TPM Obi-Wan Kenobi belt replica

Cantina_Dude

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello there! :rolleyes:

I've recently had an unexpected desire to make a replica of young Obi-Wan's belt from Episode I to utilize some of my new basic leather craft skills and bang out a quick project in-between other task. While I didn't do a super deep dive into all the ins and outs of the original belts, I did a little bit of scaling work to nail down the basic dimensions of a 2.5" wide main belt with a 0.5" wide top belt and the rough location of the button studs and buckle. A Covertec clip and some original pen lid "food capsules" that I made over 20 years ago helped confirm things.

CD_OWK_TPM_Belt_Progress_01.JPG

I wanted a really deep brown colour so I gave all the leather pieces a few coats of "Walnut" dye and some neatsfoot oil to darken things nicely.

CD_OWK_TPM_Belt_Progress_02.JPG

After a top coat to seal it all I assembled everything with the button studs and affixed the loops around the top belt attaching to either side of the buckle.

CD_OWK_TPM_Belt_Progress_03.JPG

You'll note that I decided on this type of closure at the back, which will work best for the display application this belt is destined for. A couple of the same button studs used to align the top belt pop through a couple holes on the other end of the belt flap. The ends of the top belt pieces are riveted in place. All of this attachment gets hidden by the "keeper" which I made from a loop of the same 2.5" wide leather as the main belt.

CD_OWK_TPM_Belt_Progress_04.JPG

CD_OWK_TPM_Belt_Progress_05.JPG

CD_OWK_TPM_Belt_Progress_06.JPG

I used the same 8-9 oz leather for the main belt, top belt, and the keeper loop, while I used some thinner leather (probably like 6-7 oz) to make the little loops that affix the top belt around the buckle, which appears to mimic the construction of the originals.

CD_OWK_TPM_Belt_Progress_07.JPG

I gave the leather a little "pre-weathering" before assembly, but will likely rough things up a bit more over time. But for now, it's done!

CD_OWK_TPM_Belt_01.JPG

I'd love to track down some resin cast pouches with some lineage to the originals if there are some out there, so if anyone has any up for grabs or can point me in the direction of some, please do let me know! If that doesn't happen, I might take a stab at sculpting some myself and casting them in resin. The method of attaching the pouches to the belt using Covertec clips seems so silly to me, but that's how they did it in TPM, so I might have to do the same. The metal clips utilized for AOTC and ROTS is a much cleaner approach, but it's a TPM version I'm after so...

There has been only one person who I found made pouches off original molds and he stopped making them a long time ago. I contacted him and he doesn't do it anymore. So I made my own you can see the final prints here...

Jedi belt pouches

Very nice work! (y) and I really love your last photo
Thank you very much! Perhaps not as in depth an account of the construction process as your Padme blaster build, but I'm glad you dig the photos!

There has been only one person who I found made pouches off original molds and he stopped making them a long time ago. I contacted him and he doesn't do it anymore. So I made my own you can see the final prints here...

Jedi belt pouches
Great job with your digital sculpts! It looks like you've really nailed the look of the original resin pouches. How did you determine the scale at which to print out your models for your "full sized" versions? That would be the toughest part to get right, especially with more organic shapes like these pouches...

I got a covertec clip used that to measure, I also found an old pic for the small pouch on the propstore that had a measurement for it. It was a lot of photoshop work and guessing. I'm not 100% on scale but I think I'm close enough that no one can tell the difference(who has an original set to call me wrong ya know).

I also have feeling that the pouches shrunk a little between tpm and rots. With out an original set of pouches though it's picture scaling and measuring hoping you have the pictures with the least amount of lens distortion. At this point I would almost S a D for an original set just to see how close I got.

I got a covertec clip used that to measure, I also found an old pic for the small pouch on the propstore that had a measurement for it. It was a lot of photoshop work and guessing. I'm not 100% on scale but I think I'm close enough that no one can tell the difference(who has an original set to call me wrong ya know).

I also have feeling that the pouches shrunk a little between tpm and rots. With out an original set of pouches though it's picture scaling and measuring hoping you have the pictures with the least amount of lens distortion.
Right on! Scaling to the Covertec clip is probably your best bet at getting a hard surface measurement to reference against.
At this point I would almost S a D for an original set just to see how close I got.
:lol: I respect your dedication.

this is amazing! I'm so interested in this.. so, how do metal rivet things get installed on leather with no visible thread or anything?

I never realized the central strip was just held in place with guides, this is really neat

Thanks for the kind words, folks!
so, how do metal rivet things get installed on leather with no visible thread or anything?
The double cap rivets I used on this belt are made of two pieces, one with a cap and a sheath and the other with a cap and a post. Each piece goes into a hole that is punched through the two layers of leather from opposite sides, with the post from one side coupling with the sheath from the other side. Then the whole thing gets hammered with a little rivet setting tool from one side that effectively mushrooms the post inside the sheath, binding them together permanently. The rivet setting tool has a dished tip that preserves the dome shape of the cap on the side you hammer from, but the other side gets a bit flattened if you are just hammering against a flat surface, so it's best to set the rivet from your "good side" and have the flattened side hidden on the back if possible.

