Trench coat coloring.

BladeRunner

I just bought a trench coat for my rorschach costume. It has a 100% cotton outer shell and I hope to be going out in the rain for hours and balling it up whenever possible for then next few months. Will any of this make the color darker because it is a little too light for the costume? Also if the rain and heavy usage will not darken it, do you you know of any other possible ways to get the effective color?

Just dip it in a little dye, should take beautifully if it is 100% cotton.
Many kinds and brands available.

Dharma Fiber Reactive Procion Dyes is a good cold water permanent dye.
Then there's the available nearly everywhere most common Rit dyes, but
they do tend to fade out over time.

Be sure to do some color tests on a hidden area before you plunge in the
entire coat, like an inside pocket flap--you know, the old "ounce of prevention
is worth a pound of cure" thing.

Shylaah

That would be tricky, and very tedious. I personally wouldn't try it as it
would be nearly impossible avoid getting some bleed over onto the lining.

Shylaah

While the fabric may be 100% cotton, what is it stitched with? If the thread has any polyester in it, it will not take dye the same as the fabric and you could end up with top stitching that is substantially lighter than the fabric.

Lynn

It says that the inside is heavily polyester, but the shell is 100% cotton. Trying to figure out what the stitching is, but I'm having trouble. I could post a link to the jacket if that would be of any help.

If the inside's 100% poly then using a cold dye like previously noted "sould" be fine. Polyester's relativly tough to dye without harsh chemicals, or higher temps...

Just dip it in a little dye, should take beautifully if it is 100% cotton.
Many kinds and brands available.

Dharma Fiber Reactive Procion Dyes is a good cold water permanent dye.
Then there's the available nearly everywhere most common Rit dyes, but
they do tend to fade out over time.

Be sure to do some color tests on a hidden area before you plunge in the
entire coat, like an inside pocket flap--you know, the old "ounce of prevention
is worth a pound of cure" thing.

Shylaah

If the inside's 100% poly then using a cold dye like previously noted "sould" be fine. Polyester's relativly tough to dye without harsh chemicals, or higher temps...

Just to elaborate on these two posts.

Shylaah suggested the cold water dye because you don't wan't to use hot on your jacket. Since your shell is 100% cotton, it may shrink in hot water. This is bad because the other parts that aren't cotton, won't shrink. Thusly, You'll want to hang dry it when you dye it. No hot dryer!

G33k is telling you that the dye you'll use on the cotton won't take on your poly lining. At best, it may tint it just a tad, but probably not in the cold water.

Now Risu brought up the waxed cotton. If it is waxed, it may not take dye at all because the wax will act as a resist. So the natural aging would be a good shot, though probably take a lot of time. Using airbrush paints is another alternative to this.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back