TrashSaber

I just can't throw cool stuff away!

The 8"pipe extension actually screwed into the front half of the assembly and tightened up nicely. A couple of black tapered plumbing gaskets slide on to help make the transition.

7336764474_44f33a050b.jpg

and now I push on the end piece.

7336764626_02e4e656bf.jpg

It's just a friction fit right now, I'll head over to the drill press and run a small screw through the side to hold it in place. But here's the look so far...

7316443124_4f811d5611.jpg

7316443206_ba9ab1625b.jpg

7316443848_8f01d26030.jpg

Now to figure out the grips as well. I'm open to suggestions!
:confused

Look for a cheap large flashlight with a rubberized grip, you might be able to slip it off the hologram and onto it. I'll have to see if i can find an example and take a pic.

I don't have windshield wipers, but I did find a ribbed rubber mat that I've cut up. I'll tack them onto the chrome extension tube and see how it looks. it would be nice if some metal showed through.

Ok, this is a test...

7338006704_56a97b6fc3.jpg

I like having some of the chrome show through... hmmm

I'll glue them on and see what it looks like when done for real.

Nah. didn't like it. However the backside of this ribbed mat had a cool texture!

So I cut out a piece to fit, created an opening for an other bit of gizzle left over from the lens and I'm gluing on the grip. I may have to add a few pop rivets to keep it in place, but I'm liking the direction.

7338358034_5178b8bbdc.jpg

The zip ties are just there to hold it while it dries overnight.

D48thRonin! that is a GREAT raygun!

Did you make a leather holster to hold it?
Thanks! No holster, as I'm afraid that it's a bit on the delicate side and something more akin to "art piece," rather than "beefy prop."

Nice job on the saber - that came together rather well :thumbsup

I'll get some finishing touches done to it today.

Saw MIB3 and between your rayguns and those weapons.. I might have to figure out some old tubes I have laying around from a toasted oscilloscope.

Hmm busted hack saw for a handle.... (warehouse 13?)

One project at a time, let me finish this one today! :)

ok, the final beauty shots.

(I busted out a better camera!)

Here's the front emitter.

7157193697_bee5e9bcac.jpg

and from a few feet away...

7342396038_2cee77c586.jpg

The bottom pommel piece with D-ring.

7342395882_7478a31d13.jpg

and the full saber.

7157193413_05146654ed_c.jpg

and a test.

7342460208_788fde9a00_z.jpg

another angle.

7157257289_a151256025.jpg

all in all a VERY satisfying project! I may never throw anything away ever again!

Total cost:
lens = free
8" chrome pipe extension = 3.98
2 rubber 1 1/2" pipe gaskets = 1.98
1 indicator light (for the "Switch") 6.99
1 mirror hanger (D-ring) 2.39

all the rest was scrap, scavenged, recycled.

WOOOO!

Thanks! This is my second prop build, I'm going to keep an eye open for some more curbside finds and see what my third is going to be.

I'm seriously going to put that old Oscilloscope on the bench and start tearing it apart and see what we can find.

The raygun was inspirational...

Cool! I just noticed the numbers on the old camera equipment...that's a really neat little detail that makes the saber seem more 'real'. I'm totally gonna see if I can steal that idea for my new saber!

Great work! As others have said, this is how the originals were built - hell this is how TONS of great props have been built up until recently - it's great to see a return to good looking off-the-shelf basics!

Awesome work! I love sabers that are built from found parts. Ever since reading "I, Jedi" I've wanted to do something to resemble Corran Horn's saber built from a speeder bike throttle assembly.

I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen! :D

This is awesome! Your own personal unique lightsaber build... you've inspired me... now I need to check around flea markets and pawn shops!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back