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

The double cap rivets I used on this belt are made of two pieces, one with a cap and a sheath and the other with a cap and a post. Each piece goes into a hole that is punched through the two layers of leather from opposite sides, with the post from one side coupling with the sheath from the other side. Then the whole thing gets hammered with a little rivet setting tool from one side that effectively mushrooms the post inside the sheath, binding them together permanently. The rivet setting tool has a dished tip that preserves the dome shape of the cap on the side you hammer from, but the other side gets a bit flattened if you are just hammering against a flat surface, so it's best to set the rivet from your "good side" and have the flattened side hidden on the back if possible.
Very nice work!

I just want to point out that there are also screw-on versions of these button studs available. My daughter made her own prequel Jedi belt last Halloween, and we found these at a local JOANN Fabric and Crafts store. They were easy to use and really completed the look. I have no idea how accurate they are, but they were perfect for a Halloween costume.

1620070560097.png
1620071033139.png

Realeather Crafts Button Studs Silver Plated | JOANN

Hello there! :rolleyes:

I've recently had an unexpected desire to make a replica of young Obi-Wan's belt from Episode I to utilize some of my new basic leather craft skills and bang out a quick project in-between other task. While I didn't do a super deep dive into all the ins and outs of the original belts, I did a little bit of scaling work to nail down the basic dimensions of a 2.5" wide main belt with a 0.5" wide top belt and the rough location of the button studs and buckle. A Covertec clip and some original pen lid "food capsules" that I made over 20 years ago helped confirm things.

View attachment 1452092

I wanted a really deep brown colour so I gave all the leather pieces a few coats of "Walnut" dye and some neatsfoot oil to darken things nicely.

View attachment 1452093

After a top coat to seal it all I assembled everything with the button studs and affixed the loops around the top belt attaching to either side of the buckle.

View attachment 1452094

You'll note that I decided on this type of closure at the back, which will work best for the display application this belt is destined for. A couple of the same button studs used to align the top belt pop through a couple holes on the other end of the belt flap. The ends of the top belt pieces are riveted in place. All of this attachment gets hidden by the "keeper" which I made from a loop of the same 2.5" wide leather as the main belt.

View attachment 1452095

View attachment 1452096

View attachment 1452097

I used the same 8-9 oz leather for the main belt, top belt, and the keeper loop, while I used some thinner leather (probably like 6-7 oz) to make the little loops that affix the top belt around the buckle, which appears to mimic the construction of the originals.

View attachment 1452098

I gave the leather a little "pre-weathering" before assembly, but will likely rough things up a bit more over time. But for now, it's done!

View attachment 1452099

I'd love to track down some resin cast pouches with some lineage to the originals if there are some out there, so if anyone has any up for grabs or can point me in the direction of some, please do let me know! If that doesn't happen, I might take a stab at sculpting some myself and casting them in resin. The method of attaching the pouches to the belt using Covertec clips seems so silly to me, but that's how they did it in TPM, so I might have to do the same. The metal clips utilized for AOTC and ROTS is a much cleaner approach, but it's a TPM version I'm after so...

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that buckle? My daughter and I were not able to find one as nice as that.

I just want to point out that there are also screw-on versions of these button studs available.
The button studs I used are screw-on, but the rivets I used to affix the top belt to the main belt at the back are cap rivets that are hammer set as I described. Here's a photo with the screw-on button studs on the left and the hammer set double cap rivets on the right.
CD_OWK_TPM_Hardware.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that buckle? My daughter and I were not able to find one as nice as that.
I got the buckle a while back from an Etsy seller called "Saberbelt" here: Obi Wan Prequel Trilogy Buckle

It's a fairly nicely made buckle that actually functions like the originals, but there were some flaws in the plating on mine so I decided to lean into it by going for a weathered look.

Very nice leatherwork! I am on board with Saberbelt's buckles and button studs being the most accurate out there and Janglesworthy's belt pouches being dead on accurate. I'd love to see your set up with a completed costume if you ever get that far. Very nice work on the belt. As much as I love Obi-Wan's costume from Revenge of the Sith, I love his Phantom Menace costume equally as much and it's nice to see it getting some appreciation.

Very nice leatherwork! I am on board with Saberbelt's buckles and button studs being the most accurate out there and Janglesworthy's belt pouches being dead on accurate. I'd love to see your set up with a completed costume if you ever get that far. Very nice work on the belt. As much as I love Obi-Wan's costume from Revenge of the Sith, I love his Phantom Menace costume equally as much and it's nice to see it getting some appreciation.
Thanks! I don't think I'll likely put together a complete costume as the concept for this belt is to make a little display to hang a replica lightsaber hilt on, which is another upcoming project I'm hoping to take on. I really like the details of the belt, pouches, "food capsules", and lightsaber on the Kenobi costume from TPM, so that is what I'm focusing on. I don't have any particular timeline, so we'll just have to see what I can come up with when I get the chance!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back