Transparent paint recommendations for backlit props/signs

takaaaa

Greetings,
Im looking for recommendations for transparent airbrush paints that can mimic backlit transparent vinyl signs. Kind of like vinyl sings that look opaque when not backlit but transparent when backlit. I would go with transparent vinyl but I have some projects that have compound curves or need blending of colors.
I have found paint specifically made for backlit vinyl signs but they only sell by the gallon.
I found common transparent/clear paints like tamiya, mr.color, and createx tends to be too transparent.
Hmmm maybe a very light coat of white, then transparent paint? I have backlit plain white paints before with somewhat success.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

You are looking for a translucent result.
Transparent- transmits image
Translucent transmits light but not image
Opaque transmits neither.
"glass frosting" paint will give you a translucent finish.
Steel wool on transparent plastic will give a nice translucent finish as well.
A thinned white would give you a better un-backlit color.
Depending on the brightness of you back light, a straight white may work fine.

So Strong makes pigments for epoxy resins that you can mix into resins like XTC and then apply to a sign, transparent object, whatever.

You control how much light gets through by adding thin layers. It takes time, but you can really control your final product.

Vallejo makes some transparent paints that can be shot through an airbrush. I've never tried it for backlighting myself. I did shoot some of the stuff over a silver chrome and it gave it a candy coat sort of finish, so it may work for your application. I'd start by spraying a thin coat then checking to see how the light is transmitting through it before adding more coats.

Tamiya have 5 transparent colors in acrylic that you can brush or airbrush on. may be an expensive route though.
it sounds like you want a translucent face (white when off), then a color filter, then the source light. May i suggest cellophane in this application?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back