Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1 (will resume shortly)

Re: Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1

Hi all

Managed to wrangle in a sanding session before retiring to bed (early shift this week), just the 3000 grit to go.....:

8e413164.jpg

Hi all

And that's the 2500 grit done (forgot about that one :facepalm) and not looking bad at all. Just the 3000 grit to go before polish time:

d8b3ce87.jpg

More soon....

Hi zookone :)

It's about to get shinier, 3000 grit coming up tonight :thumbsup

The final buffing and polishing the lens tomorrow, and I'm so looking forward to seeing it in its full (super shiny) glory :)

Thursday I'm starting the on the other master, but I'm going to start with the 1500 grit as the finish seems that much better than on the lens.

The underside needs a little more attention than the topside so I will start with the 800 as its still very clean.

Before I get back to torturing my elbow, I did a light blocking test with the slush disc using one of the EL panels and I though I'd show you:

ff74905b.jpg

I was expecting it to block more light than that, but now I've seen it, I kind of like the way the bands let a bit of light through, it'll make the whole disc appear alive and will look more screen accurate.

Right, I'm going to my shed to do some sanding, I'll post pics of today's progress as soon as I can :thumbsup

More soon....

Last edited:

Awesome, this is turning out a treat! Still need to hook up at some point too!

Awesome, this is turning out a treat! Still need to hook up at some point too!

Thanks buddy :)

Yeh, I can't believe how close we live to each other, and yet haven't maneged to hook up yet :lol :behave

A couple of friends of mine just opened a steampunk caffe in town called The Pump House, maybe we could meet there sometime?

The 3000 grit will have to wait till tomorrow, my bro came round earlier as I was prepping.

More soon....

Hi all

Managed to do the back of the lens with the 3000 grit last night before bed:

127a240c.jpg

I'm going to try and do the topside at some point tonight with the intention of buffing and polishing tomorrow, with any luck I'll have both masters finished and ready to mould by the end of the weekend :thumbsup

Thanks renderinfo, I hope to have more to post later :thumbsup

Hi all :)

Well it's later, and progress has been made :thumbsup The lens is now finished and ready for the buff n polish stage :thumbsup

17980b24.jpg

Comparing the two parts together, I really don't think the other master needs too much attention, so I'm going to start at the 1200 grit instead, but first I'm having a well deserved break and a cup of tea ;)

More soon....

Last edited:

Hi all

The under side definately needed more attention, and I ended up going back to a 600 grit. It's looking better, so it's on to the 800 tomorrow.

6909fd55.jpg

More soon....

Canobi,

All this sanding with different grit is for making the mold, right? This isn't something that you need to go through for every disc... [Just clarifying for myself and any other followers...]

Wow, this is super shiny. Awesome job, Canobi.

As for the lighting test, are you kidding me ? It's a great effect, it looks gorgeous with the lights concentrating on the borders of each stripes. I didn't thought that would work so well. Can't wait to see how it will turns out with the tinted resin. :)

Canobi,

All this sanding with different grit is for making the mold, right? This isn't something that you need to go through for every disc... [Just clarifying for myself and any other followers...]

Damn effin right I'm only doing this sanding malarkey once, do it over a hundred times?!?! S***w that for a game of soldiers! :behave :lol :lol

Hi renderinfo :)

Don't listen to my elbow, it's just annoyed with me ATM :lol

The answer to your question is yes. I'm taking the extra time to get as mirror smooth a finish on both parts as I can prior to moulding. That way, every pull will have the same ultra shiney finish :thumbsup

Wow, this is super shiny. Awesome job, Canobi.

As for the lighting test, are you kidding me ? It's a great effect, it looks gorgeous with the lights concentrating on the borders of each stripes. I didn't thought that would work so well. Can't wait to see how it will turns out with the tinted resin. :)

Hi Davlin :)

I'm quite pleased with the finish on the lens for just sanding alone. I haven't polished it yet as I want to use it as a comparison to get them as close as poss before polishing (I would be annoyed if one didn't look as good as the other).

I was pleasantly surprised by the way the slush disc looked with the light under it. You also answered a mild puzzle for me, thanks. I often wondered why you made those bands convex and not flat, it wasn't an issue or anything so I put it down as a design flair and left it as a mystery. I'm pleased your idea worked for you :thumbsup

I'm trying not to think too far ahead as I can get impatient sometimes, and I really want to do this right, but yeh man!, I can't wait to fire the prototype up for the first time either.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back