Trailer: Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" Part 1

Re: Trailer: Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" *lots of DARK STRIKES AGAIN SPOILERS"

That made "Dark Knight Strikes Again" such a total letdown. It's very telling that I read that series once when it came out, and never picked it up again. :unsure

It took me two or three readings to appreciate DKSA. If you were hoping for more of the same, of course you would be dissappointed. _Returns_ was a Batman story. _Strikes_ was more of an expanded DC Universe story. You could even be justified if you claim it is more of a Superman story guest-starring Batman.

The story features Superman's love interest/mate Diana, reveals Superman's rebelious teen daughter, Superman's family dynamic, Superman's catch-22 dilemna, and the main antagonist is HIS greatest adversary, not Baman's. It updates the relationship beween Bruce and Clark in a great way and demonstrates why Bruce is DC's one true Alpha Male.

It has some of the greatest moments out of all eight issues. I will forever laugh at the huge raging emotional erection Bruce manifests when Hawkman's son crashes through the window to avenge his father. Bruce can't kill to avenge his own father's murder, but he is almost orgasmic when "Hawkson" has no problem crushing President Luthor's head with a mace.

I very much enjoyed the scene where Batman comforts Carrie after she is forced to discipline a S.O.B. to maintain order in the ranks. It's a callback lto the "good soldier" scene in Returns when Carrie was 13. Now that she is a young woman and more of a daughter than a sidekick that scene hints at a more mature psycological Electra dynamic. And I'm not talking about DareDevil's girlfriend. Also created by Frank Miller, who has writted the greatest DAREDEVIL stories as well.

It also includes what I consider to be the greatest comic line of dialogue ever delivered by Barry Allen when Carrie razzes the Flash on his old costume.

"That's the problem with today's kids; they can't appreciate the difference between old ...and CLASSIC."

Of course that is just me. Life's seasoning has given me appreciation for other things.

I'm not talking about ACCENT. :lol

Last edited:
That made "Dark Knight Strikes Again" such a total letdown. It's very telling that I read that series once when it came out, and never picked it up again. :unsure

We don't speak of that disjointed disaster.
I think of that Bat book as if Miller took acid.

Have you read Frank Miller's Holy Terror. [Not Batman; Holy Terror]

It was originally called Holy Terror, Batman! [yeah] It started out as Batman vs. Al Qaeda. Because of negative feedback Miller erased the Batman elements and added Sin City, and Dirty Harry in Empire City.

But it's pretty obvious it started as Batman, Catwoman, Gordon, and Gotham.

Weird.

diplomacy.jpg

Last edited:
Squirk, you seem very much in tune with the comic realm... I'm currently waiting on Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin series, Volumes 1-4, right now (Coming through the mail.) Should I be as excited as I am?

I think you'll like it better than Frank Miller's run on ASBAR. I'm not sure if that isn't worse than "Strikes Again".

While I agree that TDKR was a good story, and I appreciate what it did for the Batman mythos, I will have to admit I do not really care for it. Maybe it's because of my being an artist...The art in the book is just about the worst comic book art I have ever seen!! Just absolutely horrible.

To me, yeah, it's a good read, but it is not a good 'look at' (for lack of a better term). I bought it when it first came out and it took me two or three times to get through it just because of the art. I hate it! It looks like it was drawn by a ten year old.

I read comics for two things; story AND art. If either one drops the ball, my enjoyment is gone.

While I agree that TDKR was a good story, and I appreciate what it did for the Batman mythos, I will have to admit I do not really care for it. Maybe it's because of my being an artist...The art in the book is just about the worst comic book art I have ever seen!! Just absolutely horrible.

To me, yeah, it's a good read, but it is not a good 'look at' (for lack of a better term). I bought it when it first came out and it took me two or three times to get through it just because of the art. I hate it! It looks like it was drawn by a ten year old.

I read comics for two things; story AND art. If either one drops the ball, my enjoyment is gone.

Sad thing is that so many people try to emulate the art in it. Every Deadspace comic book and so many others these days use that style he used or poor copies of it that they make your eyes bleed.

I'm not sure if it was Frank Miller's pencils as much as it was Klaus Janson's inking. Take a look at "Gothic," one of the first story arcs from "Legends of the Dark Knight." It was both pencilled and inked by Janson, and has that same "scribble-scratch" quality that TDKR has.

Hey, man! Those were 100% real. :lol

Kid friendly? That was the whole point of the whole Dark Knight Returns graphic novels. It was a storyline for mature readers. If they can't do the story right, I'd just assume they made a kiddy toon. With Batman Babies in the roles.

Look what happened to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I might have to get my copy out and read it again.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Just watched Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 2

I just downloaded it from Amazon and I must say...Best 2 hours and 30 minutes I have ever watched. You guys are in for a treat if you decide to wait for it on bluray. Best animated Batman movie to date.:thumbsup Also, if somebody could explain to me why Superman turned into a zombie, that'd be great. I didn't understand that part.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back