Training wrist blades

MasterAnubis

Sr Member
O.K. It's Christmas eve and I'm really stoked that I finished this in time to give it to him tomorrow. I didn't make a bomb gauntlet yet but I think this little show piece will make him very happy.

EDIT: this is the proof of concept for my full size gauntlet: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=15510

So, I went off of his detailed schematic, and being told they should shoot out and then be reset.
blades1.jpg

I redrew it to meet my needs:
blades2.jpg

I used .125" ABS plastic and started with the forming of the gauntlet itself. I made a conical form out of galvanized sheet metal that I welded together. I made two for testing and my son fit an ABS and a Sintra version. The ABS looked a lot better when I was done so I chose that. I used the 'skin' side out for texturing.

I then formed the top cover over a 2X4 stud that made a nice little cover. I originally wanted it to be bolted together so that I could fix it if it broke. I decided to go with one bolt and have the top glued to the gauntlet. That’s why there is a second hole drilled. Not using the second bolt allowed me to have more movement out of the blades. I left the back open so that It could be reset.

I cut the blades out of two pieces that were 1"X6" and glued them together with a stack of scrap pieces using ABS glue. I rounded the tips pretty good and made sure that it didn't have any sharp edges. I used a small rubber band as the tension "spring". I used a strip of .062" abs as the leaf spring to hold the blades closed and glued a small triangle piece for the latch.

The final pieces primed and painted:
blades3.jpg

Here's the video of them working:

here's a good video of him wearing it.
(I also tried to make it a pull string activation, that met with limited success). I'm going to cut the bottom out more and add velcro straps.

This is really a prototype of half of the mechanism that I'm going to be using in my blades. A proof of concept that turned out really really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a photobucket acount and wanted to add pictures.

Both blades fresh off the band saw. they were taped together to make sure they were going to be the same. The total length of the blades is 6 inches.
Wblades6.jpg

Bothe blades after some roto tool touch up. The 'skin' will be on the inside and harder to see.
Wblades1.jpg

The arm buck that I used. The lines bracket how big I wanted it for my sons arm.
Wblades5.jpg

Glue up with a stack of scrap pieces to space them apart to the right width.
Wblades2.jpg

All of the pieces that I used in a pre-glued moch up.
Wblades8.jpg

Quinn's original drawing to show the spring action and button to launch the blades.
Wblades4.jpg

My drawings for the major components in scale.
Wblades3.jpg

Painted subassemblies.
Wblades7.jpg

Fully retracted and latched.
Wblades9.jpg

Fully extended with a little pressure to hold it out.
Wblades9a.jpg

This is the video again in a different format:
th_MOV07323.jpg

Wblades6.jpg

Wblades1.jpg

Wblades5.jpg

Wblades2.jpg

Wblades8.jpg

Wblades4.jpg

Wblades3.jpg

Wblades7.jpg

Wblades9.jpg

Wblades9a.jpg

th_MOV07323.jpg

That is very very very cool, expeciallly the design you have set up so that way the blades can launch out. Your son must be very proud to have a daddy like you ^_^
very cool =D

That is very very very cool, expeciallly the design you have set up so that way the blades can launch out. Your son must be very proud to have a daddy like you ^_^
very cool =D
Thank you. The design was my sons . He was really happy I did it like he told me he wanted. Yes, he is very proud of me :) . It can be rough because he thinks I can do almost anything
cool0016.gif

This design is simple enough that it is reliable. If the rubberband breaks I can replace it. I'm hoping this will inspire others to make something like this. Too often we get hung up on making things too complicated i.e. electronic or motorized. Wristblades aren't sharp, so pushing them in is a viable option. This is ABS but I plan on making it over in Sintra to see which is better for this. I really like the ABS though.

cool0016.gif

DAMN MAN!!! You been holding out on me son!!! those blades look freakin AWESOME...Aislynn's gonna be jealous now!!! you GOTTA help me make a pair of those for her (and for ME too)

Killer Job man!!!

DAMN MAN!!! You been holding out on me son!!! those blades look freakin AWESOME...Aislynn's gonna be jealous now!!! you GOTTA help me make a pair of those for her (and for ME too)

Killer Job man!!!

I will just be curious on how they will look in person when I play with them @ the next meeting :)

Killer Job man!!!
Thanks, but I didn't hold out on ya :). This is the first piece of Pred gear I've managed to finish... and it's not even for me. I made this from start to finish on Christmas Eve too. That includes starting this thread.

Without the inspiration of your blades, it probably would have never been finished.

Besides, you've seen some of the things I've made.... and I said I wanted moving blades . Good news is that it can be done with very few tools. I used about a 10" x 8" piece of plastic. I think if its doubled up then 'bucket plastic' would even work.

