Transport Trooper Helmet Paint up

Sean Hebein

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Transport Trooper (ICAT) helmet from KB Props. I am eventually going to do the whole costume but just focusing on the helmet for now.

This is what I received:
THkJeGZ.jpg

The dome had some waves and dents due to some thin parts of Kevin's mold so going to have to fix those later:

HR1OXej.jpg

First I did a few passes of bondo and spot putty to fill in the pin holes and also to fix the wavey parts on the dome:

d8wJRzY.jpg

I did a few passes of filling and then inspecting and sanding and repeating haha. Eventually I laid down a coat of primer to reveal additional areas for improvement. I primed with etching primer from Duplicolor. Then I did more filling and sanding and repeating:

lv5Kgz7.jpg

1tCxCVB.jpg

sUxQogs.jpg

In hindsight I probably didn't need to be sooooo crazy with all of the filling and sanding but I wanted to make it so this thing looked like it came right from the factory before I dirtied it up.

Here's the helmet finally ready for paint:

i37V3qM.jpg

I usually like to paint with Duplicolor but they don't have anything that matches the color I needed so I decided to venture into Montana Gold spray paint. I ordered a few different colors and landed on Montana Nato. I had never sprayed with Montana before so initially I had a hard time getting a good finish. Finally figured out that I needed to hold the can a lot closer than I usually do. This is after I finished with the base coat:

ABWEK1C.jpg

Now it is time to dirty it up. I went to Michaels and bought a variety of hobby craft paints. Some browns, beiges, greens, teal\turquoise, black, and yellow. I also got some foam paint brushes, chip brushes, and some sea sponges. This is the first time that I have ever painted something like this but I watched a ton of YouTube painting\weathering tutorials. Sideshow has a painting series on Youtube that follow that also had some cool techniques that I wanted to try. This is the first past:

EMYcwL9.jpg

After that I kept layering on different shades and hitting different areas. At this point I dry brushed on some turqouise and also simulated some scratches with the chip brushes. I also added the greeblies to the front of the helmet at this point. I painted the vents with glossy black Duplicolor and I painted the front heatsink\grille greeb with Duplicolor galaxy silver and then weathered.

6F3HBlI.jpg

RHU7NWi.jpg

From here on out I just layered on the weathering using a combination of dabbing on color with sea sponges to get texture and using the circle foam brushes to dab on colors in areas and blend it in. I also used a teeny tiny sponge to simulate some edge weathering\paint chipping with Testors silver. Here is the final product:

vQRmoxK.jpg

zfAtCoe.jpg

ZAsZ3Jy.jpg

YnNfzSA.jpg

itL5dCI.jpg

I've had a few people ask me on FB how I got the splatter effect on the dome. I made 2 washes with acrylic paint, a black one and a white one. I loaded a paint brush with the black wash first and used a paper towel to remove most of the wash out of the brush. I held the brush about a foot away from the helmet and then hit the brush with my other hand to cause droplets to spray from the brush. I let the droplets sit on the helmet for 2 - 3 minutes and then I wiped away the excess which left the rings. I repeated the process with the white wash.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back