TrevorPatterson's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry: Action Figure Venom

Trevorpatterson

New Member
My 6yo son and 3yo daughter wanted to be spiderman / spider-girl this year and they requested I be Venom. I knew any of the venom costumes I could find on the market would be way too scary for them and their friends so after racking my brain on if I could modify anything out there I decided to just build the whole thing myself with foam.

1.jpg

Skinny Legs, Big Giant Chest and Arms.

I looked around and found a toy version online and kinda figured I could make this work if I focused on making giant chest and arms and treated it like I was a giant action figure.
2.jpg


That Toy i used in the mockup wasn't that easy to find to purchase without spending more that I wanted so I went to a vintage toy shop and found a cheap Abomination Toy that had a similar Large Chest and Arms I could use to scale up.
3.jpg


FIrst I wrapped him in cellophane and then taped him tightly with masking tape. Only on half since I could flip the pattern pieces over to create the other half. Then drew all of the shapes I could see.
4.jpg


Then named all the pieces and marked where they should line up.
5.jpg

6.jpg


Then Xacto cut all the pieces off of him and taped them down to a sheet of paper.
7.jpg


So I planned on just blowing them up on a copier but some of the edges didn't seem that clear. So I traced all of the shapes into illustrator first to help clean things up.
8.jpg


Next I took a picture of myself and scaled an overlaid toy on top of me to figure out what percentage I needed to scale the pieces up to. It was about 800% if i remember but I could be wrong on that one.
9.jpg


After cutting out all of the pattern pieces ( a couple hours while watching tv ) I then traced each piece twice onto a long foam mat I purchased at big lots for $19.
I would do about an hour a night and broke up this process over about a week.
10.jpg


Next came the cutting out process. A regular xacto sounded horrible so I looked up what others do and decided to purchase a hot knife for about $15. Definitely speed up the process. Again I broke up this process only doing it about an hour or two a night but I got it done in 3 or 4 nights.
12.jpg


Once I had all the pieces cut out I decided to start with the chest piece and crossed my fingers everything would line up and resemble the shapes I wanted. Everything came together pretty well as soon as i started. A little trial and error on figuring out which foam edges I needed to miter but thats about it. Working 1-2 hours a night I did the Chest 1 night, back the next, and then the top of the arm the third night. Doing the same work for the opposite side was always faster because I had a real size reference to look at.
13.jpg


Then came the rest of the arms including the fists which while they do look rather simple they had a lot of pieces to them.
14.jpg


Right around here was when I needed to kick it into overdrive because the weekend before halloween was coming up and I figured I'd start to need venom. Since I didn't have a toy to scale up for the head I had to freehand it. Found a lot of reference online and winged it.
15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg


Next was the process of sealing the foam in the 1/2 water & 1/2 glue mixture which I was able to do in one long friday night.
18.jpg


Next I spray painted him and thats when he came to life. There was definitely a monster sitting on my patio. Black Gloss Krylon Dual Paint + Primer saved me some time and then I used white latex house paint for the white. For the pin line in-between the spiders legs its just a sharpie (not yet done in this pic).
19.jpg


I was going to purchase buckles but I couldn't find any besides a few dog collars. So I ended up cutting off the buckles from a backpack and they worked great. I had one of the nylon webbings come undone while wearing it to a school event but I just backed it off a bit so as to give it a little more give and it worked.
The buckles are attached on one side so i can get in, and both arms are attached to the torso by one buckle each.
20.jpg


I attached the Jaw with a Chicago screw and later found that I could use a bit of scrap foam to make it touch and move with my jaw.
21.jpg


I barely made it in time for our first family halloween outing on saturday. The Paint was still a little tacky when we went to a local park carnival. So here is the first wear test shot in the full costume.
22.jpg


After that quick outing I had a few problems with the helmet riding lower and flopping around. So I decided to add some foam inserts cut from a pool foam noodle, and also attached some red tulle to get that red pop in the mouth and hide my face. The Jaw was also bowing out wide a bit so I pulled it in tighter with a piece of foam and attached the jaw connecter piece so that I could move the costumes jaw with mine.
23.jpg


So that pretty much did it. It was a little like wearing a mascot costume, not very mobile up top. I could see pretty well, and run around if I wanted to. I also really noticed that when I crouched down and hunched my shoulders up the costume really came to life since I was simulating the original toys pose.
24.jpg


25a.jpg


26.jpg
 
I dig the ingenuity here! I am planning to do a similar big chest and upper arms thing for my Salvador The Gunzerker next dragon-con. =0)
 
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back
Top