I'm designing mine now and it'll be a bit bigger (of course). The basic disign should be fine scaled up. I'm going to try to make it double action, we'll just have to see. I won't have to buy anything to get a prototype made for it. So if everything goes right it will be showable too when next we meet.

o_O My dad never had the talent to make something like this, though bless him he loved me anyway even for the messes I would make trying. Your son is vary lucky and I look forward to seeing more of this done.

Thanks guys,
I had just finished playing with Quinn and his blades. Then I checked the new posts to find ... a new post. I chuckled and pointed it out to my wife.

I actually modified the band of it by cutting the slot larger to add velcro bands. He didn't like them so I put rubber bands across it instead. He seems to be OK with it, I just don't really think it's better. Overall they're holding up great. I've only replaced the rubberband in it once.

I'm not satisfied with it, but he can get it on and off quicker and it's mor comfortable for him. I still plan on making at least one more in this size.
Qgauntlet-1.jpg

This is the thread of my full size version of this (if you haven't seen it yet). I'm still working on it and I'm due for an update.
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=15510

Qgauntlet-1.jpg

O.K. It's Christmas eve and I'm really stoked that I finished this in time to give it to him tomorrow. I didn't make a bomb gauntlet yet but I think this little show piece will make him very happy.

So, I went off of his detailed schematic, and being told they should shoot out and then be reset.

I redrew it to meet my needs:

I used .125" ABS plastic and started with the forming of the gauntlet itself. I made a conical form out of galvanized sheet metal that I welded together. I made two for testing and my son fit an ABS and a Sintra version. The ABS looked a lot better when I was done so I chose that. I used the 'skin' side out for texturing.

I then formed the top cover over a 2X4 stud that made a nice little cover. I originally wanted it to be bolted together so that I could fix it if it broke. I decided to go with one bolt and have the top glued to the gauntlet. That’s why there is a second hole drilled. Not using the second bolt allowed me to have more movement out of the blades. I left the back open so that It could be reset.

I cut the blades out of two pieces that were 1"X6" and glued them together with a stack of scrap pieces using ABS glue. I rounded the tips pretty good and made sure that it didn't have any sharp edges. I used a small rubber band as the tension "spring". I used a strip of .062" abs as the leaf spring to hold the blades closed and glued a small triangle piece for the latch.

The final pieces primed and painted:

Here's the video of them working:

here's a good video of him wearing it.
(I also tried to make it a pull string activation, that met with limited success). I'm going to cut the bottom out more and add velcro straps.

This is really a prototype of half of the mechanism that I'm going to be using in my blades. A proof of concept that turned out really really good.

where do you buy the abs plastic?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my plastic at the local Regal-Piedmont Plastics. They sell to the public and they have a location only 2 miles away. Brian’s Email (He's the salesman I worked with trying to pick out the right stuff)
bnicks@regalpiedmontplastics.com
I asked Brian about shipping. He said that they are willing to work with people(like cutting sheets down). But, they only sell full sheets 4' X 8' and if they freight full sheets there is a minimum of some kind.

http://www.piedmontplastics.com/
5720 S. 40th Street
Suite 3
Phoenix, Arizona 85040
Toll Free: 800-829-4770
Phone: 602-437-1000

1/8" sheet of black ABS with the 'hair cell' was about $35 +tax
1/8" sheet of white Sintra was about $30 (Add $5 for the black I got) +tax

Before I found them I called local sign companies. One place didn't know what Sintra was. The second place directed me to Piedmont. They were also willing to order me some if it turned out Piedmont didn't sell to the public. So, your local sign companies might be a good place to call to avoid big shipping bills. They might even have cutoff scraps too.

I should probably do a formal comparison of materials sometime too, here's a quick comp. Keep in mind that there are slightly different techniques for working with them and I am still a beginner at it. I also use TIG welding gloves. They're deer skin and fairly smooth.

ABS
Takes higher temps to shape and is heavier than Sintra.
It seems to be more resilient then Sintra when reheating and can form 3D shapes better.
I have .125", Stormtroopers usually use a .096".
I can glue it using ABS glue found in plumbing departments.

Sintra
Needs lower temps to shape and is the lightest plastic for its thickness.
When shaping it is susceptible to the pressure points of fingers and hands.

I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Daniel from Pennsylvania, US.
Well hi Daniel,
I'm glad glad your finding your way through The Lair.
That being said, you'll want to find your way to the guidlines:
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=8596
because your looking more like spam to me at the moment then a newb.

If I'm wrong, you'll want to introduce yourself in the intro thread:
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=20822

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back