Toy Story 4 - Movie Accurate Woody Doll

CAKComedyProps

Here's a video I made on this project so far:

I've always wanted a Woody doll from Toy Story that has the "default face" when he is in toy mode. Now that new toys are being released now for the 4th film, I found a doll that is close enough to the right face, so I'm going to swap the head onto an accurate body when I get a signature collection doll.

I'll post pics here through the modification process and when it's done.

That's awesome! Great paint work. I was planning on molding, resculpting, and casting a closed mouth head for my Signature Collection Woody, but now I'll definitely be following your build. One fix I did make was to separate the fingers on that doll, since they're fused together. Just a folded piece of sandpaper carefully sawing out a gap between them.

Awesome! I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that version of Woody. Great job on the paint.

This looks fantastic! Amazing paint work. As far as I can tell, the only thing inaccurate about this head, besides the lack of hair highlights that you addressed in your video and are planning to add, is that its eyebrows are asymmetrical. Is there any way at all that one of the eyebrows could be lowered? Not sure how that could be done without really extensive modification, but if it's possible, the head would become 100% accurate.

This looks fantastic! Amazing paint work. As far as I can tell, the only thing inaccurate about this head, besides the lack of hair highlights that you addressed in your video and are planning to add, is that its eyebrows are asymmetrical. Is there any way at all that one of the eyebrows could be lowered? Not sure how that could be done without really extensive modification, but if it's possible, the head would become 100% accurate.

I could sand off the eyebrow and resculpt it lower, but I don’t really feel like it’s necessary. The head is already so close it doesn’t bother me. The head is also somewhat flexible so the sculpting could crack if it bends.

CAKComedyProps, you mentioned in your video that the pull string ring should probably be 3/4" in diameter, which prompted me to buy some and see if they are a better size than the 1" ring I replaced the original ring on my Collection Woody with years ago, which I always thought was a smidge too large.

I can now confirm that the 3/4" ring is the perfect size, as you can see below. It's too bad that the pull string hole is positioned lower on his back than it is in the movies, but what can you do.

IMG_0231.JPGIMG_0233.jpg

Got my rings here, same brand as yours.

Last edited:
New update video coming soon!
The head is on the body. The pullstring doesn’t work anymore unfortunately, but I am only using this doll for display anyway so I don’t really care too much.
Just need to do the hair striping and it’s basically complete.

Attachments

• B46925C4-AE21-40A2-ACBC-70464844C1EB.jpeg
    B46925C4-AE21-40A2-ACBC-70464844C1EB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,427
  • E4E52005-1DD7-4E9E-A7F1-A9D33EE108B4.jpeg
    E4E52005-1DD7-4E9E-A7F1-A9D33EE108B4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26,405
I have always wondered why they couldn't make and sell a true exact replica of Woody and Buzz. You make the movies, you make they toys... why not make them match?

They've come really close. But always left off one or two things. For example, I've never seen a Buzz toy with push-button opening and closing of his dome, or a squeaky head. I don't remember if I've ever seen the karate chop action either. I'm not an expert by any means but I feel like they could do it.

They've come really close. But always left off one or two things. For example, I've never seen a Buzz toy with push-button opening and closing of his dome, or a squeaky head. I don't remember if I've ever seen the karate chop action either. I'm not an expert by any means but I feel like they could do it.

It does seem like they'd be able to do better more often. I've never seen a Buzz with a button activated dome, but I do know that at least some of them have karate chop action. I'm fairly sure that the one I have has it, I'll have to pick it up from my parent's place the next time I'm over there.

I found one of these Woody dolls at Target with the more accurate face, I'm definitely going to consider trying to do a head transplant.

Awesome. My question is, Are you gonna make the rest of the gang? Also, You think you might make his stand thats seen in TS2?

I just saw Toy Story 4 last night (very good, I thought—not as good as TS3 but a very worthy installment), and there are a bunch of new details about Woody that we haven't seen before (or at least I didn't notice in previous films):

The buttons on his shirt are meant to be pearlescent/opalescent, not pure white.

His vest is meant to be sewn flat onto his shirt, and not a separate removable piece. There shouldn't be any obvious white stitching on it over the black cowskin spots either.

His sheriff badge is removable.

The red jewel on his holster is shiny and translucent, unlike the opaque one on the Toy Story Collection Woody.

The stitching on his hat should be a plastic lacing cord, not fabric string.

Making these little changes would really push your replica to the next level, CAKComedyProps. The hat stitching cord should be fairly easy to find, and I'm sure you could find a plastic ruby that would be the proper size for the holster. Not sure about the buttons though.

For swapping the heads, you have to disassemble the body and pull the old head out. There is a zip tie already in the collar of the shirt, so you have to cut that and put a new one in and attach the head with the zip tie. Then shave the top of the body down so it will fit.

I may build a TS2 stand, not sure yet.

As far as little details go, I may do some changes later to match the details that SquidMan mentioned. I am seeing TS4 tomorrow so I’ll see some other details to add from the movie.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back