning tomorrow, so it's unlikely I'll be able to get to it untill after work again, but it's the 1500 grits turn, so it's not far from being done on that side.

Hi all

Well that's the 1200 grit done, and it's shaping up nicely :)

be6fd485.jpg

I'll try and get the 1500 grit done (or started) tomorrow morning, but it depends on a few things, fingers crossed.

More soon....

Hi all

Well that's the 1500 grit done (at last), though it doesn't look as shiney for some reason.

14c280a8.jpg

I'll see if I can make a start on the 2000 grit after work tonight.

More soon....

Hi all

I was hoping to have some new progress to post up tonight, but my thumb has finally succumbed to all the sanding I've put it through recently and is on sick leave for a few days.

I'm a bit gutted as I'm so close to finishing this side (only 3 grades to go) which tempted me to carry on regardless, but the indentations on the inside of the disc are quite difficult and require a specific rotating technique involving my thumb to get the scratches in properly.

I'd use the other one, but I know it would make a hash of it so I'm not even going there :rolleyes
3067844c.jpg

In the meantime, I'll be working on other aspects and areas of the project, and posting on the disc discution thread while my thumb is recovering.

Until then, have fun and build well.

More soon(ish)....

Hi all

Just a quick update to let you all know that the sanding will resume again this evening.

Thumb is back from sick leave, is totally bored and raring to go :thumbsup And we have a new strategy that will push the project forward somewhat :)

It was helpfully pointed out by Davlin the other day, that only the bands that will be clear need sanding to the 3000 grit (wish I'd thought of it :facepalm).

Now that a large workload has been shed, the polishing will be just round the corner. Both parts should only take about half hour each to polish and it's straight to moulding them, so I'm aiming to have a fully working (minus the back) prototype by the end of the month at the very latest (slow progress I know, but three kids and rotating shifts can do that :lol).

It's early shift for me this week, so if I don't get time, I'll post today's progress up tomorrow.

More soon....

Hi all

Made some progress over the last two days, and we'er back to being shiney :)

2bf29ff7.jpg

Just the 2500 and 3000 grit to go on this side which I hope to have finished by tomorrow.

More soon....

Now you can start thinking about the best way to mold this beauty. Happy brainstorming ! :)

Brainmelt more like :lol

I think I have both of them worked out, but for a few small details.

I have decided not to use fibreglass for the mother mould, as I found a much nicer alternative that has good non shrink properties and isn't toxic. In the states it's called hydrocal30, over here it's casting stone, and along with jute skrim (can't remember the equivolent US name for it, but it's a natural fibre weave used the same way as chopped strand), it will be very close in strength to fibreglass.

The only part of the mould making I had concerns about were the vents for the disc . With all the bashing needed to get air out of fibreglass, I was worried that I would knock off one or more of the small vent tubes in the process. Using the casting stone is much gentler, and I can still make the walls thin, but rock hard.

The other thing I'll be able to do using the casting stone, is integrate the tabletop potting wheel by makin a recess for it in the centre at the top of the mother mould. I'll be able to paint the bands with the slush resin much neater with everything nice and secure and centralised :thumbsup

As a slight aside, we had a call from the warranty people three days ago saying ours had ended for the washing machine, I kid you not, the next day it broke!?!? Water was w everywhere. The upshot of it is, the wife wants a new one, and I get a nice new electric motor to play with (along with a few other choice items from it :)). So in the not too distant future, I think I'll be upgrading the tabletop wheel so I won't have to do it by hand anymore :thumbsup

Right, I'm getting back to my sanding now, more later....

...we had a call from the warranty people three days ago saying ours had ended for the washing machine, I kid you not, the next day it broke!?!? Water was w everywhere...

It must've been a high-end washing machine for them to engineer it to break the day after the warranty expired. Or maybe it was wireless controlled, and they sent a signal out after you declined a new warranty.

Please don't make the tron disc that advanced... ;) ;)

It must've been a high-end washing machine for them to engineer it to break the day after the warranty expired. Or maybe it was wireless controlled, and they sent a signal out after you declined a new warranty.

Please don't make the tron disc that advanced... ;) ;)

:lol :lol

Hi all

Spent a good three hours in the shed today, and as a result, the underside is done, and only the two outermost bands on the topside left to do :)

Underside
0e9fb9ec.jpg

Topside (though it's difficult to tell in this pic)
8c64b7d3.jpg

There will be a slight interim between polish and mould making while the degassing chamber gets sorted. I have to drop it off and wait for thier call to say its finished (possibly a couple of days, give or take). Once that's back and tested I'll start on both moulds.

More soon....

Hydrocal, wow, that brings memories. It was a product I used a lot, along with Ultracal, to make molds for the prosthetic pieces. You should consider using pieces of clothes to put within the molds, in order to reinforce it even further. :)

The washing-machine turned into a roto-molding machine is a cool idea.

Keep up with the good work, Canobi ! :)

Hydrocal, wow, that brings memories. It was a product I used a lot, along with Ultracal, to make molds for the prosthetic pieces. You should consider using pieces of clothes to put within the molds, in order to reinforce it even further. :)

The washing-machine turned into a roto-molding machine is a cool idea.

Keep up with the good work, Canobi ! :)

Hi Davlin

Yep, the hessian (jute skrim) has been ordered alongside the hydrocal :thumbsup

I'm looking forward to making the centrifuge-caster too.

Last edited:

Hi all :)

The sanding is now finally finished :thumbsup so its on to buff n polish for these two tomorrow morning :thumbsup.

Drill rigged Mcgyver style and ready to go :thumbsup
3be86bff.jpg

An aluminium sabre grip I had knocking about proved to be the perfect solution as a clamp aid (I solute you for your noble sacrifice :cheers :lol)
71aeac1f.jpg

I also came home from work to find the Hydrocal30 and hessian had arrived :) The only downside is my degassing chamber isn't sorted yet, and I don't want to mix the silicone without it. I'm taking it to a place that can help me out on that front tomorrow, but I'll have to leave it there and wait till they get in touch so I can pick it up. I'll prep everything in the meantime, and get it ready for when it's back, and I'll post some pics of the newly polished parts once they are done :thumbsup

More soon....

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back