Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1 (will resume shortly)

Re: Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1

Silicone... You never have enough of it. :D

So, stop posting and please mold that thing, so we can see the very first prototype ! :)

Silicone... You never have enough of it. :D

So, stop posting and please mold that thing, so we can see the very first prototype ! :)

Sorry, I can be such a tease some times :behave

I'm on it :thumbsup

I want one! that's it. I know this will be the greatest Original Tron Disc prop ever made. I'll just start massing cash man. I want one without a doubt.

chances of making a red one too? that would be nice!

Love the details. I'm excited to see what it'll look like finished. I'm particularly intrigued by the defraction disc.

I want one! that's it. I know this will be the greatest Original Tron Disc prop ever made. I'll just start massing cash man. I want one without a doubt.

chances of making a red one too? that would be nice!

That means a lot :$ thanks :)

Consider it done :thumbsup

So much effort has gone into getting it to this stage, especially with all the upheavels and life changes that the guys were going through and still managed to snatch time to turn my concept (and some of theirs) into beautiful works of 3D art that can be made reality (like this one :)).

It is indeed possible to make a red one, all you need to do is swop out the blue tinted Perspex (see costruction pic in first post) for the red one that will also come with the disc :thumbsup

Love the details. I'm excited to see what it'll look like finished. I'm particularly intrigued by the defraction disc.

All credit to Davlin for the lens, it's his creation. His idea is that when you tilt the disc around, it will play with the light in an odd but subtle way (like the discs did in the film), giving it a kind of "life" as it were.

I'm as exited as you are to see this one light up :thumbsup

Hi all

Dropped kids off at school this morning and got on with stuff

All prepped, waxed and secured
a1791d24.jpg

Silicone on standby just begging to be used
ac2cfd69.jpg

Pouring this slowly from a hight (till I get my replacement chamber)
8f492755.jpg

And my worst nightmare! Not enough silicone!! Silicone sticks to silicone right????
96a0cb44.jpg

I once poured a 2 part mold without release on part 1 and though it was difficult get separation it started, the two parts came apart cleanly.

It felt like it would have stayed together fine if I hadn't needed it apart.

Hi guys

I ordered more silicone, the clear resin and the roto resin today. I'm hoping it'll arrive early next week as it'll coincide with some much earned time off work (very handy :thumbsup). I've kept the mould covered and hopefully dust (or anything else) free as possible in the hope the next layer will bond better.

We'll have to see how it turns out I guess (fingers crossed).

Hi all

More supplies arrived this morning, so I will be finishing the one side of the mould today, other side tomorrow and casting the first pull (with bands) on Saturday.

With any luck it will come out OK :confused

Hi all

Quick update

Well there's good news, and bad news.

The good news is they the top layer of silicone bonded really well to the rest.
ed6d468c.jpg

3e9b41df.jpg

Unfortunately, as I turned it over to start on the other side the master dropped straight out of the mould. I was going to make the undercut part of the second half, but in hindsight, it would have held the disc in place :facepalm. As such it's no longer viable to make the prototype with :cry

However, as it's captured so much of the detail, I might offer some slush casts (as I cures white) at a very cheap price to those that might want to have a screen accurate black and white one. The rim will need a lot of attention as there will be some exess resin where the clay had been layed up for the other half of the mould (hence the cheap price)

I'll turn one out when I get back from work tonight, and put up pics.

If its something you guys might concider I'll only be selling them for £15 each so I can gather back some funds for some replacement silicone for the prototype.

More soon....

As you know I am so down for the finished product(s)...still most likely would like 2 of each..one back up for when my child hurls it across the room.....

As you know I am so down for the finished product(s)...still most likely would like 2 of each..one back up for when my child hurls it across the room.....

Hi Storm :)

These will be relatively heavy, so it probably won't be hurled very far :lol

Hi all :)

Quick update

while the parts look nice and shiny in the pics, they just aren't good enough for my liking (not to say I'm unhappy with the parts, far from it), so I bought an aluminium polishing kit to make them as close to mirror smooth as I possibly can without killing the details.

I'm going to skip the most abrasive wheel as the finish on the parts are already very good and show no machine marks that I need it for. I also bought two specially shaped finishing buffers for concave/convex parts.

I'm pretty busy for most of this week and it's my birthday on Friday, but hopefully I'll be able to get started at the weekend. I'll keep you guys posted :thumbsup

More soon....

Last edited:

Hi all

Quick update

The last of the supplies arrived five minutes ago, so I will be able to get on with things this weekend and hopefully make some decent progress.

I've also got to get the degassing chamber sorted properly. I'm having a lip welded around the rim as the JB weld didn't stand up to the task. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my homemade chamber and I'm looking forward to using it properly.

More soon....

I feel my life would be incomplete without one of these... let me know when it comes available

Paul

Thanks for everything. Keep the frequent updates coming on the progress of this one. I am really excited to see the finished project!

[R U Slacking, a week with no updates?!? - JUST KIDDING!!!!!]

Last edited:

Hi all

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I was involved in a car accident a week last Friday and it wrote off my car. I'm ok now thankfully, but my wife's car also blew it's head gasket so I'm having to buy TWO new cars for the family now :(

It's not all bad news though. I had some time to think about the processes I'll be going through and realised I had missed a few items from my shopping list. Most of them have been bought and delivered, I'm just waiting on some of the medium/fine grit wet n dry to arrive so I can start the long process of sanding and buffing the parts :thumbsup

More soon....

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back